• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does it make sense to recommend integrated amps any more?

egellings

Major Contributor
I think integrated amplifiers are a good idea. That way they learn to get along with each other better. The transistorized amps learn to get along with the vacuum tube ones. It's better for all involved.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are integrated amps still a god idea?

At least for myself, it is still very good excellent (a god!) idea using "nice HiFi grade integrated amps" in multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier DSP-based audio system. You would please find my latest system setup here on my project thread. You can find the (provisional) summary of my intensive amplifier exploration here in my project.

The pros and merits of "HiFi integrated amplifiers" in DSP multichannel setup can be found here, here, and here.
"Flexible and safe relative gain controls over all the SP drivers on-the-fly (while listening to music)" is the key feature of utilization of integrated amps, at least in my setup.

(This post would be of your reference for selection of "reasonable/affordable" small amplifier(s) driving tweeters and super-tweeters.)

Of course I know well that I can (could) do the same with four sets of HiFi "pre amp+power amp", but it would need much more budget, much more physical space, and much more complex cabling; the backside cabling in my latest setup with four integrated amps is already fairly complex enough, though.;)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Are integrated amps still a god idea?
The both offer plus's and minus's, a very personal decision IMO.
I've always had separates since about 1980, but that's just me.
I prefer the option to update-upgrade them separately at my whim,
but that's just me.
Looks like integrated are all the rage in the high-end right now?.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like integrated are all the rage in the high-end right now?

At least in Japan, "HiFi rather high-end integrated amplifiers" still have their positions and markets to be well survived and reasonably profitable (I assume) , such as ACCUPHASE, LUXMAN, MARANTZ, YAMAHA, etc., etc.

The nice warranties and availability of long-term (more than 20 years!) services are/were also very important factors for my selection of Japan-domestic products/amplifiers in my project; the two typical example cases can be found here, here (Accuphase) and here (Fostex).

From aesthetic perspectives (much dependent on personal preferences, though), this thread entitled "Most aesthetically pleasing amplifiers", ant this thread entitled "Poll: Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amp", would be of your interest, I assume.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The nice warranties and availability of long-term (more than 20 years!) services are/were also very important factors for my selection of Japan-domestic products/amplifiers in my project; the two typical example cases can be found here, here (Accuphase) and here (Fostex).
I applaud them for their long term warranties but it's all wrapped up in the price.
All manufacturers have a damn good idea what a products repair might cost them on a per year basis as it ages.
They can easily break that down and decide where they want a product to fit in against it competition.
The after-market warranty companies do the same.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I applaud them for their long term warranties but it's all wrapped up in the price.

Yes, I fully agree with you, especially in case of that with ACCUPHASE!

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

At least for myself, it is still very good excellent (a god!) idea using "nice HiFi grade integrated amps" in multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier DSP-based audio system. You would please find my latest system setup here on my project thread. You can find the (provisional) summary of my intensive amplifier exploration here in my project.

The pros and merits of "HiFi integrated amplifiers" in DSP multichannel setup can be found here, here, and here.
"Flexible and safe relative gain controls over all the SP drivers on-the-fly (while listening to music)" is the key feature of utilization of integrated amps, at least in my setup.

(This post would be of your reference for selection of "reasonable/affordable" small amplifier(s) driving tweeters and super-tweeters.)

Of course I know well that I can (could) do the same with four sets of HiFi "pre amp+power amp", but it would need much more budget, much more physical space, and much more complex cabling; the backside cabling in my latest setup with four integrated amps is already fairly complex enough, though.;)
Wow, you have an amazing setup.
In a case like this one, certainly, integrated amps make better sense than separates.

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

The both offer plus's and minus's, a very personal decision IMO.
I've always had separates since about 1980, but that's just me.
I prefer the option to update-upgrade them separately at my whim,
but that's just me.
Looks like integrated are all the rage in the high-end right now?.
Agree, I like to update-upgrade.
In a case such as @dualazmak , the convenience of amp + volume in a single box is great, and more important than update/upgrade.

But say you're advising a friend, or you're setting up a new system.

If you're going for "buy one box, and you're done", I think an AVR offers more flexibility and more features than an integrated.
This is semi-controversial at ASR because of the lower SINAD of the typical AVR, but, I'll risk the statement that for most, an AVR is just fine.

If you're absolutely against AVRs and know for a fact you only want stereo, then,
if you want to get an integrated, you need to do your homework to make sure you're getting a box with a processor loop, as has been advised earlier in this thread.
Just seems it's easier to box yourself into a corner vs separates.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My recent discussion here and thereafter would be also of your interest, I assume.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just seems it's easier to box yourself into a corner vs separates.
True but there's just no single right path, it's a very individual decision.
On one side we have @dualazmak who's signal path makes me dizzy just try to decipher.
On the other we have things like the new KEF wireless stuff where everything is inside the box.
Whatever perks your noodle. ;)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On one side we have @dualazmak who's signal path makes me dizzy just try to decipher.

Well,,, once you would fully understand the signal path, my system is really straightforward and simple, I believe!:D

My safe "ignition sequences and shutdown sequences" looks complicated at your first glance, but once getting used to it, it is really simple and easy (at least for me)!;)
I usually complete the shutdown sequences in less than one minute, and I complete the startup (ignition) sequences in less than two minutes...

In any way, let's enjoy beloved music using our audio systems...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In any way, let's enjoy beloved music using our audio systems...
For sure. I wasn't in any way bashing your rig.
Your mapping just looks scary. LOL

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For sure. I wasn't in any way bashing your rig.
Your mapping just looks scary. LOL

Of course, I always understand your sense of humor very well, and very much enjoy our info exchange! thank you again!!

Top Bottom