• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does headroom improve headphone sound quality? (Amp/DAC for Aeon/Ether CX)

MattSplat

In the speaker world, people often overbuy on amp power, in search of stronger bass dynamics (or other mystical qualities of that "I've got massive headroom" sound). Is this a thing for headphones? Most discussions here (and from Amir himself) suggest it's not, that all you need for the best experience is enough power to drive the intended volume level.

-----

For those interested in the context, I'll be picking up one of the following, as soon as I can decide:
  • Aeon Closed RT/X
  • Aeon Noire (but if Amir himself daily drives the RT, do I need it?)
  • Ether CX (holy $&# that distortion result, but Drop currently has a 2mo wait)
Current stack is a JDS Atom/ODAC, which is adequate for most anything, but looking to add another stack at another location.

I picked up a Topping D30 (non-Pro) DAC years ago and didn't end up using it as intended, debating now whether to use or sell it. Part of me wants something closer to endgame this time: an amp with truly future-proof power output - and a DAC that actually matches ;)

Looking at:
- Topping L30
- Topping A30Pro
- SMSL SP200

The L30 is probably the sane choice, it should handle both my IEMs (Future Sonics CIEMs, UE TF10) and the few other cans I might actually use (Senn Game One mostly) really well - plus I could live with it on top of the D30. SP200 is on sale at Drop currently, less ideal for IEMs and would be an odd-looking pair with the D30, but more headroom. And really, the A30Pro is overkill, but it seems like that would be truly endgame for me.

FWIW I also considered a Schiit Magnius (even adding a Modius) for its power levels, but a lot of limitations there, would probably spend up for the A30Pro instead.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I would say yes, power is going to be one of the most important differentiators for power hungry headphones. You do want current delivery and headroom. Sensitive headphones, it won't really matter. I would take 5W with 100 SINAD over 500mW with 125 SINAD if I wanted to be able to run my whole collection or the DCA headphones you mention.

abhishek

20220511_000013.jpg

Yes, amplifiers headroom affects fidelity of HP , today I was playing above track with peace equalizer set to 0 db gain and prevent clipping was enabled. Suddenly a -6db preamp was applied by peace equalizer, then i zoomed the peak waveform which showes the clipping of audio.
So I applied -6db to full audio and compared the both waveform and now it sounded perfect, since my a30 pro has enough headroom to drive my arya v2 to cover that -6db preamp.

From my experience amplifier are not so efficient at manufacturer's specfied peak power draw, it's alway best to choose amplifier with double the power required for headphone being connected.

Coming to DAC headroom, it's always best not to upsample above 48khz and 24 bit, since human ears can't hear above 20khz, also headphone no need to reproduce those above 20khz will benefit the driver in reproducing below 20khz signals without distortion.
I also prefer to attenuate below 15hz (which is not audible or felt)in equalizer to further enhance the headphones bass responses.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
In my experience, having more headroom does not change the sound quality whatsoever.

Of course it's important that your Amp has enough gain and output power to drive your headphones to satisfying levels, without the Amp clipping, but if your current one can do that already, then buying a twice as powerful Amp and running it at 50% won't do anything for you.
At least it didn't do anything for me (volume-matched with a DMM and A/Bed with an MC103)

Last edited:
Top Bottom