• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does DAC performance = great sound?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny how many people don't consider the source as the most important.

"many people don't consider the source as the most important" because they have very limited control over it

That was something else I wanted to comment on. The music is the most important part. If I just wanted to listen to theoretically perfect sources I could generate some sine waves in Audacity and be done with it.

Also, one needs to draw the OCD line somewhere. Improving your electronics and transducers makes everything sound better.

Even if your preferred genre is classical and you actually have a wide variety recordings, performances, and mixes/masters of each piece to choose from you need to invest a considerable amount of time to improve the quality of that single piece. You need to be pretty hard core for that cost benefit to work out.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
I really think a more detailed pair of headphones vs a cheap 5$ pair at the dollar store could sound worse with poor sources

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really think a more detailed pair of headphones vs a cheap 5$ pair at the dollar store could sound worse with poor sources

I added a Hi-Res sticker to a dollar FM radio paired with a detailed IEM and that actually made the sound much better :po_O

erqhvw18q8h31.jpg

PolkFan

Forum Donor
See if that was RGB you would have 300% more FPS in all your games!

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See if that was RGB you would have 300% more FPS in all your games!

Unfortunately, I'm not a gamer lol. My 3 year old Surface Pro specs barely reaches 5% of your gaming rig lol. It's completely fanless however which is ideal for my near field speaker listening. You do need some GPU upgrade (and more Nvidia + AMD stickers) soon though when the 3080Ti shows up on the market

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, I'm not a gamer lol. My 3 year old Surface Pro specs barely reaches 5% of your gaming rig lol. It's completely fanless however which is ideal for my near field speaker listening. You do need some GPU upgrade (and more Nvidia + AMD stickers) soon though when the 3080Ti shows up on the market
The 3080Ti will be thousands of dollars and was announced today to be released in late August or September.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
The 3080Ti will be thousands of dollars and was announced today to be released in late August or September.

Time to sell some of my cables again

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Time to sell some of my cables again
I run a Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 like you and it has plentyyy of FPS for 144Hz gaming but I will upgrade to a 1080Ti when the urge strikes me. My 144Hz monitor only has a DVI connector(Other than HDMI) so other than a RTX2060 Super w/DVI connector none of the new RTX cards are compatible. Just finishing Sniper Elite 4 here in the next day or two. Catching up on games I had not played while this corona virus stuff is keeping me home.

Incursio

JDSLabs Element II looks cool with that usable giant volume dial - not ashamed to admit that I’m willing to go “down” in specs just for the look and feel of it.

Yeah, I really like the design of the Element II, as well. Particularly with a custom engraving, it's just nice to look at on my desk - simple and elegant.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 56447

Still running with my i7/dual GTX 780s in SLI that I built....6 years ago now (wow!). If I were to build one today, I'd go with a Ryzen 9 and a 5700XT.
Yeah the 5700XT is a great card for it's price bracket. I was going to buy one but could not find one compatible with my monitor's DVI input.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
View attachment 56447

Still running with my i7/dual GTX 780s in SLI that I built....6 years ago now (wow!). If I were to build one today, I'd go with a Ryzen 9 and a 5700XT.

Most of the driver issues with the 5700XT are pretty much over with by now probably a safe bet.

Ryzen however is absolutely amazing, issue with Crossfire and SLI is it's sadly less supported today then it was 10 years ago.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
I run a Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 like you and it has plentyyy of FPS for 144Hz gaming but I will upgrade to a 1080Ti when the urge strikes me. My 144Hz monitor only has a DVI connector(Other than HDMI) so other than a RTX2060 Super w/DVI connector none of the new RTX cards are compatible. Just finishing Sniper Elite 4 here in the next day or two. Catching up on games I had not played while this corona virus stuff is keeping me home.

You can get a cable for that actually for pretty darn cheap i think monoprice has some good ones!

Also yeah driver issues is the main reason whats sad is technically directx 12 was supposed to easily support multiple video cards even from Amd and Nvidia and even Intel in the same system! Nope that never happen :(

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...md-nvidia-gpus-to-work-together/#49597caf6e22

PolkFan

Forum Donor
As a side note any of you guys listen to music on youtube lately and click on "new comments" basically every one has a comment about this horrible virus sucks man. Main reason why i decided to start my research paper like 2 terms early lol.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
video cards even from Amd and Nvidia and even Intel
When Intel releases gaming video cards things will hopefully get interesting. The market is topping out on prices even after the reductions after the shortages due to mining. Unless one is gaming at 1080p 144Hz the expense for the cards is simply too high right now. I'm not upping my resolution from 1080p anytime soon. I like the higher frame rate too much to go down in FPS and up in resolution.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As a side note any of you guys listen to music on youtube lately and click on "new comments" basically every one has a comment about this horrible virus sucks man. Main reason why i decided to start my research paper like 2 terms early lol.
I listen to YouTube everyday but I did not notice commentary about corona. It is what it is a insidious virus and we gotta beat this.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
When Intel releases gaming video cards things will hopefully get interesting. The market is topping out on prices even after the reductions after the shortages due to mining. Unless one is gaming at 1080p 144Hz the expense for the cards is simply too high right now. I'm not upping my resolution from 1080p anytime soon. I like the higher frame rate too much to go down in FPS and up in resolution.

Today i was going to buy red dead redemption 2 and i saw a video of it playing at like 40 FPS on my card at medium settings at 1440P i was a bit sad to say the least haha.

I at least attempt to game at 80 or so FPS at 1440P, maybe i need to get some more RGB or something i don't know :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Today i was going to buy red dead redemption 2 and i saw a video of it playing at like 40 FPS on my card at medium settings at 1440P i was a bit sad to say the least haha.

I at least attempt to game at 80 or so FPS at 1440P, maybe i need to get some more RGB or something i don't know :)
I'm still adjusting to running along behind my character in Sniper Elite 4 as compared to looking down the barrel in the first person. Red Dead redemption is fully 3rd person and for that reason I took it off my Steam Wishlist but I should put it back on again. I know it's good from the reviews. I've been watching GTX1080Ti prices and they can be found used for decent prices now. There are some boneheads expecting big bucks for them but some people are reasonable in their price. Perhaps you should sell off your GTX1080 and upgrade to a GTX1080Ti. It's a significant upgrade and should be a economical upgrade too if bucks are a consideration. I know that's my goal before I upgrade my 1080p 144Hz Acer monitor so I have the newer video connection for 1440p and higher. That's 2 years down the road I figure.

PolkFan

Forum Donor
I always buy Acer monitors man i would switch to a GT1030 before i give up my monitor lol i got the first IPS 1440P 144hz Gsync monitor not switching to it breaks.

Top Bottom