• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you have enough hair in your ears? Grow some more! (Re: Hearing Loss)

How do you get tested for tinnitus, I have a constant ringing when things are quiet but recently have also developed pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear, I hope the later isnt related to a sudden case of alopecia

Sergei

Forum Donor
How do you get tested for tinnitus, I have a constant ringing when things are quiet but recently have also developed pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear, I hope the later isnt related to a sudden case of alopecia

Sorry to say this, yet any persistent pulsating audio sensation calls for a prompt visit to an audiologist.

Hearing system is a sophisticated bundle of mechanical parts, blood vessels, specialized cells, and nerves.

Pulsating sensation may stem from various conditions. Some of them may take care of themselves in a couple of weeks. Others may require professional intervention.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry to say this, yet any persistent pulsating audio sensation calls for a prompt visit to an audiologist.

Hearing system is a sophisticated bundle of mechanical parts, blood vessels, specialized cells, and nerves.

Pulsating sensation may stem from various conditions. Some of them may take care of themselves in a couple of weeks. Others may require professional intervention.

@socksrolleddown My friend is obtaining facial physiotherapy for low frequency pulsation right now. ENT diagnosed it as "mandibular issues with the jaw"

jfetter

Forum Donor
Maybe try a diy CRISPR kit, bovine donor would be my choice.

wp_ss_20191218_0003 (2).png

jfetter

Forum Donor
I'm not greedy, will settle for 23hz to 35khz... has a nice ring to it.
I checked ebay, not much except books.
Most labs use mice for audio CRISPR experiments. I guess there are no cookie-cutter cows available.
I'm thinking use a bull donor, killing two birds with one arrow.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
Maybe try a diy CRISPR kit, bovine donor would be my choice.

View attachment 42953
Makes me wonder what evolutionary benefits are associated with hearing these high frequencies. Given that we are the youngest species, there must have been a time when living land based creatures needed to hear these. Why do we not need to hear those high frequencies any more? I can understand that a mouse does not want to hear all these ground-roll frequencies and hence starts at 1000hz. But what would be the argument for humans clipping at 20khz while the rest of the living world around us goes easily to 40khz?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The hearing loss is not only the loss of hair. It's the physical structure of cochlear being loosen and the volume become larger. This is the reason why people who developed perfect pitch will have their pitch off by half of a note when they are 50 yo. That's a lot of frequency shift.
At the end of the day, we may just get a hi-fi artificial cochlear and call it a day lol.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Makes me wonder what evolutionary benefits are associated with hearing these high frequencies. ...
One aspect to this is that from an evolutionary perspective, it's irrelevant how long animals live after their age of peak fertility. Perhaps there was some evolutionary advantage to hearing above 15 kHz and when people reached their 30s they lost this advantage and the survival benefits it conveyed, but it didn't matter because they had already passed on their genes to the next generation.

MRC01

Major Contributor
But what about the low end of the spectrum? From what I read, we humans are among the best in low frequency hearing, and this does not deteriorate with age.
I speculate this may be correlated to being bipeds. Quadrapeds are probably better at picking up low frequencies through the Earth, in which case they don't need to hear them.
BTW, the above chart is not accurate for humans. It puts the lower limit for humans at 64 Hz, but most people can hear much lower. The oft-quoted "20 Hz to 20 kHz" is only a rough approximation. A more accurate population sample would be something like 17 Hz to 15 kHz.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When bushes started to grow, the eye received a sensitivity for green, before it was only blue (water and sky) and red (dessert). The human audible range has a meaning....
Uh, that’s not what happened. Sorry to get all science-y on you. Look it up.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I wonder if other animals perceive frequency logarithmically like we humans do. It would depend on how similar is the internal structure of their ears.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I wonder if other animals perceive frequency logarithmically like we humans do. It would depend on how similar is the internal structure of their ears.
The inner ear structures are remarkably similar among land animals.

MarcT

Forum Donor
65 years old here; I just took an online hearing test. With headphones and moderate volume on the computer, I heard the tone up to around 9kHz. If I turn the volume up I can hear it faintly at 12kHz. Through the laptop speakers, I could hear it faintly up to 12.3kHz with it turned up. Not bad, I guess, for an old man.

What was weird was that as the frequency of the tone swept upwards, my ability to hear the apparent volume of the tone varied between the left and right ears. I guess I have different degrees of hearing loss in my ears at different frequencies.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
65 years old here; I just took an online hearing test. With headphones and moderate volume on the computer, I heard the tone up to around 9kHz. If I turn the volume up I can hear it faintly at 12kHz. Through the laptop speakers, I could hear it faintly up to 12.3kHz with it turned up. Not bad, I guess, for an old man.

What was weird was that as the frequency of the tone swept upwards, my ability to hear the apparent volume of the tone varied between the left and right ears. I guess I have different degrees of hearing loss in my ears at different frequencies.
Marc,
I experienced the same. I even could hear 12 khz better than 8 kHz in some cases. It may have to do with the high directionality of these high frequencies. You could try with something like 11.8 to 12.2 kHz in 500 hz steps and check if that phenomena repeats. Others suggested narrow-bandwidth noise. I noticed that my children do not experience that, and conclude that it may have to do with the aging process of the ear.

Top Bottom