• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Ethan's Null Tester Prove His Claim?

Is Ethan correct?

• Yes

• No

• I mean his circuit. No his claim on cables.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Get a hearing test

I don't get it, I just looked at a Head-Fi thread from 2008 and virtually everyone "prefered" the HD650 cable. Thinking Sennheiser engineered a cable for anything but mechanical/connector issues is a long stretch.
Cant be a bad cable as it wouldnt even work. Cables are simple like that. Saying it doesnt have any difference is also false, otherwise people wouldnt buy custom cables. Its mostly neuroticism of "audiophiles" anyway but ive been listening to this for years and sound signature is worse i dont like it.

Tks

Major Contributor
What i heard went in line with what other people posted online a decade ago so. I can also do a blind test but its pointless. Listening same sound snipped 20 times its clear the hd650 cable sounds like its butchered. Youre testing electrical stuff, it should be pretty much identical and yet its not. It would be better to test sound.

See, this is evidence right here of either lunacy, or purely trolling. Reason being: EVEN IF it truly was pointless. You come here, on a forum, that lays it's bedrock foundations of proof, in peoples ability to demonstrate all claims eventually with their powers of perception at the end of the day. Our measurements of how loud something generally is at a certain dB for example could only have been information confirmed if we were people who had the ability of hearing. There would be far less credence to anything scientific established on sound if we were a species with no ears.

So with that said. You KNOW for a fact where you are. Ever seen undercover cops that try and infiltrate a gang organization, and then if someone gets suspicious they tell him to come out one night and party with them? Only the plan is, to test the person to see if he is a cop - and then they force him on the spot to take hits of cocaine and all sorts of other stuff? Or they get him to execute a rival gang member to send a message to the other gang? As a cop he's not allowed to do that, but if he doesn't his cover is blown, and he's perhaps in some serious trouble.

The questions I have then for you. The fuck are you even doing here if you're not even going to humor us more than you already have with literal humor - by not taking the blind test which you see as pointless, of which we find paramount? If it's such a pointless ordeal, it shouldn't be too tough to put on paper, the miraculous hearing you claim you have, so we can find more interesting things to maul over, aside from this nonsensical trolling path you've gone down.. Prove me wrong when I say you're trolling. And while you're at it, maybe give Randy a call, I'm sure he'll offer some amount of money for a modified version of this challenge he presented that's been long-standing for over a decade.

But no, of course not. Got much better things to be doing your holy gracious eminence?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Reactions: Tks

Get a hearing test

I'll do the blind tests when it gets here for myself and i wont post the results lol. Unless i am wrong in which case ill have to post.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't get it, I just looked at a Head-Fi thread from 2008 and virtually everyone "prefered" the HD650 cable. Thinking Sennheiser engineered a cable for anything but mechanical/connector issues is a long stretch. As usual an exhaustive search on these matters shows no consistent results. BTW my HD600 cable being thin failed from simple fatigue at the termination.

But if you look further back in 03/04 lots of people were bashing HD650 stock cable, many advises to buy a sliver replacement cable.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's because the earlier HD650 had relatively less treble and more 'warmth' and people believe silver cable somehow acts as an equalizer and miraculously increased clarity and treble. Of course factual nothing changed but those buying cables that often costs even more than the whole headphone surely want to hear improvements and are convinced they do.
All nonsense of course.

Top Bottom