• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you read the instructions?

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Over the years I have seen some of my most significant advances in audio quality for my systems just by reading the instructions and making the correct connection/configuration (that was wrong to start with).....

I don't know about you guys but I am a typical user who leaves the instructions in the box unless it just does not work....not ideal for someone who likes to eek out every possible improvement from a system hey.

Example 1 - Using the Toslink optical return from my TV for audio path before using the proper HDMI connection direct into my AVR. Immediately gave me a very noticable lift in audio quality.

Example 2 - Discovering (after not too long mind you), that my sub was not turning on as I had the "on" trigger set to low sensitivity.

I could go on....

So now I actually re-read the instructions for my kit to check if there is anything I have missed or anything that may have changed in my system that may need additional configuration or settings.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'll typically read the User Manual before buying something, if available, and pertinent.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I'll typically read the User Manual before buying something, if available, and pertinent.
I do that as well. I find the instructions fill in gaps around marketing and promo material and it is part of the excitement for me of getting new gear (and not having it yet). Of course, I promptly forget most of the detail!

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I won’t take the item out of the box until I have read the manual at least once and many times more than once. Depends on how many buttons and functions it has. But as a Navy Engineer you become accustomed to reading manuals and tech specs. Later in my career I wrote said tech specs, drawings and design bills of materiel.

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
I won’t take the item out of the box until I have read the manual at least once and many times more than once. Depends on how many buttons and functions it has. But as a Navy Engineer you become accustomed to reading manuals and tech specs. Later in my career I wrote said tech specs, drawings and design bills of materiel.

I am somewhat comforted in the knowledge that the personnel responsible for Naval weaponry systems have read (and comprehended) the instructions...:)

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Over the years I have seen some of my most significant advances in audio quality for my systems just by reading the instructions and making the correct connection/configuration (that was wrong to start with).....

I don't know about you guys but I am a typical user who leaves the instructions in the box unless it just does not work....not ideal for someone who likes to eek out every possible improvement from a system hey.

Example 1 - Using the Toslink optical return from my TV for audio path before using the proper HDMI connection direct into my AVR. Immediately gave me a very noticable lift in audio quality.

Example 2 - Discovering (after not too long mind you), that my sub was not turning on as I had the "on" trigger set to low sensitivity.

I could go on....

So now I actually re-read the instructions for my kit to check if there is anything I have missed or anything that may have changed in my system that may need additional configuration or settings.

Instructions?? What are those? It’s much more fun to try to guess how to make something work ;)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Yes. 9 out of 10 times.
New Truck Break In Period - What You Need to Know

Depends on how complicated the item. A desk fan? No. ;)

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
When all else fails, read the instructions.
The trap often though is that it does work.....just not as well as it could!

OP
Peluvius

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Yes. 9 out of 10 times.
New Truck Break In Period - What You Need to Know

Depends on how complicated the item. A desk fan? No. ;)

And then you must comprehend the item instructions in the context of what is often a wider system. One setting may be optimal in stand alone but when combined with XXXX the optimal setting is otherwise.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep I usually read the manual before purchase of anything audio. Just a better source of info than the advertisements/retail blurbs in general as well as answering specific connectivity questions/specs. Reading all those manuals helps answer newb questions quite a bit, too :)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can absolutely say yes and no.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I usually don't bother with the manual - unless it's for a specific thing I'm not familiar with. However I will Google stuff about my device before I read the manual.

Waxx

Major Contributor
It depends on what it is, sometimes i read it in advance (like many here it seems) to see if it can do what i want, sometimes i don't read it at all (if it's a simple thing).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am somewhat comforted in the knowledge that the personnel responsible for Naval weaponry systems have read (and comprehended) the instructions...

He only said he wrote the instructions. He never said he read what he wrote...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Humans make mistakes.

Schematic diagrams in service manuals are full of mistakes. I mean every brand. Usually they are so obvious you just look at the flaws and face palm (for them). Often you just say to yourself "WTF were you clowns thinking when you printed this?" Other times, you can spend hours trying to track down faults due to incorrect diagrams, schematics, layouts, component values or just plain screw ups.

Then you have blatant design errors made by so-called EEs. I mean chit that shouldn't have seen the light of day. But it happens.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I found out after ten years of hard use that my interface has ground lift buttons.
Do I need to answer?

Top Bottom