• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does a clean power supply matter.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering if a clean power-supply really matter. I understand that a clean power-supply is all about reducing the amount of noise generated by electrical sources. But what sort effect has a such device is it audible or in the same category as changing cables. If you using for instance an current based amp like my NADC370 which can handle quite some short term burst of power (ISC Impedance Sensing Circuit ) or does an Class A, D or Valve amp has more advantage using an clean power-supply/filter.? Does my or any other amp cleans by it self the power supply out of the wall.?

Or is buying such device is buying into snake oil.? The biggest improvement till now using with my gear is using room correction software an using absorption panels for first reflections at least 60 a 70% improvement. I don't expect such difference using an new power-supply/filter but what can you expect. Is it worthwhile investing in such device. If so can you measure on for hand your current power-supply to determine if it make sense to test/buy such device. Is their a science verdict on tis topic...

Last edited:
OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't matter for well designed devices.
Yes i was wondering if a well designd amp does do it's own cleaning. For instance my NAD is making use of a Impedance Sensing Circuit it probably stores the current in elco's i guess that are more or less balanced or i'm talking bs:facepalm:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes i was wondering if a well designd amp does do it's own cleaning. For instance my NAD is making use of a Impedance Sensing Circuit it probably stores the current in elco's i guess that are more or less balanced or i'm talking bs:facepalm:
It's a matter of design. Also the "real" power supply noise doesn't cause issues 99% of the time. It's usually ground related issue or interference (emi).
A SMPS + Balanced interconnects will basically guarantee a clean noise floor.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir has tested products that clean up power and has shown that while they work, the distortion/noise out of the DAC did not change, they do their own filtering internally. I think he showed his power out of his wall being like 3% THD or something, so of course filtering as to be going on to get SINAD scores better than that.

kejar31

Pretty sure he is asking about power amps, not DAC’s.
I will repeat what another person said though, as long as the device is designed properly you shouldn’t worry about the power supply.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will repeat what another person said though, as long as the device is designed properly you shouldn’t worry about the power supply.
Indeed he was. Maybe not a useful comparison.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The key is the PSR of the audio circuit. If it's low, then the power supply noise is important. If it's high, then the power supply noise doesn't matter (within reason).

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes and no i'm running a USB hub, DAC (using the USB hub) printer, laptop an my amplifier on 1 power socket/extension block. So were to put such power device. On the socket/block or only on the amp.

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes i was wondering if a well designd amp does do it's own cleaning.
Having worked for some years in amp product planning I'd say "yes." But, everything is designed to a price. So some designs could benefit from filtering or power regenerators-which are perhaps actually more likely to fix grounding problems and such. What does NOT make sense to me is to spend a big % of money on that stuff-get a better amp!

Overall power supplies certainly matter a LOT, as much or sometimes more than the audio circuitry (which by the way is working from the power supply!). In one instance, we found a peculiar sound in a CD player. It sounded so peculiar my colleague in charge of measurements called me up to listen I found it was a scratched test disc causing the laser to go nuts trying to read the disc, and the currents drawn modulated into the audio through the common power supply. You could see a big difference in the "fuzz" at the bottom of the 1 kHz spike in an FFT of the test tone.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping offers a lot of those "Clean" Power supplies but they never never never sent-in one of them for testing purposes. I wonder why.
I don't think there is anything sinister about that, it just probably did not occur to them. I presume you are talking about improved supplies to replace the "wall wart" little amps usually come with? That would be an interesting test indeed.

Top Bottom