• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does a Topping L30 have enough power for a Q 3020i passive speaker?

Mrbitcoin

Hello guys,

I want to buy a passive speaker coming from a edifier 1850db. Now my problem is these requirements for the q3020i:
Nominal Impedance: 6 Ω
Minimum Impedance: 4 Ω

A simple google will tell me that a L30 can output maximum of 3.5 ohm. But doing some research and reading posts/reviews people are generally saying that it can push higher up to 16 ohms in pre is that true?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The L30 is headphones amp—not enough power output for speakers. The difference is between fractions of a watt supplied by the L30 and tens of watts that those speakers need. Impedance isn’t the main issue here, but headphones have much higher impedance than loudspeakers in general.

Rick “you need a power amplifier with speaker outputs” Denney

OP
M

Mrbitcoin

So I was wrong all along thanks for clarifying that what a waste of time.

So if I wanted to buy these I would have to buy a Power AMP and (DAC combo not sure super confused), any suggestions?
I want to keep it tiny no big boy amps as I will use these nearfield and try to keep my desk as clean as possible.

This is why I love ASR always learning new things!

OP
M

Mrbitcoin

Thanks man are you from DIY audioheaven? I bought a cable filter for my DT 1990 pro from you? If so it really is super awesome the filter great job. That AMP looks great but I do have a budget that I can stretch for ergonomics and in these few minutes I found the TOPPING MX3 Digital Amplifier Bluetooth ClassD All in one caught my attention as it eyes better on my desk next to the topping or above it. I am just not sure if this amp will do the job?

Depending on the inputs needed, for sure. With USB as the only input: I tested the Hidizs S9 straight to the A07 (32V 5A) and it sounded great so far (total cost: 118€ from AliExpress)

Yea I want to use USB only because I recently build my own pc with the new realtek ALC 4080 and USB is superior to any other input for my desktop.

"The ALC4080 breaks with the long tradition of direct connection to the SoC via a bi-lingual interface (HD-A or I2S/I2C) and uses USB instead."

Source: https://www.igorslab.de/en/the-old-...ied-and-the-differences-from-alc1220-insider/

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks man are you from DIY audioheaven?

That AMP looks great but I do have a budget that I can stretch for ergonomics and in these few minutes I found the TOPPING MX3 Digital Amplifier Bluetooth ClassD All in one caught my attention as it eyes better on my desk next to the topping or above it. I am just not sure if this amp will do the job?

Yes, and probably when you are going to use it as a PC speaker setup.
For serious listening in a room it won't do.

OP
M

Mrbitcoin

Yes, and probably when you are going to use it as a PC speaker setup.
For serious listening in a room it won't do.

I am actually doubting myself now might as well do it right and go for the recommended amp you linked me. But I am looking for a matching DAC currently I want to keep my E30 for headphones only as it matches the l30 pretty nice and the combo is godly my endgame :).

Also I just tried to plug in my old modi 3 DAC after storing it for 4 months in a box at room temperature it died it gives light but no connection so sad never schiit audio again, Had pot issues with the magni 3 unbalanced left and right sound. This schiit it is going strait into the trashbin where it belongs. Amp still works but nobody wants to hear everything louder on the left channel so I can't even resell it.

Well back to my hunting quest for the matching DAC!

OP
M

Mrbitcoin

Depending on the inputs needed, for sure. With USB as the only input: I tested the Hidizs S9 straight to the A07 (32V 5A) and it sounded great so far. Total cost: 118€ from AliExpress.

Been looking at your setup the HIDIZS S9 Portable Amplifier but it cost 159 euro. I am looking for alternatives and put this is on my will buy if I find nothing list! Thanks man really appreciate your input.

Thalis

You can just add a power amp to the chain... feeding off the L30 and you're all set. No need for another DAC combo etc.

OP
M

Mrbitcoin

You can just add a power amp to the chain... feeding off the L30 and you're all set. No need for another DAC combo etc.

Hello Thalis, so if I am not mistaken what you are saying is that If use the RCA output on my L30 that is currently hooked to my edifier speaker to the power amp I can use those passive speakers without another DAC? That would be the best solution and super awesome in terms of desk space!

Thalis

Hello Thalis, so if I am not mistaken what you are saying is that If use the RCA output on my L30 that is currently hooked to my edifier speaker to the power amp I can use those passive speakers without another DAC? That would be the best solution and super awesome in terms of desk space!

Yes :)

Source > E30 > L30 > Power Amp > passive speakers

There is a toggle on the L30 should you want to use either pre or headphones :)

Edit... keep the gain at 0dB when you use the L30 as a pre

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been looking at your setup the HIDIZS S9 Portable Amplifier but it cost 159 euro
It doesn't. I guess you're living in EU, since this is the (way overpriced) price listed at Amazon EU. MSRP was 119€ at launch.

You could have get one for quite a few less... It is now discontinued anyway. The S9 Pro is launching tomorrow.

OP
M

Mrbitcoin

Guys I just pulled the trigger on the power amp AIYIMA A07 and speakers thanks for all your input. you have been so helpful much love!

Will take the route Thalis explained it to me!

Thalis

I just checked the link... apparently not

But i am sure he can pick a better one now with more ooomph

Top Bottom