• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does anybody actually listen to "Hotel California" outside of gear demos? (answer: apparently so)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Steely Dan advised us to 'Turn up the Eagles, the neighbours are listening' on 'Everything You Did.'

''Glenn Frey of the Eagles said, "Apparently Walter Becker's girlfriend loved the Eagles, and she played them all the time. I think it drove him nuts.''

the Eagles returned the favour on "Hotel California" with the line, "They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast." With the clear intention of getting a Steely Dan mention in the song, the line was written as "They stab it with their Steely Dan," but they decided to make it a little more vague. As Glenn Frey has pointed out, changing it to "steely knives" retains the phallic imagery.

Personally I still occasionally listen to 'Hotel California' (the whole album ofc), their first album, 'One Of These Nights' and 'The Long Run.'

'After The Thrill Has Gone' from 'One Of These Nights' is one of the best things ever done by anyone ever and wipes out all their other sins and omissions as far as I'm concerned.

Newman

Major Contributor
Over the last week I've been too consumed listening to the just released, incredible sounding, James Guthrie 5.1 channel remix of Pink Floyd - Animals.
View attachment 232816
So they just released it now, yet they put 2018 on the cover? I guess that makes sense at one level, but an album is usually dated by its release date, not when the engineering work happened, which could be spread over years anyway.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was just wondering about that myself....extreme covid delay?
So they just released it now, yet they put 2018 on the cover? I guess that makes sense at one level, but an album is usually dated by its release date, not when the engineering work happened, which could be spread over years anyway.

Newman

Major Contributor
…there were much more interesting thing happening in Britain at the time, i.e. Punk, and The Eagles were basically the epitome of what music should not be like.
Someone tried playing a fusion of jazz and punk, but it came out junk.

Newman

Major Contributor
Q: Why did the farmer start a punk rock band?
A: Because he was tired of haulin’ oats.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still don’t know who they are, but I’m impressed with pre-gen Z vowel-dropping

Edit: I’m also from Oz
From GRUNGE: THE TRUTH ABOUT HOW LYNYRD SKYNYRD GOT THEIR NAME

Rebellion has a rock and roll soul. Little Richard, who has a legitimate claim to being the architect of rock and roll, was basically the original Prince plus a bunch of cocaine. The insane GG Allin was basically rage-fueled anarchy. And the king of rock, Elvis Presley, defied racial stereotypes with the blues-infused style he acquired from listening to black musicians, and defied old people with his suggestive hips.

They bandmates/schoolmates liked their hair long, but phys ed teacher Leonard Skinner essentially said, "Not in my backyard," which was school. That meant multiple suspensions. Since Skinner wouldn't get out of their hair, the group basically adapted his name and made it their own. They didn't stop there, though. The cover for their 1975 album, Nuthin' Fancy, displayed the logo of Skinner's real-estate business along with his name and phone number. Thousands of calls poured in from fans attempting to contact Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Sadly, the teacher who inspired them eventually developed Alzheimer's disease. In a touching show of gratitude, Gary Rossington honored Skinner: "Coach Skinner had such a profound impact on our youth that ultimately led us to naming the band, which you know as Lynyrd Skynyrd, after him. Looking back, I cannot imagine it any other way."

Read More: https://www.grunge.com/201511/the-truth-about-how-lynyrd-skynyrd-got-their-name/?utm_campaign=clip

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Someone tried playing a fusion of jazz and punk, but it came out junk.

Jazz/punk? That's a song I've been enjoying over the past year, surprised you know it.

Or metal/lounge if you are genre-picky. I like the way the jazz elements are used from the get-go but only become obvious the second/third break. You appreciate a hearty cleansing ale after a thread like this puts a cheesy 70s ear-worm in your brain. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I believe kind of kicking dirt in Waters face for his 4 years of delaying legal tactics over total BS
Just my guess

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
The Eagles did a farewell tour DVD in Melbourne Australia that is pretty damn good. Play the DVD through your stereo while watching the performance. Hotel California was impressive as well as quite a few of the cuts. Joe Walsh is hilarious!

Top Bottom