• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does anybody actually listen to "Hotel California" outside of gear demos? (answer: apparently so)

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
hmm...this thread just came to mind after listening to the Live from the forum 2015 rendition of the song...but i see there's more interesting stuff going on here lately :p

JaccoW

I'm young enough that I don't remember the Eagles being played to death in the 70's but in December one popular radio station here plays a Top 2000 of "the best songs of all time", voted for by the public.

For the past 20 years it was always a fight between Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, the Eagles's Hotel California and... something else.

You can tell the Boomer crowd that voted for 70's rock is dying out being replaced by the younger generations. There is a lot of 80's and 90's music entering the top 10 the past couple of years.

I occasionally listen to a couple of songs from the Hotel California album that was ripped from an SACD ISO file. The sound quality is really nice but yeah, it's probably played to death for most.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm mediocre at best so I listen to the Eagles. The Hell Freezes Over DVD has an extended version of Hotel California.
The dynamic range is realy good from Hell Freezes Over, especialy Hotel California. Listen to the Kickdrum at second 32 if you want to impress with your Low.
The same with Deep Purpel Live in japan - Child In Time (Osaka 15th August 1972) Best version of child in time i ever heard till now.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You can tell the Boomer crowd that voted for 70's rock is dying out being replaced by the younger generations. There is a lot of 80's and 90's music entering the top 10 the past couple of years.
I was watching the Elton John Special on Disney+ Sunday night and was surprised by the number of youngsters in the audience who were singing along and knowing every word, even Elton commented on the situation. I can't imagine when I was pre-teen or teen seeing a large number of my generation going to see a 1910s-40s swing band or whatever.
Just Sayin
Yo @JaccoW I ain't ready to croak yet, though I'm sure many wish I would. LOL

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I'm young enough that I don't remember the Eagles being played to death in the 70's but in December one popular radio station here plays a Top 2000 of "the best songs of all time", voted for by the public.

For the past 20 years it was always a fight between Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, the Eagles's Hotel California and... something else.

I occasionally listen to a couple of songs from the Hotel California album that was ripped from an SACD ISO file. The sound quality is really nice but yeah, it's probably played to death for most.
And when enough time passes, you get some silly situations where old boomers keep saying it all went downhill in the 80', but youngsters are labeling vintage the music from 90' and they say "back then when music was great, when Blood Sugar Sex Magic was released".

oceansize

Forum Donor
And when enough time passes, you get some silly situations where old boomers keep saying it all went downhill in the 80', but youngsters are labeling vintage the music from 90' and they say "back then when music was great, when Blood Sugar Sex Magic was released".
Yeah. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

JaccoW

I was watching the Elton John Special on Disney+ Sunday night and was surprised by the number of youngsters in the audience who were singing along and knowing every word, even Elton commented on the situation. I can't imagine when I was pre-teen or teen seeing a large number of my generation going to see a 1910s-40s swing band or whatever.
Just Sayin
Yo @JaccoW I ain't ready to croak yet, though I'm sure many wish I would. LOL
Ha, I definitely don't want all the Boomers to die. You and I might disagree sometimes on what makes for good music but there is no accounting for taste. ;)

Both my parents are in that category and I'd prefer to keep them around a bit longer. Even though I sometimes argue with my dad why he votes for one of the more conservative partners with a prime minister that has time and time again been shown to be incompetent, lie and not have a clear vision. His answer of "I've always voted for them" is not the greatest answer and my mom and I tease him for it during election time.

Anyhow, some music or artists are simply legendary. Elton John being one of them and one of the more unique singers of his time. You won't easily mistake him for some other generic singer. That's one thing I don't like about early 2000's emo- and pop rock bands. They all sound alike. That goes for a lot of rock bands actually.

Top Bottom