• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does anybody have Hiby R3?

Graph Feppar

If yes,let me know,I need to know its frequency response before I but it.You can measure it with the RMAA software and decent sound card if you dont have L33T measurement gear like AP or dScope.I would be super mega grateful if you provided FR graph.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Had one for about a week after Kickstarter delivery. Sold it off immediately.
Terrible interface, wifi was flaky, dlna was non-functional. Sound was a solid "meh".
Seriously, find a decent phone instead.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

I am deciding between it and iBasso DX120,the iBasso doesnt have wifi or bluetooth,cost more,is much bigger and heavier.

Thanks for warning but I still hope maybe Hiby fixed the problems with firmware update.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Thanks for warning but I still hope maybe Hiby fixed the problems with firmware update.

I bought one because I was curious about the tech - it sounded good on paper.
The execution was poorly done, though.

Not directing this rhetorical statement at you, but I don't understand the allure of these types of devices.
For the cost of a smartphone, one gets infinitely more functionality, plus audio capabilities similar to the R3.
I realize that phones with headphone jacks are on the decline, but they're not rare by any measure.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

The better of the DAPs are far superior to smartphones and measure similiar to desktop dacs and amps.For example the iBasso have 0.3 ohm output impedance and THD+N exceeds 110db,thats much better than all smartphones maybe except LG V series.

dc655321

Major Contributor
For example the iBasso have 0.3 ohm output impedance and THD+N exceeds 110db,thats much better than all smartphones maybe except LG V series.

Can you provide a link to actual measurements of the dx120? A quick search turned up nothing for me.
It's easy to provide a spec sheet for marketing, but quite another thing to have them verified/refuted with measurements.

BTW -- I see that iBasso provide a "burn-in" cable with their product. Interesting... :facepalm:

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

I know I know... all these DAPs are soaked in all kinds of audiophool snakeoil BS,from the burn in cable,MQA support,DSD support,Hi Res support,covered hi res sticker cancer and the retarded digital filter settings when you can change your perfectly transparent linear phase brickwall to all kinds of other inferior filters like slow roll off which will attenuate high frequencies,minimum phase which destroys the linear phase response and short delay which is just small number of taps filter which causes bandpass ripple.

Fiio does it,Hiby does it,iBasso does it,all these chi-fi DAPs do it.I wish Benchmark would make no bullshmit no software bugs proper DAP but that aint gonna happen.I can overlook the audiophool bullcarp and enjoy the good things these DAPs can offer,I dont really have a choice.

All the DAP measurements I found at www.reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en.
Its some russian dude with E-MU soundcard but since nobody else measures DAPs its best thing on the internet so far,I already asked Amir to measure more DAPs but unfortunately he tried it and picked the shittiest piece of garbage of a DAP,some Shozy Alien and it measured worse than iPhone which made Amir think all DAPs are useless scam junk not worth his time so I have no hope we will se him measure another DAP anytime soon.

Last edited:

dc655321

Major Contributor
I can overlook the audiophool bullcarp and enjoy the good things these DAPs can offer,I dont really have a choice.

Glad to hear you're aware of the BS.
Curious why you say, "I don't really have a choice"?

Amir think all DAPs are useless scam junk not worth his time so I have no hope we will se him measure another DAP anytime soon.

I was going to send amirm my R3, but didn't hold on to it long enough. It pissed me off that much :)
I did send him my NX-4, which he did measure.
Would also really like to see more DAPs measured here. Far too much marketing and subjective hype abounds in that domain.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

All these DAPs are marinated in audiophool BS,literaly every single of them.This isnt like desktop audio where you have high quality, BS free products from studio gear manufacturers like Benchmark,Violectric,RME etc.

Even ESS and AKM,the DAC manufacturers whose chips are in all DAPs, feed into this mess of audiophool psychosis by releasing DACs that have this idiotic switchable anti aliasing filters build into them right from the factory,your average audiophool have mathematic and engineering knowledge of yeast and doesnt realise the pre and post ringing of linear phase brickwall filter is ultrasonic and thus inaudible and doesnt "smear" the sound in any way.

dc655321

Major Contributor
your average audiophool have mathematic and engineering knowledge of yeast

hahaha. That's gold right there... Thanks for that.

doesnt realise the pre and post ringing of linear phase brickwall filter is ultrasonic and thus inaudible and doesnt "smear" the sound in any way.

But... But... The ripples?!? :facepalm:

Good luck with your hunt.
I've settled on my SMSL iDea at work, my iphone se on the go, and my nx4 at home (with my HD 6xx).
Honestly, my iphone gets the most usage just because it's so convenient (and proximate).

I have to squint really hard with my ears to notice any difference among my 3 sources, if there is any at all...
And that gets in the way of enjoying my tunes, so I try not to do that :)

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

I dont have smartphone,just Huawei M3 tablet ( I like big screen ) and its headphone output sucks balls,its capacitor coupled but the capacitors are too small so the high pass have -3db point way too high and it kills the sub bass.Also its audibly distorted and just generaly sounds bad.

I was thinking of buying Pro Ject Pre Box S2 for 350$ which have nice headphone output but I want portable with wireless.I serves like USB galvanic isolation and turns wired headphones into quasi pseudo faux wireless.I love to stand or walk when listening,being restricted in movement and comfort by the cable annoys me so when I saw that DAPs have Wi Fi and can play loseless red book grade PCM wirelessly,I said to myself my next dac amp must have that feature.

Top Bottom