• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does anybody actually listen to "Hotel California" outside of gear demos? (answer: apparently so)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I hated disco and the stuff from Hall and Oates was about the worst.
But Daryl Hall is an incredible talent and singer in R&B.
I love watching his streaming show Live From Daryl's House
Each show brings on a special guest star and they perform dynamite music together.
One of my favorite has Smoky Robinson as guest.

Wow, look at that stack of old ham gear.
I'd love to have that now.

You're entitled to your opinion, it just happens to be wrong.
I liked the Tommy Shaw episode as well. Live from Daryl’s House can be addictive.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I listened to it when I was young and it had come out. Don't queue it up now but when it comes on radio, I listen to it.
If analysed objectively it's in that category of songs that have not stood the test ifof time but trigger very strong memories. They are deeply entwined with your past.

Edit.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...and sales of Eagles albums bump significantly. Industry experts are puzzled. They have yet to realize the ASR effect ;)

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
...and sales of Eagles albums bump significantly. Industry experts are puzzled. They have yet to realize the ASR effect ;)
No doubt the Eaglea are smooth slick and pleasant to listen to. As a previous post said they invoke memories of younger days nothing more, nothing less.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I listen to a lot of music I think kids would say is way too "dad rock".. in fact a lot of the music I like was dead and buried before I was born... I listen to music at work and I can honestly listen to say Fleetwood Mac or Beatles or someone of that era and you know you are listening to musical genius.

I think Don Henley and Glenn Frey are 'there' at that level to some people but I can honestly say I'd be happy if I didnt have to listen to them ever again.

I also think Stairway Heaven is one of those songs I can listen to say, once a week and not get bored. The live version is probably the great live song ever (1973 Madison Square Garden).

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hopped in the car yesterday to drive home from work, started it up and Hotel California was playing on the radio. I instinctively dove for the station selector buttons and clicked to switch to another station. I listened to a few notes of the rock song that was playing and laughed out loud as I remembered about this thread.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw Don Henley in concert, 1990. Still got the T-shirt.

He was pretty good. Did 'Desperado' as the encore.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think urban folklore is that glenn frey and don henley are quite infamous for being... a'holes... i get that...once you experience success on this level you tend to "get high on your own supply"... qv. Pink Floyd

but tell me this isnt something else:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

dpturner

Forum Donor
Reactions: MCH

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Late reply, but brains have not yet been properly applied to this thread.

Yes; I toss it on, because it's a good catchy tune (by many definitions).

I'm not suggesting discussing the best version on repeat during a circle jerk on the topic; but it's a good rock tune. And the Eagles have more than just this. I'm no fan-boy of theirs, but how many times have we heard "Ace of Spades" or "Bad Company" or "Behind Blue Eyes"

OP: get off your pretentious high horse of pretentiousness; get over the bad jokes regarding signs hanging in made-up music stores, find something better to do than this post. Please. Thanks.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a great song for me, not even a little bit upbeat if you grok the lyrics. And, yes it is well recorded so that is an extra bonus. And there are great covers of it too. I know The Eagles aren’t everybody’s cup of tea, but I willfully crank them all the time.
I find some of the covers better than the original. But, being the type of person that has all of my songs on physical media, I do not own a copy of it. It's not so much that I don't like it, I just don't like it enough to have added it to my collection of stuff.

MAB

Major Contributor
I find some of the covers better than the original. But, being the type of person that has all of my songs on physical media, I do not own a copy of it. It's not so much that I don't like it, I just don't like it enough to have added it to my collection of stuff.
Yes, there are many great covers of so many songs they wrote. The reason is: they wrote so many great songs.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Ironically -- I just (!) got home from my fall semester teaching gig in Boston. Walk in the living room, and Mrs. H is listening to... Hotel California via our NAS :)

Sashoir

Forum Donor
A fair number of the songs mentioned in this thread bring back a lot of memories of my youth; not because my friends and I were in to "hi-fi", but because we used to go to snooker halls and pubs with jukeboxes (I doubt they exist anymore), and our "playlists" were weighted ~2/3 on song length and ~1/3 on song quality, to "get our money's worth". Completely different (for the most part) to what we'd play on the stereo at home.
On the other hand, because they were the songs we listened to as a group, they were also the songs we'd play and sing together on instruments at someone's uncle's shack in the countryside. Except "Riders on the Storm". None of us liked that (but it was good jukebox value).

MRC01

Major Contributor
Over the last week I've been too consumed listening to the just released, incredible sounding, James Guthrie 5.1 channel remix of Pink Floyd - Animals.
We've waited years for this one due to Roger Waters ego and just generally being a wanker. ...
I didn't know about this. I'm listening to it now on Qobuz. I like this remix. The tonal balance is better and warmer, not midrange focused like the original. It's more dry (less reverb), especially the vocals, which improves clarity. And it has an extra octave of depth in the bass. Very well done.

PS: at roughly 6:26 and 6:33 in track 3 (Pigs) I heard this subterranean level bass like my house was shaking, an earthquake or tanks driving down the street in front of my house. Not overwhelming the music, but underneath it. Analyzing the track, it's a dual tone at 16 Hz and 32 Hz. Impressive. And artistically it suits the music perfectly at that moment.

PPS: this remix is not dynamically squashed. Hooray, to see an exception to the sad state of modern remixes & remasters.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, there are many great covers of so many songs they wrote. The reason is: they wrote so many great songs.
Yep, I just like the majority of the Eagles written songs played by the Eagles less than I like many, many others playing the songs that the Eagles wrote.
Just as I despise Bob Dilan's songs when sung by him, I really like a lot of them when song by someone other than him.
Yep, I know that most folks feel differently about that in both of those cases. To each their own.

Top Bottom