• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you have an annual, mandatory, car/vehicle inspection in your country/state?

Do you have an annual, mandatory, car/vehicle inspection in your country?

• Yes

Votes: 40 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get that, thanks for explanation. In Australia you add other names on the insurance contract or at least a secondary driver without a name with a higher insurance premium with according excess payment depending on who drives but it seems in Britain your absolutely not allowed to drive another car if your not insured under it.
In Britain you can only drive a car you are insured to drive. My insurance is for me only driving, anyone else is uninsured on my policy. I am however insured to drive anyone else's car with their permission but for third-party risks only, i.e. any damage to the car I'm driving isn't covered.

I can take out 'any driver' or 'any driver over 25' policies, at higher cost, but as I'm the only driver, (my wife won't drive my car) it's not worth paying extra. On my wife's car, we have two named drivers on the policy so either of us can drive.

S

Willem

Major Contributor
o heavy EV's are not only not paying gasoline tax to keep the road up they are also causing lot
So heavy EV's are not only not paying gasoline tax to keep the road up they are also causing lots more wear than gasoline cars of similar size.
The Dutch government is planning to introduce an electronic charging system to charge you per mile, precisely because the current system of taxing driving through a tax on the fuel will soon be no longer viable, given the rapidly increasing number of EVs on our roads.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am certainly not going to pass the inspection with the current installation of racing parts and the associated ECU software modifications I have been enjoying
This is precisely why tests are a good idea: why not enforce legislation?

Willem

Major Contributor
Personally, I think unstudded winter tires are useless to have in the winter.It should be studded tires.
This of course depends on the kind of winter you have. Here in the Netherlands winter tyres make a real difference and studded tyres would make no sense. I even use car type winter tyres (Continetal Topcontact Winter ii) on my bicycles, and to great effect.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This of course depends on the kind of winter you have. Here in the Netherlands winter tyres make a real difference and studded tyres would make no sense. I even use car type winter tyres (Continetal Topcontact Winter ii) on my bicycles, and to great effect.
I agree - in Switzerland they are pretty good at cleaning the roads, but of course summer tires are useless in the winter, as they have no grip in low temperatures. My insurance won't cover accidents that happen if the temperature is under 7 degrees Celsius and I don't have winter tires.

raindance

Major Contributor
Been watching British television since Season 6 "The Bill" and recently been enjoying watching reality cop shows. I see young kids getting fined and cars impounded for driving their parents car. Is it illegal to drive another persons car if its not insured under your name?
When I lived in the UK and my parents visited, I would have to add them to my insurance for the couple of weeks they were visiting so that they could legally drive my car. It was quite expensive because they were foreign with no UK licenses. It's weird, because in the USA you insure the CAR, in the UK you insure the DRIVER.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I am certainly not going to pass the inspection with the current installation of racing parts and the associated ECU software modifications I have been enjoying.

In Maryland, there is a $450 cap on how much you are required to put into the emissions control systems towards passing. If it still doesn't pass, you are good to go. Not sure how it is there, but you might be able to include the costs of a major tune-up, etc.

Might be worth a look.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Texas: Annual inspection (emissions + safety). Results are transmitted electronically from the (licensed) private shop that does the inspection to the DPS. You need a "pass" in order to renew your Registration and receive your annual registration sticker.

Yes, the back-office automation linked to registration is now fairly common. Virginia works the same way, particularly with emission inspections.

Texas uses anti-plate-theft window stickers that have the plate number on it in large glyphs. That hoped to slow down the very high car-theft rate there. That problem is severe enough that car insurance comprehensive coverage is a fraction in Virginia of what it is in Texas. I think it must be proximity to the border.

Rick “registration stickers on windows no longer required in Virginia” Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many US states require proof of financial responsibility to register a vehicle. Insurance is the main mechanism for that proof, but some states allow large bonds. Personally, I don’t drive without at least $300,000 in liability coverage for the other person’s vehicle. Too many exotic cars around here.

In the US, insurance covers the vehicle, but usually follows the driver to other vehicles.

But some states have no-fault insurance, which has different rules.

Rick “like most things, handled at the state level in the US” Denney

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Texas: Annual inspection (emissions + safety). Results are transmitted electronically from the (licensed) private shop that does the inspection to the DPS. You need a "pass" in order to renew your Registration and receive your annual registration sticker.
All true but with one caveat:
  • Annual safety inspections are required for all drivers in the state.
  • Emissions tests are only necessary in 17 counties (Texas has 254 counties), and motorcycles + diesel-powered vehicles are exempted from emissions testing.
    • It is only highly populated cities/counties (with the exception of San Antonio) that mandate emissions testing, and all the rural counties do not.

source: https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/VI/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree - in Switzerland they are pretty good at cleaning the roads, but of course summer tires are useless in the winter, as they have no grip in low temperatures. My insurance won't cover accidents that happen if the temperature is under 7 degrees Celsius and I don't have winter tires.
Mind you that this 7° C rule was a rather an outdated marketing story from the tyre industry https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/eiskalter-schwindel-a-1f8b601f-0002-0001-0000-000042736577

Here in Germany the law requires just to have "for the road conditions suitable tires" meaning it is legal to drive on a dry very cold winter days also without M+S tires.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There were emission tests in Illinois when I left 12 years ago, don't know about now.
Nothing here in Florida
They're more about a cult of money makers.
In South Carolina the inspection system had turned into some kind of mechanics mafia to make money off of the people. So the government shut it down some years ago.

Top Bottom