• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does a dented dust cap matter?

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had an eBay seller today tell me that the pushed in dust cap on the tweeter of the speaker he's selling is fine as it "has no impact on the sound". Given that a lot of what a tweeter does is about dispersion, this just sounds wrong to me. Is he right?

lRwJkFX.jpg

jgiannakas

That’s not the dust cap, it’s the tweeter itself. I guess it would hit dispersion and probably frequency response. Also it may have bent the voice coil. Presume you can get a replacement if the speaker is from a reputable manufacturer? But to be fair I wouldn’t buy it, would get one that is not abused ;)

ctbarker32

It may or may not. Many times, you can repair by using something sticky like tape to pull out the dent. Worth a try.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It could have an effect and I wouldn't buy it! And, that looks like the dome (the full moving/radiating area) not "just" a dust cap. It's also possible that it's touching the magnet.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
As is often mentioned, "You hear what you see".

Unless you can replace it exactly and economically I'd pass it by.

HooStat

Buy it and send it to Amir so he can compare the good and bad speaker. It would be educational to understand exactly what is different. I suspect it still sounds "ok". (not saying the frequency response is correct, just that it probably still sounds like music when you use it)

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damage is damage.

That's a toddler dent, no doubt.
If there's an available replacement tweeter, a price reduction is in order.

If the tweeter is unobtainable - you need a pair of contemporary replacements.

Bob-23

AFAIK, in some youtube-video somebody recommended in such a case not to touch anything but putting your open mouth over the tweeter dome and sucking the air in - by the underpressure the dome would come out...

thegeton

Forum Donor
Bit of folded tape should get that back out. Or if you're feeling brave the kiss of life ;). But yeah squashed like that it will affect sound.

"...Or if you're feeling brave the kiss of life..."

Coolest thing I've read this week

egellings

Major Contributor
A damaged 'dustcap' (dome) on a dome means a damaged tweeter. I'm sure such a tweeter will play, but I suspect that it will act up miserably at higher sound pressure levels. Dispersion characteristics will have had to have been changed after the damage occurred as well. Replace it. A dented dust cap on a woofer makes no difference at all beyond the cosmetics, and so long as it doesn't flap in the breeze at higher volumes.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Silk/soft domes often can be pulled out carefully without leaving wrinkles (hard/metal ones almost never), if some wrinkles remain though you can be sure it the dome will have an earlier break up mode which is easily measurable and often also quite audible.

OWC

Most of these domes can be fixed by

- squeeze the wrinkles out with your fingers
- use a vacuum cleaner on lower power and your hand to keep enough distance
- disassemble the tweeter.

Seriously you will be surprised how easy it is to disassemble most tweeters.
Also a bit in the realm of, it is already broken, you can only fix it ;)

Shazb0t

A dented tweeter like that is definitely going to affect the frequency response/distortion characteristics of the tweeter.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I've had a speaker in the past like this.

Now I won't say it didn't affect the sound. But what I will say is that it looks like it'd cause the speaker to output a horribly distorted, unlistenable mess. And surprisingly it doesn't.

dshreter

AFAIK, in some youtube-video somebody recommended in such a case not to touch anything but putting your open mouth over the tweeter dome and sucking the air in - by the underpressure the dome would come out...
Or a plunger…

pot

Some smooch won't hurt. I imagine for soft dome one it wouldn't be much noticeable. But for metal dome, the wrinkle is still there and might compromise the whole structural integrity, which might affect the breakup frequency.

But maybe it won't drastically change the measurement, but for me personally i wouldn't buy it if i couldn't get a factory replacement.

1629602264516.png

Jukka

Maybe repairable, but tells how the speakers have been kept. I'd pass.

Top Bottom