• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does audio gear need to be sustainable?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
No one is stopping you. Innovate. Raise money to implement. Do it instead of waiting for someone else to.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We could all form amateur jug bands, playing unamplified live music in our own homes. Is that sustainable and environmentally friendly enough? I don't think the noise pollution from talentless singers/whistlers/washtub bass players could be any worse than that from people playing a lot of the modern-era drivel, and at least it would be unamplified haha!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jug_band

Willem

Major Contributor
Well, I did install a large amount of solar panels, replaced almost all light bulbs with led, bought the most energy efficient washing machine and dryer, try to avoid flying when there is a good train option (there often is in north western Europe), cycle to work, eat less meat than before etc. However, as all economics textbooks will tell you, dealing with externalities also needs regulation of one kind or another. If not, too many people will opt to be free riders. Mind you, I am not a tree hugger, but a hardcore free market economic historian.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Actually, Ford had a lot of problems with the Ecoboost v6 in the Police Pursuit model. This was widely reported. They were regularly going bad at 110,000 miles. I have rented a few Escape's with the 1.6L Ecoboost. They were really slow, probably using low boost and were a pain to drive. If that's what it takes to get the motor to last, too bad.
Don't know enough about it to state year and engine type but I do know Ford had tons of issues with their turbo diesel pickup trucks. I knew a few guys going on their second and third turbos, all seeming to fail at around 75K miles. In the end they just got rid of them.
As to who's the real innovators, you'll never really know till they hit the streets. Some like to brag about what's going on in the skunk works but it could all be BS sales hype.

My complaint about them is that the published fuel figures seem to be woefully optimistic even by the standards of official fuel figures.
Problem with small turbo engines is they make pitiful power till the turbo spools up. So owners tend to lean on the gas pedal more to get acceptable performance. Drive it like your 85yo granny on the way to church and you'll get those EPA numbers :)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I did install a large amount of solar panels, replaced almost all light bulbs with led, bought the most energy efficient washing machine and dryer, try to avoid flying when there is a good train option (there often is in north western Europe), cycle to work, eat less meat than before etc. However, as all economics textbooks will tell you, dealing with externalities also needs regulation of one kind or another. If not, too many people will opt to be free riders. Mind you, I am not a tree hugger, but a hardcore free market economic historian.

More and more people are altering their lifestyle because they think it is the right thing to do which is how it should be. If they don't then I don't see why they should be compelled to, market forces will mean even people determined not to reduce their environmental foot print will do whether they want to or not because the market for products and services will be increasingly dominated by demand for low eco-impact goods and services.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ford's V6 Ecoboost in trucks don't seem to be a problem. Not aware of the police pursuit issues. Worked for local government once. Their policy was to rebuild all patrol car engines at 100,000 or rebadged the car and gave it to office staff.

The Ecoboost engines achieve full boost at very low rpm and don't suffer from lag like old turbos. Neither do the other brands of modern turbos I've driven.

I'd still prefer super charging or just a well done larger engine. Or better yet electric if it were equally affordable.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ford's V6 Ecoboost in trucks don't seem to be a problem. Not aware of the police pursuit issues. Worked for local government once. Their policy was to rebuild all patrol car engines at 100,000 or rebadged the car and gave it to office staff.

The Ecoboost engines achieve full boost at very low rpm and don't suffer from lag like old turbos. Neither do the other brands of modern turbos I've driven.

I think it's safe to say gasoline turbo engines have a reduced useful life over naturally aspirated engines of the same horsepower. There may be an exceptional motor which lasts a long time. Depends on what you mean by problems. In many cases the difference is between 140 k miles and 200 k miles. Toyota cherishes that last forever reputation, that's why they don't use turbos. Perhaps it's the difference between good enough and superlative.

I know as a fact lots of BMW M3/M4 motors failed prematurely, or at least the turbo waste gates had to be replaced.

We are getting far afield from Audio. Sorry if anyone owns an Ecoboost Ford and has been offended.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's safe to say gasoline turbo engines have a reduced useful life over naturally aspirated engines of the same horsepower. There may be an exceptional motor which lasts a long time. Depends on what you mean by problems. In many cases the difference is between 140 k miles and 200 k miles. Toyota cherishes that last forever reputation, that's why they don't use turbos. Perhaps it's the difference between good enough and superlative.

