• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you have Tinnitis? (Ringing sound in your ears)

Do you have Tinnitis (Ringing in your ears)

• No

Votes: 37 14.2%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Frequently

Votes: 51 19.5%
  • Constantly

Votes: 114 43.7%

• Total voters

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I have it. It's not very loud and most of the time I'm not aware of it. It's high-pitched and multi-frequency and it's in both ears (or more-likely in my brain so I think it's in both ears). But not super-high pitch and I haven't tried to figure that out. Oh... I think occasionally one ear will ring for a few seconds and then fade-down , "for no reason".

An "overdose" of aspirin makes it worse and I think overly-loud sound makes it temporarily worse (noticeable after the loud sound goes-away).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was searching for some tinnitus-for-idiots facts about demographics/penetration in the US and came across two factoids that are worth citing [imo]:
1)In general, there are two types of tinnitus:
*Subjective - Head/ear noises perceivable only to the specific patient.
*Objective - Head/ear noises audible to others and patient (1% of cases)

From <https://www.ata.org/understanding-facts>
Which led me to this great simplified (2minute) yet quite explanatory yt video about "Journey of Sound to the Brain"
From <
>

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes.
I made the mistake of staying at home (small one-room apartment) when they did some construction on the outside of the house. The jackhammers were super loud and created vibrations strong enough that I feared for my hard drives and shut down my computer.
I did wear ear plugs but apparently that was not enough, considering the exposure time.

It's a pulsating sound roughly at 60Hz.
Normally relatively quiet but can get obnoxiously loud when I am tired, stressed out or sick.
It can also get triggered when I hear the corresponding frequency from loudspeakers.

It sucks.... take care of your hearing. You only got one chance. >.<

Digby

Major Contributor
^ not to sound sarcastic, are you sure that isn't just the sound of your heartbeat in your ears?

BTW when does tinnitus become tinnitus. If you go in an anechoic chamber you will hear noises inside your head, I suppose some noises are normal, so how do they set the threshold for tinnitus?

OP
D

Deleted member 46664

^ not to sound sarcastic, are you sure that isn't just the sound of your heartbeat in your ears?

BTW when does tinnitus become tinnitus. If you go in an anechoic chamber you will hear noises inside your head, I suppose some noises are normal, so how do they set the threshold for tinnitus?

From the Wikipedia page...
"One definition of tinnitus, as compared to normal ear noise experience, is lasting five minutes at least twice a week.[55] However, people with tinnitus often experience the noise more frequently than this. Tinnitus can be present constantly or intermittently. Some people with constant tinnitus might not be aware of it all the time, but only for example during the night when there is less environmental noise to mask it. Chronic tinnitus can be defined as tinnitus with duration of six months or more.[56]"

ta240

Major Contributor

The pulsing or whooshing tinnitus often is your pulse. From WebMD:
"If you have a thumping or whooshing sound in one or both ears that seems to follow a steady beat, you may have this rare form of tinnitus. Like regular tinnitus, you hear a constant sound that others don’t. But with the pulsatile form of this condition, the noise comes from inside your body. Your doctor may be able to hear it, too, if they listen with a stethoscope. It’s also called rhythmic, vascular, or pulse-synchronous tinnitus."
Unlike with regular tinnitus, doctors often can pinpoint a specific health problem behind this type:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just started about a month ago. Constant high pitched ringing. Can't seem to make it go away.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Subjective/Objective tinnitus makes sense but I guess there is also what is called "bilateral tinnitus", which supposed to affect (infect?) BOTH ears!
Gawd, but possibly genetic (w/male twins?).

RobL

I have it and know exactly where it originated. Went to a “Chicago” cover band with my wife and friends. Sound was WAY too loud. I actually brought ear plugs but gave them to my wife as she was in obvious discomfort and hadn’t brought any. In retrospect, we should have just left but they were actually very good. Tinnitus began a week later and has never stopped. That was 10 years ago. High pitched whine in both ears though I don’t notice it unless ambient noise is low. It becomes worse if I’m tired or stressed.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Both ears, high pitched whine @10kHz.

Both of my brothers have it as well, with the same description. We all started enjoying it around turning 30.

Aerith Gainsborough

I can differentiate the two quite easily. Medical personnel confirmed that it was a noise related trauma.
It is difficult to describe an intermittent, patterned sound, perhaps pulsating was not the right choice of words.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes - constant right ear courtesy of Motorhead 1982 - Leicester Demontfort Hall. :facepalm:.

It can resonate/trigger with certain frequencies of music - I've not investigated which.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

60Hz would be a hell of a heart rate. :D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For those trying to imagine tinnitus this tone generator is set to 9.5KHz and a low volume level. Adjust it to a very low level and then you can hear what people experience.
OK - using that - mine is around 4600Hz. Interestingly when I play a tone at around that frequency then stop it, the tinnitus turns to a quieter hiss for a short while.

EDIT Or maybe around 5200Hz - seems to be trick to compare the frequency

Or 6000`Hz - hell, I don't know. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

WDeranged

I've had it (high pitched whine) for many years. Though I only truly realised about 8 years ago. At first it's hell, cos you're focussing on it. Some nights it would grow to fill my entire range of hearing. So incredibly loud.

The best advice I can give to someone with mild to moderate tinnitus is to have something in the room that masks the sound. A fan, tv, radio, anything. Some nights I'd lie there scratching the mattress with my nails just to give my brain something else to latch on to.

After a couple of years I stopped needing the distractions so much and eventually I even started to forget I have tinnitus. Until I remember...

Best not to think about it o_O

mmi

I wonder how many people can trace the origin of their tinnitus...

I can trace mine to the first 3 notes of a Nucleus concert in the Cayuga High School gym, back in the late 1960s.
It was so unbearably loud that I and half a dozen others went flying out the doors.

Following that ... months of high pitched squeal in both ears. It faded over time but it still comes back occasionally.
Dj Craze at the Metro Theatre in Sydney Australia, circa early 2000s. He used to do a turntablism set for the first half of the show, and then would pivot into drum and bass. When the DnB dropped it was waaaaay tooo loud! My ears popped and I went to the bathrooms to get toilet paper to stuff in them but it was too late.

When I am extra tired or have been lying down not moving enough the ring is quite audible, but otherwise during the day I don’t notice it at all.

Top Bottom