• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Bal really sound different?

Puzzle

I know bal output provides larger power so you can get higher sound level, and some amps perform differently at their SE and BAL outputs. But I noticed that sometimes I can hear the difference between bal and se, but.sometimes I don't. When using my same fiio k7, for my n5005, he6se v2, mdr z7, I can hear differences between SE and BAL outputs, al least I think the BAL outputs will have more bright mid frequency. But for my truthear zero and edition xs, I can barely tell any difference uing SE or BAL, when trying to set them around same sound level.
(HE6SE, Z7, EDITION XS using same BAL cable and their original SE cables, n5005 with orginal SE andoriginal BAL cables, truthear zero using original SE but an upgrade BAL cable)
When all tests are done on the same device and many shared one BAL cable, results really confused me. Should the BAL output sound different from SE output other than device performance itself?
Thanks for any answers.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not all XLR4 pin outputs are actually balanced, most are though. Some amps (even with balanced inputs) only have XLR-4 or Pentaconn connectors for convenience only.

Balanced often being 6dB louder can easily trick the mind so it sounds 'better'.

Low impedance headphones can actually have better stereo separation/imaging with balanced outputs.

Also in some cases the extra power provided by balanced outputs it can sound cleaner than SE outputs when the SE would be clipping.

Some SE cables are not well constructed (relatively high resistance value for the common return wire). That said... most dual entry headphones and a lot of Sennheiser headphones have 4-wire cables connecting in the headphone plug at the amp side. For these cables/headphones there is no benefit other than 6dB more headroom.

I really can't say what your observations originate from nor if they are 'real' (obviously sighted and most likely 6dB level difference).

Balanced outputs (when having substantial amounts of distortion) can have a different harmonic spectrum (more odd order).
Also balanced amplifiers have double the output resistance of the SE output. This might cause audible differences in some head-/ear-phones when that resistance is substantial.

For most amps that have balanced + SE outputs the output resistance is low and distortion is below audible limits so the only real differences could come from level or cable+low imp headphone differences.

Last edited:
OP
Puzzle

Puzzle

Not all XLR4 pin outputs are actually balanced, most are though.

Balanced often being 6dB louder can easily trick the mind so it sounds 'better'.

Low impedance headphones can actually have better stereo separation/imaging with balanced outputs.

Also in some cases the extra power provided by balanced outputs it can sound cleaner than SE outputs when the SE would be clipping.

Some SE cables are not well constructed (relatively high resistance value for the common return wire). That said... most dual entry headphones and a lot of Sennheiser headphones have 4-wire cables connecting in the headphone plug at the amp side. For these cables/headphones there is no benefit other than 6dB more headroom.

I really can't say what your observations originate from nor if they are 'real' (obviously sighted and most likely 6dB level difference)
For fiio k7, it should be real BAL, but yes, some times I would also doubt it might be the higher sound levels make me thinking BAL output sound better, but when I try to make them around same loudness, sometimes I still get different results. Just like you said, some will sound cleaner or have better separation ( but from my experience those are not necessarily to be low impedence? HE6SE and HE560V3 is around 60ohm)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It can be a real Puzzle to find out why we perceive what we perceive without accurate measurements or well performed blind level matched testing being done.... :)

OP
Puzzle

Puzzle

It can be a real Puzzle to find out why we perceive what we perceive without accurate measurements or well performed blind level matched testing being done.... :)
It should be able to explained by science, sometimes we just haven't reach that point:p

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It can be explained but needs accurate measurements of the cables and amps involved. The ears and brain is anything but an accurate measuring device :cool:

OP
Puzzle

Puzzle

It can be explained but needs accurate measurements of the cables and amps involved. The ears and brain is anything but an accurate measuring device :cool:
Time for evolution XD

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I think he means humans need to evolve.
Resistance is futile ... we will adopt the AP555x technology in our hive mind and use our senses to become advanced measurement devices .... in that kind of way..

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Human evolution hmm... OK! Yes we cold look forward to genetic evolution. The HiFi buyer around the year 900 022 perhaps not need audio analysers.

staticV3

Master Contributor
There's no inherent sound quality difference between SE and Bal headphone Amp output. Noise and hum rejection is also a moot point when it comes to Amp->headphone.
However, there may be a sound quality difference between the electronics behind those SE/Bal outputs. This will be different for each Amp.

Top Bottom