I know as a fact lots of BMW M3/M4 motors failed prematurely, or at least the turbo waste gates had to be replaced.

We are getting far afield from Audio. Sorry if anyone owns an Ecoboost Ford and has been offended.
Never owned a Ford. Never owned a turbo. Not offended.

Never liked turbos on any number of cars beginning with Covair and Porsche. Some of the modern ones have most of the problems solved. Maybe better material and manufacturing make the life expectancy a non issue. Maybe those 200 k motors are 300 k motors if not turbod and everything else is the same. So I'm not really in disagreement.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never owned a Ford. Never owned a turbo. Not offended.

Never liked turbos on any number of cars beginning with Covair and Porsche. Some of the modern ones have most of the problems solved. Maybe better material and manufacturing make the life expectancy a non issue. Maybe those 200 k motors are 300 k motors if not turbod and everything else is the same. So I'm not really in disagreement.

It's been a long time since I owned a Ford and it was a naturally aspirated V8. A real old school car. Today all (or nearly all) Porsche, BMW and Mercedes cars are turbocharged. If there is an exception, I can't think of it. It looks like they want to sell the same (or nearly the same) car everywhere, so the strict EU rules have to be met.

GM isn't interested in competing in the EU, so they still have a lot of larger displacement NA motors. The engine in my Camaro is, with minor changes to fit, the same as in a Stingray. It's 6.2L NA, wildly overpowered, has instantaneous response, and drinks premium fuel like they were giving it away. Then again, to a European $2.40 per US Gallon at Costco might seem like free.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In my world we don't talk about 200K motors or MPG. We talk 1/4 mile times, dyno numbers, and fuel octane requirements.
The rest is irrelevant.
Sniff Sniff, "is that race fuel I smell?"

Don't ya hate it when they start catching on.

Yea, back to audio

The engine in my Camaro is, with minor changes to fit, the same as in a Stingray. It's 6.2L NA, wildly overpowered, has instantaneous response, and drinks premium fuel like they were giving it away.
Now your takin!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Over here we went down the blind avenue of largely switching to diesel engine cars. Probably best not to talk about that one.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Planned obsolescence example: My Miele appliances say goodbye after 5-7 years. I wonder if that’s just bad luck or because they have 5 year guarantee. I still think professor Lindahl has got it right. He probably knows more about this than most.
The miele washing machine and dishwasher we left behind in the UK are still going fine after 10 years. Perhaps that's good luck :)

Willem

Major Contributor
Our Miele, Bosch or Siemens appliances have all lasted 15-20 years. The recently acquired new ones have such reduced energy consumption that it may have been greener to dump the old ones earlier.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In my world we don't talk about 200K motors or MPG. We talk 1/4 mile times, dyno numbers, and fuel octane requirements.
The rest is irrelevant.
Sniff Sniff, "is that race fuel I smell?"

Don't ya hate it when they start catching on.

Yea, back to audio

Now your takin!
My Corvette likes corners and longer runs than a 1/4 mile.

My father's 57 Bel Aire covertible with a dynod 677 hp at the rear wheels likes 1/4 miles. Different kinds of soundtracks though. Doesn't score well on energy sustainability.

Last edited:
OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
The miele washing machine and dishwasher we left behind in the UK are still going fine after 10 years. Perhaps that's good luck :)

We’re heavy users. Washing clothes and tumbling twice daily.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was at sea Miele and Maytag were the only two washing machine manufacturers whose wares could stand up to the duty of running pretty much continuously, seven days a week.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Corvette likes corners and longer runs than a 1/4 mile.

My father's 57 Bel Aire covertible with a dynod 677 hp at the rear wheels likes 1/4 miles. Different kinds of soundtracks though. Doesn't score well on energy sustainability.
:):):)

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
When I was at sea Miele and Maytag were the only two washing machine manufacturers whose wares could stand up to the duty of running pretty much continuously, seven days a week.

At first you notice smaller problems. Like a fuse, or temperature device. Then comes the Miele guy in his red van. He never gives me the impression I am the exception. If you’re lucky, you’re still within guarantee period. Then comes more heavy stuff needing repair, change of parts - and last comes the choice to make a repair that costs almost as much as a new machine. 15 years of experience.

Having no technical insight into appliance machines, I try and buy the heaviest machine at the lowest cost. I think the last washing machine was about €2200. I cross my fingers...

Top Bottom