• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does a new amplifier generally require a repositioning of speakers?

andrewngu

I have brand new separates on order to replace my all-in-one player, which should hopefully arrive this week. Last year, I went through the tedious exercise of dialing in my speaker position for my room, which included both prolonged listening tests and taking measurements. The whole ordeal was a bit physically taxing (I have a pair of floorstanders) and also required plrenty of concentration and focus (a few lasers were involved), but I ended with great sound and in my estimation, the best performance out of my gear. Does conventional wisdom suggest I'll have to repeat the exercise when my new electronics arrive?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I have brand new separates on order to replace my all-in-one player, which should hopefully arrive this week. Last year, I went through the tedious exercise of dialing in my speaker position for my room, which included both prolonged listening tests and taking measurements. The whole ordeal was a bit physically taxing (I have a pair of floorstanders) and also required plrenty of concentration and focus (a few lasers were involved), but I ended with great sound and in my estimation, the best performance out of my gear. Does conventional wisdom suggest I'll have to repeat the exercise when my new electronics arrive?

No. As long you decidet a amp that is not a eq, like some tubes. No need.
Or your old had a channel inbalance, and your new has no balance knob.

Last edited:
Top Bottom