• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does MOTU M2 cut frequencies at 20kHz when used as a DAC?

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is the limitation they face?
A lack of demand? They're consumer devices after all, not lab equipment.
As long as the DAC can play flat(ish) to 20k or maybe 30-40k, it fulfills its job. So why spend money on R&D to further increase bandwidth?
Surely a 100kHz audio signal path is not a problem.
Depends. I think it would be difficult to find a DAC that plays flat to 100kHz.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Some audiophiles always demand everything and anything anyway. A simple reason is modern DAC chips are mostly delta-sigma, so there would be gradual rise of noise at higher frequencies. The older ones like CS4272 quickly rises beyond 25kHz or so, the newer/higher grades one would have this doubled + a gentler slope, so the analog filters also need to gradually tame the ultrasonic noise and the result is some high frequency droop.

Also, digital filters typically operating at 8 to 16x in single speed (44.1/48k). When dealing with higher sample rates, some filter stages are dropped and this effectively reduced the filter length, the result is also some gradual roll off, like the post below:
The ESS datasheet screenshot is not the latest version though.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as the DAC can play flat(ish) to 20k or maybe 30-40k, it fulfills its job. So why spend money on R&D to further increase bandwidth?
I disagree.

I’m so glad that I already had found one without realising that I had.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

JA at stereophile typically tests FR up to 192 khz rates. His results would indicate you are probably wrong. The great majority of DACs show flat or nearly flat response to 80 khz at those elevated rates. Of course a DAC at 192 khz isn't flat to 100 khz, you'd expect it to be flat to 80 khz.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I disagree.
A consumer DAC's job is to let humans consume audio. Humans cannot consume audio past 20kHz. As long as the DAC is flat to 20kHz, it fulfills that part of its job.
I’m so glad that I already had found one without realising that I had.
According to that graph, the Benchmark DAC3 is flat(ish) to just above 80kHz, let alone 90, let alone 100. Please tell me what DAC you had found that is flat to 100.

staticV3

Master Contributor
His results would indicate you are probably wrong.
About what? That it would be difficult to find a DAC which plays flat to 100kHz? How do his results disprove that? You said that many of the DACs that he tested play nearly flat to 80kHz. That's not what I claimed.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A consumer DAC's job is to let humans consume audio. Humans cannot consume audio past 20kHz. As long as the DAC is flat to 20kHz, it fulfills that part of its job.

According to that graph, the Benchmark DAC3 is flat(ish) to just above 80kHz, let alone 90, let alone 100. Please tell me what DAC you had found that is flat to 100.
Nyquist at 192 khz is 96 khz. So you cannot have 100 khz and meet Nyquist rules. Since you also need a transition zone for filters you attempt to get flat to 20 khz with 44.1 or 48 khz rates. 4 times that is 80 khz. And typically that is what you see, response to around 80 khz at 192 khz sample rates. You need higher than 192 khz rates before you can get 100 khz flat. As few devices on the ADC side do more than 192 khz you'll find measurements of that scarce.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
About what? That it would be difficult to find a DAC which plays flat to 100kHz? How do his results disprove that? You said that many of the DACs that he tested play nearly flat to 80kHz. That's not what I claimed.
I suppose I had in mind your earlier post that fewer than half the DACs meet Nyquist at the higher sample rates.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I suppose I had in mind your earlier post that fewer than half the DACs meet Nyquist at the higher sample rates.
I suppose instead of "meet Nyquist", "come close to Nyquist" would've been the better wording.
Nowadays even some of the cheapest mobile chipsets can do 384kHz and 768kHz support is pretty common in desktop DACs and even some dongles claim to do it.
Yet I couldn't name a single DAC that plays a 100kHz sine w/o several dB of attenuation compared to 1kHz. (Can you?)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose instead of "meet Nyquist", "come close to Nyquist" would've been the better wording.
Nowadays even some of the cheapest mobile chipsets can do 384kHz and 768kHz support is pretty common in desktop DACs and even some dongles claim to do it.
Yet I couldn't name a single DAC that plays a 100kHz sine w/o several dB of attenuation compared to 1kHz. (Can you?)
I don't have a way to test for it. I don't care. Again very few ADC's go beyond 192 khz. So measurements are scarce. I could do a measurement with a dedicated meter or O-scope. I haven't done such a thing. We are now far afield of the OP's question about response to at least 26 khz. Plenty of mic pres, and line level analog devices based upon chips are dead flat to 200 khz. Toppings pre is flat to 200 khz and confirmed by JA. I don't see a reason their DACs don't have an analog output capable of it. I suppose I could try one DAC I have which is 384 khz capable by measuring with my 50 year old analog Simpson 260. Those were supposed to be -1 db down at 100 khz on the 2.5 volt scale. Who knows if it is still accurate at that frequency.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Toppings pre is flat to 200 khz and confirmed by JA. I don't see a reason their DACs don't have an analog output capable of it.
Topping's flagship D90SE DAC starts rolling off at ~15kHz according to their own specs.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I am aware that 20Hz-20kHz is called "an audible range". However, there is also the observation stated above which I made for myself. In fact, I made it before I learned about lossless audio formats and that was how I started listening to flacs: the presence of past-20kHz frequencies became an important a priori criterion for me which was confirmed on several occasions in a kind of blind tests.
Welcome
Can you tell us , how you came to the observations that to quote you : "the presence of past-20kHz frequencies became an important a priori criterion for me which was confirmed on several occasions in a kind of blind tests"... How did you remove the content past 20 KHz? How were the blind tests performed? On what equipment? What recordings? That would help us understand, because past 20 KHz there is so little energy in most music and most transducers are not that good up there . .

