• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does amps give me better sound and do i need it?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll just recieved my oppo's now. Just need to get my daughter to bed now, before testing them! Im gonna invest in a desktop dac/amp later to use with a open headphone, but that will prob be after the summer. And im a patient guy. I have search the web for a portable closedback can since february. Reading myself up, learning to read/understand FQ's ,writing pro's and con's , eliminated those cans that possibly didnt match what i think im looking for and patiently waited for the "perfect deal"! Just that chase is awesome.. so i bet the same will happen with open cans and a dac/amp. IF i want, can i use the EQ in UAPP so it works with tidal/spotify? It would be cool if it was a way to use oratory1990 presets on android or if there is an app that has atleast 10 parameter's to do it manually?

I also have a hearing damage that suddenly occur at high volume 's. Especially wth high volumes + high frequencies. Hyperacusis
. So ive found out so far that 70db is a very good listening volume for me. So my goal is to find i good sound without cranking the volume very high up.

I am only familiar with guitaramps.not headphone amp. To f.ex get the best tube sound for me in guitaramp world was to use a kt88 modded amp on high volume so that the tubes did their work and then use an attenuator to deliver the same cranked tube sound on very low volume 's. But i dont think headphones amps works like that at all?
Uapp has (I think) limited free eq. Has peq as a bolt on. Will work with streaming. Think you'd have to manually import the peq settings from oratory but no big deal for one or 2 sets

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am only familiar with guitaramps.not headphone amp. To f.ex get the best tube sound for me in guitaramp world was to use a kt88 modded amp on high volume so that the tubes did their work and then use an attenuator to deliver the same cranked tube sound on very low volume 's. But i dont think headphones amps works like that at all?

Guitar amps are a totally different thing from hi-fi amps. You usually don't want a hi-fi amp to have its own sound the way a guitar amp does.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guitar amps are a totally different thing from hi-fi amps. You usually don't want a hi-fi amp to have its own sound the way a guitar amp does.

Indeed, you dont want a dirty screen when watching dirty movies, do you?

OP
W

W1ll1eTheP1mp

Uapp has (I think) limited free eq. Has peq as a bolt on. Will work with streaming. Think you'd have to manually import the peq settings from oratory but no big deal for one or 2 sets

Ive downloaded Apo+Peace and got them up running. Ive just plotted in the Eq numbers and values that is shown down left in the oratory document into peace. But can i adjust the numbers in UAPP , fex quality ? As i can in peace?

Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ive downloaded Apo+Peace and got them up running. Ive just plotted in the Eq numbers and values that is shown down left in the oratory document into peace. But can i adjust the numbers in UAPP , fex quality ? As i can in peace?

Thanks
What is "fex"? You can adjust the numbers as much as you like. Whether it's a change for the better is a different story

Top Bottom