• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you remember your first DAC?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't remember the exact model (maybe the 5?) but my first DAC was an Arcam Delta Black Box looking something like this:

1506674292_4323.jpg

I bought it second hand in around 2002, with a Delta 250 transport.
My first DAC was the Black Box 3 (it had one more button than yours) which I bought in 1991, together with a Luxman drive which I got for half price because nobody wanted it. It came with a Luxman preamp with DAC included (probably one of the very first) which was already sold.

I still have it and did a few measurements. The BB3 has one of the first delta sigma converters if I remember correctly (have to look into the schematics). Anyone interested in measurements of vintage stuff like this?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Me too. I remember how disappointed I was realising how little different it sounded from the Marantz cd player I had.
Not here. The BB3 was much better than my Philips CD101 which sounded very grainy.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My first DAC was in a computer. I can't remember what make the PC was. It ran on DOS.

GTsmokeya84

Forum Donor
My first dac was a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus in black. I really enjoyed it and still use it, just not on my main system. At the time I paid 600 but now you can get it for 350. Surprised they make it.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first dac was a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus in black. I really enjoyed it and still use it, just not on my main system. At the time I paid 600 but now you can get it for 350. Surprised they make it.
I considered that unit - respectable specs in spite of it's age. However, I ended up ordering a Topping DX7s, which I consider a modern "upgrade" of the DAC Magic plus. (I wanted a DAC with balanced outputs and a volume control to eliminate the need for a preamp when using a pure power amplifier.)

SMc

CAL Audio
Yes, I had the Icon cd player and also the equivalent bargain dac. I actually tried the dac with the player despite the high likelihood they used the same underlying parts. Switch between the two one had a hum so I could tell them apart but not from musical content. After a few switches I couldn't distinguish the hum either despite "hearing" it. Interesting lesson.

SEKLEM

First separate DAC I had was the Meridian 203. That makes 3 of us, strange. Had the transport as well, which utilizes a philips swing arm mechanism in favor of linear tracking. I'm not sure if swing arm transport mechanisms are in any way superior to linear, but they sure are cool.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
First DAC (and ADC) - Lexicon PCM41 Digital Delay for the Band... 1982

1557175820531.png

Then I had thousands of 8-bit/8kHz µ-law DACs and ADCs - one for every subscriber line of the then-new Digital Telephone Central Offices I worked with from 1983.

1557177434636.png

8 DAC/ADC per line card.

1557177589372.png

First standalone home DAC in 2010 when I finally decided I had a need for one. I remember it. I'm looking at it.

1557177705459.png

1557177723106.png

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The first stand-alone DAC I owned is the Emotiva DC-1 that is still in my system today.
To be honest, it see's little use any more. The reality that my Marantz AV7703 re-samples everything thru it's internal AK4458 multich DAC's to some extent or another has definitely tempered my enthusiasm for it's sonic value. I used to keep things wired so that in just a minute or so, I could just plug the DC-1 out directly into my L&R speakers amp for a very minimalist "stereo" system. The sound of that was then tempered by the loss of my dual subwoofers and bass management.
So lately my stereo music library path has just been my server PC via HDMI to the Marantz, and then most often receiving some type of multich upsampling.
For shame on me. :facepalm::D

Top Bottom