• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you think this Comsol simulation result of Bass Trap make sense?

MengW

The small room size is 4.5x3.1x2.7 meter.

Bass trap, Radius=0.6m, Height=2.7m

Flow resistivity=10000 Pa·s/m²

The radius is 0.6 meters, which should not be too small for home use.

But this simulation result only works above 110Hz?

Do you think this is reasonable?

Thanks.
1680095291377.png

1680095242824.png

1680095252175.png

ppataki

Major Contributor
The small room size is 4.5x3.1x2.7 meter.

Bass trap, Radius=0.6m, Height=2.7m

Flow resistivity=10000 Pa·s/m²

The radius is 0.6 meters, which should not be too small for home use.

But this simulation result only works above 110Hz?

Do you think this is reasonable?

Thanks.
View attachment 275698

View attachment 275696

View attachment 275697

@MengW
A bit off-topic but I would really appreciate if you could please share how this simulation was done in Comsol
I would love to perform the same for my traps in my room too
Thank you very much

OP
MengW

MengW

@MengW
A bit off-topic but I would really appreciate if you could please share how this simulation was done in Comsol
I would love to perform the same for my traps in my room too
Thank you very much
Hope to have more friends to do more interesting applications with Comsol.
There are some videos to teach you to use it step by step. You could search the key words comsol acoustic to find out.
The challenge is to find out the acoustic performance of some materials.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your results look like pretty much the same as the room mode plot at 110 Hz. Below is the screen shot of the output I did using @ylio's room mode simulator. Your plot looked very similar to this except it plotted the absolute magnitude in dB instead of Pa.

I've never used COMSOL's acoustics module, so I may not be able to provide much help. I strongly suspect you have used the wrong COMSOL "study". Room modes are computed using "eigenfrequency" study, and in-room response, I believe you need to use the "frequency domain" study. I also did not see any sound source. You'll need at least one sound source to simulate the room response (you don't need sound source for compute room modes). Also, what quantities were you plotting in the lower graph?

room_mode_110hz.png

comsol_acoustic.png

OP
MengW

MengW

Your results look like pretty much the same as the room mode plot at 110 Hz. Below is the screen shot of the output I did using @ylio's room mode simulator. Your plot looked very similar to this except it plotted the absolute magnitude in dB instead of Pa.

I've never used COMSOL's acoustics module, so I may not be able to provide much help. I strongly suspect you have used the wrong COMSOL "study". Room modes are computed using "eigenfrequency" study, and in-room response, I believe you need to use the "frequency domain" study. I also did not see any sound source. You'll need at least one sound source to simulate the room response (you don't need sound source for compute room modes). Also, what quantities were you plotting in the lower graph?

View attachment 275833

View attachment 275836
Thanks for your reply.

I setup two 1.2m height points. One is speaker source with Prms=0.00332W. The other is listening position to receive the frequency responce.

1680146129625.png

OP
MengW

MengW

View attachment 275833

View attachment 275836

From the result, it just start to work at 110Hz, and it's very useful at 280Hz.
1680146952168.png

1680147066982.png

1680147058524.png

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply.

I setup two 1.2m height points. One is speaker source with Prms=0.00332W. The other is listening position to receive the frequency responce.

View attachment 275851
Your results didn't show any sign of the source. You should be able to see high SPL next to the source. It is usually not a good idea to model a point source in discretized space such as in FEA. The source needs to spread out across a number of elements for the simulation to simulate it accurately.

OP
MengW

MengW

Your results didn't show any sign of the source. You should be able to see high SPL next to the source. It is usually not a good idea to model a point source in discretized space such as in FEA. The source needs to spread out across a number of elements for the simulation to simulate it accurately.
At some frequency, the source is easy to find out.
1680147380907.png

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Your last graph looks confusing. It seems as if one bass trap is worse than no basstraps. Did you mislabel the legends?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a trap which is 60cm thick you should use a material with lower flow resistivity. That will improve low frequency absorption, as the sound waves are able to pass further into the bass trap and be absorbed more gradually.

However, even with optimized density, corner traps will not have a big impact on your axial room modes. The pressure difference exists across two complete parallel surfaces. You need to cover more surface area, or use a multi-sub setup.

OP
MengW

MengW

Your last graph looks confusing. It seems as if one bass trap is worse than no basstraps. Did you mislabel the legends?
You are right!
I did check and fix it.
Thanks a lot.

OP
MengW

MengW

For a trap which is 60cm thick you should use a material with lower flow resistivity. That will improve low frequency absorption, as the sound waves are able to pass further into the bass trap and be absorbed more gradually.

However, even with optimized density, corner traps will not have a big impact on your axial room modes. The pressure difference exists across two complete parallel surfaces. You need to cover more surface area, or use a multi-sub setup.
Great!
From your reply, I remembered the relevant comments on this page.
-
I did test with flow resistivity 5000 and 3500 Pa·s/m².
截屏2023-03-30 20.42.16.png

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At some frequency, the source is easy to find out.
View attachment 275861
Ask yourself the question, are these results reasonable. If you are in this room, standing next to the sound source (or place a measurement mic next to the sound source if you think the presence of a human body may affect the sound field too much), will you detect sound from the source only at certain frequencies? Does your model resemble reality to the best of your understanding of reality?

OP
MengW

MengW

Ask yourself the question, are these results reasonable. If you are in this room, standing next to the sound source (or place a measurement mic next to the sound source if you think the presence of a human body may affect the sound field too much), will you detect sound from the source only at certain frequencies? Does your model resemble reality to the best of your understanding of reality?
There is the listening distance from sound source to the listenning position, right?

截屏2023-03-30 21.31.48.png

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you see any higher SPL near the source in the 3D density plot in the your first post?

index.php

OP
MengW

MengW

Do you see any higher SPL near the source in the 3D density plot in the your first post?

index.php
This blue image is SPL of surface.
-
If want to check the 3D spatial distribution, should find out from the image of Isosurface.
1680184435892.png

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I guess you already have your own answer to the question posed by the thread title, and it is "yes". I'm out

OP
MengW

MengW

OK, I guess you already have your own answer to the question posed by the thread title, and it is "yes". I'm out
Still thank you for your reply!
-
However, I still haven't found an answer.
-
I have no actual experience with similar bass traps, have not found out A/B comparison.
-
In my opinion, R=0.6 meter x 4 pcs,should at least handle with the 80Hz, but from this simulation results, it is only effective above 110Hz.
-
There is a little disappoint.
-
Is it normal?make sense?

Top Bottom