• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you have enough hair in your ears? Grow some more! (Re: Hearing Loss)

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MarcT

Forum Donor
You know, biotin is taken by many to promote hair growth and thicker hair. I did take biotin for some time last year, and it did seem to noticeably thicken my beard. I've never been able to grow any manner of decent looking beard, but I actually thought it might be possible after taking the biotin for a while. I wonder if it would affect these hairs as well.

davidc

Forum Donor
I live near the Torrance location and just sent them an email to see if they need anymore subjects.

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Tested my hearing on line - I can kinda hear 12khz - I think ;) Oh well I turn 63 this October, makes sense I suppose...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
use of progenitor cells could have side-effects, like suddenly finding a bunch of lobster claws crawling thru your oval window

egellings

Major Contributor
I'm 72 and have pretty loud tinnitus from my year as a draftee in Viet Nam shooting 8" howitzers and 175mm guns. I don't think there's much anyone can do about it. I have a stereo setup but don't much listen to it, since I don't get much out of it.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
I'm 72 and have pretty loud tinnitus from my year as a draftee in Viet Nam shooting 8" howitzers and 175mm guns. I don't think there's much anyone can do about it. I have a stereo setup but don't much listen to it, since I don't get much out of it.
Get REW and boost 2 to 4 kHz, do not bother above 8 KHz.

gorman

Get REW and boost 2 to 4 kHz, do not bother above 8 KHz.
And why would he need REW to eq frequencies he already knows he wants to boost? Am I missing something? REW is used to calculate an EQ profile, not to EQ the sound. You use other tools to EQ using the calculations from REW. Am I wrong?

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
I would first establish a baseline, hence do a proper room correction. I would avoid boosting frequencies of a system where I do no know the overall frequency response.
So I would first do a REW Room correction with a default house curve. Then I would manipulate that house curve to correct for hearing problems. My will guess for eggelings would be an increase in the 2-4 kHz region, that makes an huge impact and most system will allow plus 10 dB there. Up to 8 kHz might need 20+ dB which is doable, above that common speakers and amps will not allow for the needed gain of 40 dB or more ( the industry could care for those needs....).
Doing it via the house curve in REW makes sure that hearing correction and room correction are nicely convoluted and supplement each other. Doing it with Dirac will probably create even better filters but will not allow wild gains as Dirac limits those (they could think about a “hearing EQ” edition...)
I would also use REW to check the hearing capability for that particular setup with sine curves and a mic. And then “somehow” correct these hearing threshold measurement for a 75dB listening level. I believe that is more audiophile than relying a hearing aid.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I've been reading a lot recently about tinnitus being more related to the brain "turning the volume up" on certain frequencies to compensate for hearing loss at those frequencies - but doing so too much. I have tinnitus, but I can still hear and enjoy music just fine ftmp. My hearing tops out at about 14khz (I'm 53), but music that I've been listening to since my teen years that sounded "airy" back then still sounds that way to me today. I still hear lots of the high end "tinkly" bits in songs, lol. I would love to be rid of the tinnitus though because it can get annoying when there isn't any ambient noise to kind of drown it out.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm 61, have hearing loss in my right ear from some idiot firing a .44 magnum over my right shoulder when I was in my early 20's and have tinnitus. I hear a fairly constant 9,000 Hz tone that randomly gets louder and quieter. I cannot hear anything above 14,000 Hz or so. However, I still enjoy my stereo and headphones immensely.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
I'm 61, have hearing loss in my right ear from some idiot firing a .44 magnum over my right shoulder when I was in my early 20's and have tinnitus. I hear a fairly constant 9,000 Hz tone that randomly gets louder and quieter. I cannot hear anything above 14,000 Hz or so. However, I still enjoy my stereo and headphones immensely.
Check the 4 to 8 kHz range too. That is the range of age related hearing loss and it adds to the Tinitus over the years... I thought I had what you had (from a G3), but I saw that there is more coming....

Top Bottom