• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does a device exist that can do…...

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a device, if it exists, that can do the following:

- Preamp with analog and digital inputs and remote control
- Ability to convert the analog inputs to digital
- ability to output digital signal as part of an 'effects loop' (I want to convert analog to digital, output it to my computer for processing and then send it back for the following steps…)
- ability to take the digital signal back in and perform crossover duties (including PEQ and time delay)
- output analog with volume control to two stereo amps (so I need 4 analog outs)

I think the MiniDSP SHD comes very close but it falls over as it can't do the 'effects loop'.

I know could do the AD conversion with a separate box but I'm wondering if something exists that can do it all?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP 10x10HD may be up to this IIUC, as it has digital in and out plus 8x analogue in/out, and a matrix mixer. Not 100% sure though.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 Pro in matrix mode. Page 40 in the manual.
Windows software:
Voicemeeter Potato
and a VST Host running the VST needed?

This one is really hard to crack, my brain hurts.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

- ability to output digital signal as part of an 'effects loop' (I want to convert analog to digital, output it to my computer for processing and then send it back for the following steps…)
- ability to take the digital signal back in and perform crossover duties (including PEQ and time delay)
- output analog with volume control to two stereo amps (so I need 4 analog outs)

I think the MiniDSP SHD comes very close but it falls over as it can't do the 'effects loop'.

I know could do the AD conversion with a separate box but I'm wondering if something exists that can do it all?

I need to do just about the same thing. My Apt/Holman pre has an effects loop. And I have one amp (mono operation) L & one R and a stereo one for a pair of subs. My thought is run the MiniDSP SHD in my effects loop (output to both my computer and my pre, I can handle the split between the amps post pre.

xykreinov

Forum Donor

The miniDSP SHD has an ADC with analogue XLR & RCA input. Isn't that what you need for the "effects loop"? Also, why do you need an effects loop like that? Just curious.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well remote control is problem. Back in the days some companies included it with desktop sound cards the top one's at least like Creative Audigy ZS Platinum Pro but no any more. You can set probably any of 5.1 or more channels one's to output on rare same as on front channels, they have crossover and effects include DSP, ADC the input section will vary along with presence of headphone amp and other. Of course you will be at least partly limited by having to use Windows. I hope this at least helps you direct your search.

OP
Sir Sanders Zingmore

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
MiniDSP 10x10HD may be up to this IIUC, as it has digital in and out plus 8x analogue in/out, and a matrix mixer. Not 100% sure though.

Ok so I discovered an additional constraint: my crossover needs 29ms of delay and the 10x10hd can only do 15ms

Also I’m not sure it can do the digital loop I require.

OP
Sir Sanders Zingmore

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
The miniDSP SHD has an ADC with analogue XLR & RCA input. Isn't that what you need for the "effects loop"? Also, why do you need an effects loop like that? Just curious.

I checked with miniDSP and there are two issues:
1) the digital output cannot be rerouted back in as a “loop”.
2) the digital output happens after processing is applied ( ie the crossover and DIRC (if I use it) will be applied to the signal that goes out to my computer - I need it to be applied after it comes back in)

OP
Sir Sanders Zingmore

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
I need to do just about the same thing. My Apt/Holman pre has an effects loop. And I have one amp (mono operation) L & one R and a stereo one for a pair of subs. My thought is run the MiniDSP SHD in my effects loop (output to both my computer and my pre, I can handle the split between the amps post pre.

I need (almost) exactly that kind of effects loop but I need it to be digital

xykreinov

Forum Donor
I checked with miniDSP and there are two issues:
1) the digital output cannot be rerouted back in as a “loop”.
2) the digital output happens after processing is applied ( ie the crossover and DIRC (if I use it) will be applied to the signal that goes out to my computer - I need it to be applied after it comes back in)
I see. Ever heard of PulseEffects? It's software DSP with PEQ that should do what you want, if you need everything to be digital. You can just set PulseEffect's own output back to PulseEffect's own input.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It’s unclear to me whether it can do full crossover duties and also if it has preamp functionality with remote control.
Sorry, I thought you were aiming to do the crossover in the computer 'effects loop'. The 8A (and the rest of their AVB range) has some degree of onboard EQ, but not enough for crossover duty, and it won't do the delay. They have a full mixer control via web interface so you can use a phone or tablet as a remote, and they publish the API so a custom app or hardware remote is possible. Universal Audio probably have an interface with enough onboard DSP for the crossover, but may not do the remote part. The Auverdion Aurora might be worth a look, but some DIY would be involved and the DAC/ADC may not be at the level you're looking for.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need (almost) exactly that kind of effects loop but I need it to be digital
I'm thinking that I would run the loop in into the ADC, do the PEQ & whatever else in the digital domain, run the out into my oppo 205 DAC back into the analog loop in to the pre-outs and the analog crossover to the amps. Not ideal but likely workable with what I have. I'm also hoping that it would allow me to shunt the completed digital domain stuff to my SSD on my computer.

Top Bottom