• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you have Tinnitis? (Ringing sound in your ears)

Do you have Tinnitis (Ringing in your ears)

• No

Votes: 37 14.2%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Frequently

Votes: 51 19.5%
  • Constantly

Votes: 114 43.7%

• Total voters

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder how many people can trace the origin of their tinnitus...

I can trace mine to the first 3 notes of a Nucleus concert in the Cayuga High School gym, back in the late 1960s.
It was so unbearably loud that I and half a dozen others went flying out the doors.

Following that ... months of high pitched squeal in both ears. It faded over time but it still comes back occasionally.

Probably Pendulum in Chicago, couldn't hear a damn thing after I left.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, it is NOT necessarily always genetic or the onset via some ear trauma?
[the loud sound that my espresso machine' steam wand makes worries me but not enough for headphones, yet.]
Is there such a thing as that "Mind-over-Matter (if you don't mind/it don't matter) thingy that deals partially with tinnitus in our processing unit?
Heck I am not even sure if the tones are generated (to begin with) by the brain... like asking the fox to mind the hen-house?
Oh never mind...
I think there are a few other ASR threads discussing tinnitus.

OP
D

Deleted member 46664

Is there such a thing as that "Mind-over-Matter (if you don't mind/it don't matter) thingy that deals partially with tinnitus in our processing unit?
Heck I am not even sure if the tones are generated (to begin with) by the brain... like asking the fox to mind the hen-house?

One audiologist told me that it's like your ears screaming in pain ... It apparently originates with damage to the Cochlea which is part of the inner ear.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I blame playing drums in a rock band, rehearsing in a very small bunker room with naked concrete walls, although I had no Tinnitus back then. It was horribly loud but I didn't care about my ears at that age (early 20ies) :facepalm: ... and now it's too late :(

bo_knows

For those trying to imagine tinnitus this tone generator is set to 9.5KHz and a low volume level. Adjust it to a very low level and then you can hear what people experience.
BINGO! Thank you for the link. Mine end up being much higher (14K range, I think). During the test, I notice that the tinnitus noise "interferes" with my ability to hear past 14.5K Also, what's weird, is that after the test, the tinnitus noise can be modulated if I'm slightly turning my head from side to side.
P.S. I think trying to find out what was the upper limit of my hearing (end up turning the volume almost all the way up on the computer and listening via Sennheiser HD660S) has aggravated tinnitus and now, 10 minutes later, noise is slowly going down.
I wish I read the warning on the site before I started testing my hearing. LOL.

Last edited:

Moderate Dionysianism

I voted 'Occasionally' - I notice it only in dead silent environments, concentrating hard, and usually right after waking up, not during the day.

I first thought I f***ed myself for life after I played suicide having watched some idiotic movie. I was ~10yrs old and shoot a plastic toy gun (luckily with no pellet in :)) into my right ear. I hadn't noticed they shoot in the temple, not the ear :facepalm: But the tinnitus went away after several days IIRC. Super scary though.

Then there was the Venetian Snares gig a few years ago, when I was close to nausea from the noise. Yet there were ppl with no hearing protection just dancing right next to the speakers... also a few days with ringing.

And then the Ciśnienie gig last year. The band is great, amplified jazz/post-rock fusion (lotsa distorted strings & guitars - check this track for example). But someone thought it was a good idea for them to play on the lower deck of a barge, essentially a tin can. It was super uncomfortable and the tinnitus lasted a week.

I wear hearing protection to most gigs, but had a lot of trouble with it, as to me most plugs attenuate waaay to much, killing the whole enjoyment. I tried musician plugs from Marshall, Thunderplugs and Alpine, among others - all too 'strong'. I recently bought the Rooth plugs from Drop (the 9dB version), and this is finally something I can recomend. I wonder if there are even lower grades available, like 6dB for instance. Couldn't find anything like that, recommendations welcome:)

pagan84

Damaged my left ear over 2 years ago, now it is almost fixed. Very quiet high tone still noticeable though.
I took a long break from headphones, over 1.5y.

Forum Donor
Well, thats weird. followed the tone generator link and it kicks in at 120hz. thats what i hear when its quiet. anyone else has 'low' tinnitus?

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
I attempted detecting the tinnitus while listening to white noise from here and here. I never noticed the ringing at all while the white noise was audible.
I used your first LINK and didn't seem to help my tinnitus at all...until I started to read the comments. And just like that-no more ringing in my ears, just the sound of me laughing out loud!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
'Sounds' like cochlea-bound tuning forks are in working order... but in reverse :oops: a receiver gets a polarity reversal and becomes a damn transmitter?
I am sooooo lucky, I never got it; because I did "all" the things that have been posted for the onset of tinnitus.
I even rode motorcycles for five decades but always with earplugs, although they are banned in California (unless RX'd).:mad:

woofersus

Audio Company
If you are suffering from tinnitus occasionally/frequently then get your thyroid checked by getting blood tests such as TSH, T3 and T4.

Tinnitus can be caused by both hyperthyroidism and Hypothyroidism. It is a common disorder due to your thyroid gland producing too much thyroid hormone or too little.
Excellent suggestion. I had very mild tinnitus since I was a teenager even though I was always pretty careful with my ears owing to they were pretty sensitive to loud noises for as long as I can remember. It was pretty mild such that I had to be in a basically silent room in order to notice it. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and now on medication it's very nearly gone. I say very nearly gone because I'm also on a medication (loop diuretic) that can cause tinnitus. It still only shows up once in a while. If you're taking one of those and have a lot of ringing, talk to your doctor about maybe a lower dose. Opioid painkillers can also affect your hearing. I'm sure there are more.

OP
D

Deleted member 46664

Wow ... so far 83% of those who voted are reporting tinitis. Almost half are reporting that it's continuous.

I sure didn't expect that.

ta240

Major Contributor
I wonder how many people can trace the origin of their tinnitus...
Sometimes tinnitus is induced "mechanically", by stiffened neck muscles.
Several years ago; when I was rear ended at a stoplight I had it for some time after that as my neck healed.

Then, controversially, after a couple injections in the last few years I had it really bad for a 3 weeks and less bad for about another 3 weeks after each one. After those I had a few times it was bad enough it would keep me awake at night. For about 2 weeks each of those times I simply couldn't listen to any music at all because the tinnitus would overtake the music every time. Two doctors scoffed at me when I complained about it after the first shot and so after it faded to being minor, I figured they must be right and it wasn't connected... I didn't even bother with seeing a doctor the second time. This seemed to help short bits of time.

Top Bottom