• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does balanced adapters works?

Viper Necklampy

I see this 3.5mm to XLR balanced : https://www.amazon.com/balanced-Female-Balanced-Hi-end-adapter/dp/B07C992Q1L, does it make a real balanced? How much improvement for balanced dac's like SMSL SU-8? I was wondering because I only see a balanced cable for EL-8 At an astonishing 310$ price: https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-cable-for-audeze-el-8-headphones-v3-by-moon-audio.html and i would to know how much do you suggest me a balanced adapter like that, or if it's better the Simpler 3.5mm. Thanks :)

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those adaptors are just that, adaptors that allow the physical connection of one to the other. They do NOT create a balanced connection.

S.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
How much improvement for balanced dac's like SMSL SU-8?:)

I assume you are talking about the front connector on an SMSL SH-8 (not 'U')? The balanced connectors on the back of SMSL SU-8 and SMSL SH-8 are for line level signals. They are not meant for driving headphones.

Last edited:

Bamboszek

This is different thing. Balanced connection to headphones is pretty new and isn't really standardised. Adapter from XLR-4 to 3.5mm TRRS jack linked in first post allow to connect balanced headphones with TRRS jack (4 pole balanced, don't confuse it with TRRS commonly used for headphones with microphone) to XLR-4 output in yours headphone amplifier.

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

I assume you are talking about front connector on an SMSL SH-8 (not 'U')? The balanced connectors on the back of SMSL SU-8 and SMSL SH-8 are for line level signals. They are not meant for driving headphones.
No, SU-8 dac, it have a balanced output for amplifiers i guess.. Oh, right, so i need balanced amplifier to benefit the overall balanced sound xD

Attachments

• SU-8.jpg
    SU-8.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 156

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
In other words, if the cable on your Audeze EL-8 is already wired to a 3.5mm TRRS jack with the same pinout as the adaptor, then yes. It might work.

But if the cable has the much, much more common 3.5mm TRS jack in a single ended configuration, then no.

Oh, right, so i need balanced amplifier to benefit the overall balanced sound xD

Yes, notice how the XLR connector on the adaptor has four pins (and has the wrong gender), while the connectors on the back of the DAC and amp only has three. They handle two completely different things (well... not completely, but you get the picture).

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:D Then 100% or 50% useless?
Neither (or both!)

If you need to connect a balanced output to an unbalanced input or vice-versa, then an adaptor will do, so 100% successful. If you want to create a balanced output from an unbalanced output, or a balanced input from an unbalanced input, then you need either a transformer or an active stage, so an adapter will be 0% successful.
It depends what you want to do.

Considering that balanced headphone driving is a total and utter con trick on the untechnical, as it has zero technical merit, I really wouldn't bother either way.

For the reasons why balanced headphone driving is a con, just think about why is would be a benefit. Then think about how much crosstalk is actually introduced by the common ground impedance, and think about how much crosstalk is actually mechanical, going across the headband.

S.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you even have a headphone that terminates in 3.5mm TRRS with R+, R-, L+ and L-? (Not the commonly found R, L, Ground and Mic present in phone earphones.)

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Do you even have a headphone that terminates in 3.5mm TRRS with R+, R-, L+ and L-? (Not the commonly found R, L, Ground and Mic present in phone earphones.)
New into these things but.. Looks like no! So i guess even balanced adaptors aren't supported in this cable, right?

Attachments

• El8 3.5.jpg
    El8 3.5.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 147
OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Correct. It only has two sinal wires + Ground. But like sergeaukland says, dont worry about it. Get an amp with single ended output and be happy :)
Yeah I buy D50 and Jds Atom days ago, still waiting, i'm upset.. Actually i ordered El8 closed on amazon days ago, they send me the Sine X.x Now i have money For El8, i hope to have it soon, no money for send all the return of amazon lol So, no El8 closed but I have: Mdr-Z7, Audeze Sine and Audeze Mobius with Pha-3 Amp :) I'll try to enjoy all these kids and learn from them ahah One day i could pass to full balanced if it's worth it in terms of separation of channels, soundstage, power etc..

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I buy D50 and Jds Atom days ago, still waiting, i'm upset.. Actually i ordered El8 closed on amazon days ago, they send me the Sine X.x Now i have money For El8, i hope to have it soon, no money for send all the return of amazon lol So, no El8 closed but I have: Mdr-Z7, Audeze Sine and Audeze Mobius with Pha-3 Amp :) I'll try to enjoy all these kids and learn from them ahah One day i could pass to full balanced if it's worth it in terms of separation of channels, soundstage, power etc..

It won't be!

S.

Top Bottom