• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Focal Elex have QC problems?

Fregly

I keep running into reports of failed drivers, bad cables and distortion at 90db in bassy recordings.

Gnasherrr

i have had 2 cables that broke on me. as for the drivers, they have been fine for me (went thru 2 diffrerent copies)

OP
F

Fregly

i have had 2 cables that broke on me. as for the drivers, they have been fine for me (went thru 2 diffrerent copies)
No distortion at all? Do you listen at high volume?

Gnasherrr

No distortion at all? Do you listen at high volume?
negative. i listen at around 75 db spl. no distortion afaik although i havent used mine for a while ever since i got my speakers

adolf.herman

more likely the nature of design, in all focal headphone, commonly for 85 ohm series (elex, elear, utopia) that have very thin cable compared to other focal series (clear & elegia).. voice coil cable are floated and shaked, will be broken in certain times. so the $3000 stellia using 35 ohm. more rigid. herewith a broken point, broken at the same spot in all focal series headphones. this is utopia driver

Attachments

• 20191205_225505.jpg
    20191205_225505.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 2,469

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing to complain for my unit. I'm the kind of guy to listen very loud and heard no distortion whatsoever.

My unit is recent but I saw no QC issue.

I don't use the supplied cables, because both suck: Heavy, not flexible at all etc.
The official Meze 99 Classic 3M Cable is much better: thinner, lighter, doesn't tangle etc.

Last edited:

samshaver

I joined the Drop 12/23/17 while they were still listed at $799, and got them in April 2018.

I would agree, the stock cables are heavy and have poor flexibility. Therefore, I can not speak to QC issues there, as I have not really used them much.

I have not had any issues with channel imbalance or intermittent connectivity with my unit. But, there is some clipping that occurs at ~95-100db per this meter, which is well beyond any conceivable comfortable listening level. So, I would say practically there are no issues with my early unit.

OP
F

Fregly

Bizarre. Garbage cables come with what by any measure is a luxury item. Sigh.

harshalbid271

more likely the nature of design, in all focal headphone, commonly for 85 ohm series (elex, elear, utopia) that have very thin cable compared to other focal series (clear & elegia).. voice coil cable are floated and shaked, will be broken in certain times. so the $3000 stellia using 35 ohm. more rigid. herewith a broken point, broken at the same spot in all focal series headphones. this is utopia driver

My left driver has suddenly stopped making any sound. I did some poking around with a multimeter, and it looks like the connection from +ve to -ve terminal through the voice coil is broken. I noticed that the voice coil connection seems very delicate and might be the reason for failure, but I haven't been able to establish whether its the voice coils connection with the terminals that is broken, or the voice coil itself is damaged now. Considering that the wire itself is insulated, I'm having a hard time exactly pin pointing the point of failure and potentially fixing it.

Oh and I made the stupid decision to import a pair of Focal headphones, so warranty claims is going to be a nightmare.

Adolf, do you think the problem might be in the connection to the terminals as shown in your picture? Do you think it would be worth a shot to re-solder the connection by myself?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh and I made the stupid decision to import a pair of Focal headphones, so warranty claims is going to be a nightmare.
Are you living in EU? If you didn't buy the Elex straight from Massdrop, yes I'm afraid using warranty won't be that easy...

Still don't get what (the fuck) Focal did there... If I wanted to sent back my Elex for repair, I would have to send it back to US for the unit being repaired here in France. You may also try asking directly to Focal customer service if direct repair is possible (won't come free).

As far as I'm concerned, I sold mine. Very good sound, but confort was an issue due to the weight.

Hope my buyer won't call me back anytime soon... :eek:

Loonabae

Isn't that the company that tried to twists the driver issues into quirk. Pretty sad it disorts at 90db when its bass THD is the lowest for a 40 mm DD.

Music1969

Major Contributor
No issues with my Elex. I bought a Clear cable (combo 3.5mm/6.3mm screw in plug) to use with it.

I only use mine at a desk and it never gets bumped, so i hope i don't get any voice coil cable issue.

Brilliant sounding headphones.

Basically they are the Elear with -3dB bass (I read), due to the Clear perforated earpads that Elex come with.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What did you get instead?
Nothing for now. Honestly, I'm tired about headphones for home listening . Owned probably almost 30 pairs for the last 5 years. There is always either the sound or the confort which doesn't fit...

I keep my mainstream BT headphones on the go.

I'm happy with my stereo system at home.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is why the attractiveness of Drop is largely determined by where you live. If you are in the EU you have to add VAT, customs handling and international shipping which means Drop prices are not as cheap, and often you can buy locally for not much more or less (especially given the prevalence of clearance offers etc). Focal headphones aren't as heavily discounted as Sennheiser but you do see offers. And if you do need warranty service or get into a dispute with the seller life is much simpler. These are not a throwaway item and any product from any manufacture may develop a fault needing warranty service. Clearly things are different for US buyers but in Europe I would look for offers on general release Focal headphones. Focal seems to want to keep the Drop Elex out of Europe, probably see it as more advantageous to support their regular sales channels.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
no issues with mine and i don't mind the braided cables. that said, they were a christmas gift so i have only had a week with them.

if the clear cable is clearly superior i will pick one up though so thanks for the tip!

anyone have a link to the clear cable?

adolf.herman

My left driver has suddenly stopped making any sound. I did some poking around with a multimeter, and it looks like the connection from +ve to -ve terminal through the voice coil is broken. I noticed that the voice coil connection seems very delicate and might be the reason for failure, but I haven't been able to establish whether its the voice coils connection with the terminals that is broken, or the voice coil itself is damaged now. Considering that the wire itself is insulated, I'm having a hard time exactly pin pointing the point of failure and potentially fixing it.

Adolf, do you think the problem might be in the connection to the terminals as shown in your picture? Do you think it would be worth a shot to re-solder the connection by myself?

Yess its worth it. But remember use gasket/rtv silicon for covering after resolder. And you can also use cable varnish to insulating the wire. So it will more rigid.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is the main reason why I haven't jumped on the Focal wagon.
Less reported issues with the Clear so don't feel to bad when recommending it.

Top Bottom