• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does it makes sense the Topping EX5 now in end of 2021?

bsas

So, if one have the D50s+A50s stack or maybe the L50+E50 stack, does it make any sense the "all in one" EX5? I am conflicted about which stack to go, please help :(

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I changed my desktop setup from the D50s/A50s/P50 stack to an EX5 primarily to resolve a ground loop issue when the stack was connected to my iLoud MTM monitors. I also preferred the simplicity of the single box solution and reduced cabling on my desk. My x50 stack has been moved to a new location by my 'easy listening chair' where it's fed by Chromecast Audio or Bluetooth and only drives headphones (so no potential for ground loop issues).

OP
B

bsas

I changed my desktop setup from the D50s/A50s/P50 stack to an EX5 primarily to resolve a ground loop issue when the stack was connected to my iLoud MTM monitors. I also preferred the simplicity of the single box solution and reduced cabling on my desk. My x50 stack has been moved to a new location by my 'easy listening chair' where it's fed by Chromecast Audio or Bluetooth and only drives headphones (so no potential for ground loop issues).

Interesting that you had ground loops still with the P50 linear power supply... Any idea why?

MRC01

Major Contributor
I like the single-unit packaging, especially the EX5 which measures so well in both categories - as a DAC, and as an amp. And with both SE and Balanced outputs, headphone & line, it's a great little unit. No need for a stack. However, I encountered some software bugs with the EX5 that made it a no-go for me.
I like the idea of a single unit. I'm still looking for a great implementation of it...

OP
B

bsas

I like the single-unit packaging, especially the EX5 which measures so well in both categories - as a DAC, and as an amp. And with both SE and Balanced outputs, headphone & line, it's a great little unit. No need for a stack. However, I encountered some software bugs with the EX5 that made it a no-go for me.
I like the idea of a single unit. I'm still looking for a great implementation of it...

Can you tell me what exactly software bugs you encounter? Thanks!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that you had ground loops still with the P50 linear power supply... Any idea why?

A linear power supply, like the P50, won't prevent ground loops. A ground loop can form when single ended/unbalanced connections are used because 'signal ground' can get mixed with 'safety/power ground'. You have to consider the whole chain of connected devices. In my case the path was something like... PC to DAC via USB power ground, between DAC and HP Amp via RCA ground, between HP Amp and monitors via RCA ground and out through the monitor through the power ground (third power pin). The problem only manifested after I swapped my Tannoy Reveal 402 monitors (with 2 pin power) with the iLoud MTMs (with 3 pin power). i.e. there was no path to ground with the 402's, but I added one with the MTM's (it's not the MTM's fault, I love 'em :))

MRC01

Major Contributor
Can you tell me what exactly software bugs you encounter? Thanks!
Details are in the EX5 review thread, starting here:

In short:
With SPDIF input from some devices, the EX5 display always shows 44.1 regardless of what sample rate is actually being used.
Playing certain audio files causes it to spontaneously shut off / mute analog output.

860lacov

I need to move my audio gear quite often, so stack isn't very convenient. (It is small, but still...)
I wonder how EX5 would work with audeze LCD2C.

Could you tell me how does it compare?
I like the a50s +d50s sound, and I wonder if EX5 could handle them as good as the stack do.

860lacov

It looks great but on Loxjie homepage it is in DAC (as DAC only) and there is no information about power in headphone output.
So could it be used without an additional amp?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to move my audio gear quite often, so stack isn't very convenient. (It is small, but still...)
I wonder how EX5 would work with audeze LCD2C.

Could you tell me how does it compare?
I like the a50s +d50s sound, and I wonder if EX5 could handle them as good as the stack do.

I can't detect any audible difference between my EX5 and D50s/A50s stack. The EX5 looks a lot neater on my desk, there's less cabling, the volume control is larger and easier to use and the balanced output from the EX5 removed a ground loops issue I had with my iLoud MTM monitors.

Reactions: t$$

Ziroz

A linear power supply, like the P50, won't prevent ground loops. A ground loop can form when single ended/unbalanced connections are used because 'signal ground' can get mixed with 'safety/power ground'. You have to consider the whole chain of connected devices. In my case the path was something like... PC to DAC via USB power ground, between DAC and HP Amp via RCA ground, between HP Amp and monitors via RCA ground and out through the monitor through the power ground (third power pin). The problem only manifested after I swapped my Tannoy Reveal 402 monitors (with 2 pin power) with the iLoud MTMs (with 3 pin power). i.e. there was no path to ground with the 402's, but I added one with the MTM's (it's not the MTM's fault, I love 'em :))
Could the ground loop be solved by pluging all the audio equipments into one power strip?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom