• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does HD650 have better driver matching than 600?

Graph Feppar

I was just wondering,on the official Sennheiser website,Sennheiser brags about HD650 driver matching,"Systems with narrow tolerances (± 1 dB), hand-picked in pairs".Also HD660S has in description "The transducers are carefully selected and paired by hand to ensure consistently narrow (±1 dB) tolerances."

Does HD600 not have +-1db driver matching? Strangely,the more expensive HD700 also doesnt have in description anything about hand picked +-1db drivers.I want to buy either 600 or 650,I am leaning towards the 600 becose its little cheaper,280€ vs 320€ and it have flatter FR for music production,the HD650 does sound really nice,but I think its not as good for studio work.

So I would get 600 but I just love high quality and driver matching is very important,should I go for 650 to get better driver matching or is this just marketing BS and 600 are matched just as good? Is 650 just different flavor or does it have tighter quality?
I know Sennheiser have best driver matching in the game and I never heard any inbalance in 3 600s I tried so far but this is something I was wondering for while,it triggers my inner ocd perfectionist.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD600 I measured below:
hd600.png

HD650 I measured below:
fr-hd650.png

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually I always want to know, if a pair of headphones has driver mismatched, how does it affect the sound when we hear it?

Shifting center? Uneven loudness? Or other things?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When the differences are small +/- 1dB I don't hear it.
When the amplitude differs the stereo image leans to the louder side.
In the rare cases where there is a mismatch (have encountered a few) in certain parts of the frequency range instruments may be less 'stable' in the stereo image and sound a bit 'weird'.
When it differs between L and R in certain parts of the FR only a few dB I may not hear it though. Depends on the frequency range it is in.
In the lows the bass may shift from the center to one side giving a weird stereo image.
This could also happen with perfectly matched drivers but loss of seal on one side.
In the treble one could get differences of a few dB here and there when both cups are not positioned the same.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the rare cases where there is a mismatch (have encountered a few) in certain parts of the frequency range instruments may be less 'stable' in the stereo image and sound a bit 'weird'.
When it differs between L and R in certain parts of the FR only a few dB I may not hear it though. Depends on the frequency range it is in.
In the lows the bass may shift from the center to one side giving a weird stereo image.
This could also happen with perfectly matched drivers but loss of seal on one side.
In the treble one could get differences of a few dB here and there when both cups are not positioned the same.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. It is very helpful. :)

I used to have a Massdrop Hifiman HE4xx, which had a loose cable problem, so Massdrop sent a replacement to me. Therefore, I had a chance to compare two HE4xx at the same time. I found that the first HE4xx clearly sounded different from the second HE4xx. I don't know how to describe it - just kind of weird, apparently brighter, and it was more fatiguing too. I always wonder if it is a symptom of mismatched drivers.

Interestingly, when I looked at @solderdude's website, I noticed Focal Clear also has less-than-ideal channel matching. As my wife also has a pair of Clear, so I compared the two. Luckily they sound the same. :D

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Asymmetrical pinnae are another issue for some (including yours truly unfortunately).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This was one of the first clears in Europe and not a 'for sale' version.
I expect the sold ones to have much better driver matching.
The difference between L and R matching of it was not audible to me.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

If memory serves, one of the key features the HD600 would boast over the HD580 was 1 dB driver matching (rather than the previous 3 dB). So they've been doing this for a long, long time now.

So the 600 too have +-1db driver matching,they just dont mention it?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In the lows driver matching is 2dB off.
I think Sennheiser at least makes an effort.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
So the 600 too have +-1db driver matching,they just dont mention it?
Pretty much.
In the lows driver matching is 2dB off.
I think Sennheiser at least makes an effort.
That rather looks earpad / seal related to me, not necessarily something to do with the drivers themselves.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Alas no HD6XX but measurements. I have seen others comparing them and usually shows it basically is the HD650.
Maybe the colour change and maybe less strict driver matching could explain the price difference (as well as a guaranteed amount ordered)
On the other hand, driver matching is already done at Sennheiser in the current line-up and don't think it costs that much.
I mean, this probably isn't done by hand but most likely fully automated.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That rather looks earpad / seal related to me, not necessarily something to do with the drivers themselves.

Nope, swapped pads as well, no difference. It's really the drivers.
I usually measure several times and when I see differences always investigate when I have them for a longer period.
Also this is measured on a flat plate coupler without a Pinna so no chance of leaks during tests.
On top of that L and R are measured on the same microphone (even though it has 2 mics but they differ slightly)

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

Thats very good thing to know,I decided I will first buy microphone and make portable flat coupler that I will take into the shop and test the particular HD600 before I buy it. I wonder how is the shop salesman going to react when I pull out my coupler lol.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Go for the E.A.R.S. instead.
Building a rig that is accurate is not as easy as sticking an omnidirectional mic through a piece of board... There's a little bit more involved.

But when auditioning headphones I recommend to just use your ears and familiar music.
A set of measurements is merely a tool to check for some basic aspects....

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

I strongly prefer flat coupler measurements and the E.A.R.S. ears are non-detachable I belive.It does look sweet for the price,I dont know about anything else like it in that low price range.

Maki

Actually I always want to know, if a pair of headphones has driver mismatched, how does it affect the sound when we hear it?

Shifting center? Uneven loudness? Or other things?
Shifted center image, like the sound comes from behind one eye instead of your nose. Vocals that shift slightly to each side with different activated frequencies. Vocals being towards the left but "sh" or "sss" sibilant sounds being on the right and vice versa. I'd advise you to not try and listen to these things. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are those headphones (600 or 650) still a good purchase today?

I like my heaphones super flat.

Top Bottom