• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Qtc value matter if we use DSP?

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Treatment might be helpful but the shape doesn't lend itself well to that, broadband absorbers need to be in the region of 6" or more in thickness to avoid them just modifying the reflections. I mean the shape of the baffle, if the driver will be inset, a small chamfered waveguide used, the width of the baffle, the native directivity of the driver being used.

These things will matter a lot, the Qtc of the cabinet will be almost irrelevant unless you make it way too high.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
I will keep Qtc at 0.5 so the amp won't be that much loaded plus there is plenty of room in the corner for a larger cabinet
I will apply 20cm (approx. 8") thick broadband absorbers on the front wall (covering it almost entirely) but I will not be able to apply absorbers on the side walls at all (living room environment)
Drivers will be front mounted and not back mounted, no waveguide. The baffle will be just a few mm wider than the speakers with rounded edges
I am not sure about the directivity of the drivers though

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will keep Qtc at 0.5 so the amp won't be that much loaded plus there is plenty of room in the corner for a larger cabinet
I will apply 20cm (approx. 8") thick broadband absorbers on the front wall (covering it almost entirely) but I will not be able to apply absorbers on the side walls at all (living room environment)
Drivers will be front mounted and not back mounted, no waveguide. The baffle will be just a few mm wider than the speakers with rounded edges
I am not sure about the directivity of the drivers though
I'm not sure from your description if you intend to keep the trapezoid shape that Murphy used, that is probably the best option for corner placement. There is then space on either side to place some absorbent near to the speaker, it should be possible to make that domestically acceptable. You could at least test the effect of it fairly easily to see if it is worthwhile enough to incorporate permanently.

I would think carefully about 8" of absorbent on the whole front wall. There is no direct sound from the speakers to be absorbed in this direction and you will probably just end up with too much high frequency absorption unless the rest of your room is highly reflective.

Top Bottom