• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does 2-way monitor size matter if you compliment with networked sub? (Genelec + in general)

somn

Hi,
first post here.

I'm looking into upgrading my monitoring and will be investing in a smart system - leaning heavily towards Genelec as I really like my 8010 (which I got for backup) and think they hit way above their weight. This is not for leisure but for mixing mainly electronic music.

I feel there are two choices here - either getting a system of smaller monitors (4/5/7) + a subwoofer, or hitting big with 8" and getting larger or possibly even 3-way speakers, although I'd try to avoid stretching my budget that far.

But if I were to go with option one, smaller 2-ways + smart sub, is there any actual drawback for going with the 4" rather than the 5" system? There are both spatial and price advantages of going with smaller monitors, and it will free up more money for a great subwoofer. On the other hand, if there are major drawbacks in performance, I will go for the larger system.

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
No simple answer especially about whether a 3 way monitor and cheaper sub is better than a 2 way monitor and better more expensive sub. My personal opinion based on some experience is that integrating a near full range 3-way speaker with a sub is much easier and better performing that other combinations but it is more expensive. Based on reviews here I would look at the Neumann KH 310A and sealed sub. I also find integrating sealed speakers with sealed subs is easier than other combinations. Sounds like you will end up with something good in any case.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
if you look at distorsion meassurements, there is no 5" monitor that really can output high SPL without distorting. the same graphs also show you that they should actualy be high-passed way above the usual 80Hz.

Mario Sanchez

My personal opinion is that ported, small 2-ways have inherent issues even if they are high-passed to a sub. Namely, the presence of a port means there likely will be some mid-range resonances (which cannot be contained, since the mid-woofer cannot be sealed for the port trick to work, but can be damped at the cost of bass output), so if you ask me, better roll with 3-way plus a sub... If the budget permits, of course.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also you will need to cross over at a higher frequency. The sub will be easily localized.

I have the 8010 myself and really enjoyed them. They are great if you need to move them around. Great for close field listening but then at that distance they suffer from comb filtering so your head has to be very still. So they have a purpose but a compromised in some ways for portability.

Next I went to LS50w. Whether real or imagined it bothered me to see the driver that is handling mids moving like that.

Probably it was more imagination because i’m not sure if the IMD caused by it is audible. I just went to a 3 way monitor.

Top Bottom