Peace

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping's flagship D90SE DAC starts rolling off at ~15kHz according to their own specs.
That DAC has 7 filters. One of them starts a roll off at 15 khz at 44.1 khz sample rates. The other 6 are flat to 20 khz. More than likely if tested one filter would be rolling off at 60 khz at 192 khz and the others at 80 khz. Of course it could be different until you test it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That DAC has 7 filters. One of them starts a roll off at 15 khz at 44.1 khz sample rates. The other 6 are flat to 20 khz. More than likely if tested one filter would be rolling off at 60 khz at 192 khz and the others at 80 khz. Of course it could be different until you test it.
No. The graph on Topping's website shows bandwidth to 40kHz and beyond so oversampling filter response at 44.1kHz is not a factor here.

Edit: also, only two of the seven oversampling filters are flat to 20kHz at 44.1 (Lin Fast, Min Fast). Not six.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No. The graph on Topping's website shows bandwidth to 40kHz and beyond so oversampling filter response at 44.1kHz is not a factor here.

Edit: also, only two of the seven oversampling filters are flat to 20kHz at 44.1 (Lin Fast, Min Fast). Not six.
Okay, great, you win pedantic poster of the day.

So technically the norm is bandwidth measurements are +/- 0 to -3 db. And flat is considered to -.1 db. Plenty of devices manage -3 db bandwidth to 200 khz. That means they'll be down around -1 db at 100 khz. That should make you happy. Of course there are exceptions if you look hard enough. In general the analog sections of most DACs are going have a bandwidth of 200 khz or so. So they might miss being flat at elevated rates even 80 khz. Throw in the modern fashion of using multiple filters and results get more variable. Give me flat to 20 khz and I'm pretty happy. Anything over the 96 khz sampling rate is a waste for audio.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The nyquest frequency of a 192kHz sampling rate is 96kHz. That is the theoretical frequency. 44.1kHz sampling is used for 20kHz and 2kHz is left for the LP filter to work. Interpolate that to 4x sampling you need at least 8kHz for the filter to work. That gives you 84kHz possible bandwidth, which is how the DAC3 is measured.

Was that clear?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The nyquest frequency of a 192kHz sampling rate is 96kHz. That is the theoretical frequency. As a 44.1kHz sampling is used for 20kHz. 2kHz is left for the LP filter to work. Interpolate that to 4x sampling you need at least 8kHz for the filter to work. That gives you 84kHz possible bandwidth, which is what the DAC3 is measured.

Was that clear?
Perfectly clear. I still haven't found a DAC with flat response to 100kHz. Obviously sample rate support of >192kHz would be required for that. The Benchmark DAC3 supports up to 210kHz sample rate.
Many modern DACs (even the very cheapest <$10 ones) support 384kHz sample rates. Yet I don't know a single one that plays flat to 100kHz.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perfectly clear. I still haven't found a DAC with flat response to 100kHz. Obviously sample rate support of >192kHz would be required for that. The Benchmark DAC3 supports up to 210kHz sample rate.
Many modern DACs (even the very cheapest <$10 ones) support 384kHz sample rates. Yet I don't know a single one that plays flat to 100kHz.
I didn’t realise you were looking for such a device. OP was looking up to 26kHz, which is not a limit on any device that I know.

Maybe you can start a new thread with an explanatory title so that others may be of help in your quest.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I didn’t realise you were looking for such a device.
You claimed that a 100kHz signal path would surely be not a problem.
I said that a DAC that plays flat to 100kHz would be hard to come by.
Both you and Blumlein then replied that such DACs are very common actually, yet failed to name even a single one.

So no, I am not looking for such a device, simply claiming that it is not at all common.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You claimed that a 100kHz signal path would surely be not a problem.
I said that a DAC that plays flat to 100kHz would be hard to come by.
Both you and Blumlein then replied that such DACs are very common actually, yet failed to name even a single one.

So no, I am not looking for such a device, simply claiming that it is not at all common.
You are now being pedantic.

I used the figure 100kHz as a round value during the discussions about M2's 20-20kHz DAC spec and whether its output can go as high as 26kHz. I asked why wouldn't any DAC reach its Nyquist frequency? You replied:
I think it would be difficult to find a DAC that plays flat to 100kHz.
I and @Blumlein 88 show you at least one that was measured at 80kHz. At 192kHz sampling, which is the maximum for M2 works at. You now increased sampling to 8x 16x. It is obvious you are now arguing for the sake of arguing.

Not a good look.

Top Bottom