• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you have an annual, mandatory, car/vehicle inspection in your country/state?

Do you have an annual, mandatory, car/vehicle inspection in your country?

• Yes

Votes: 40 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speaking of tires and safety. Since 1975 in Sweden, mandatory for those who take a driver's license to conduct a slip test, the so-called Risk Test 2.

12:00 into the Video, it is tested in practice:

Is Halkbana mandatory? ( slip track test)
Risk 2 is a mandatory element that you must pass in order to obtain a driving license. The purpose of risk training 2 is for you to learn more about how to best handle serious and dangerous situations, when you lose control of your car.

Speaking of road conditions, grip and tires:

Winter and summer tires
Between 1 December and 31 March, it is the law
(you must use such) to use winter tires if it is winter road law. It is forbidden to use studded tires during the period 16 April - 30 September if it is not or is expected to be winter road law.

Personally, I think unstudded winter tires are useless to have in the winter.It should be studded tires.

Size1000.jpeg

The studs provide better grip. .... and with larger studs so ...:D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of tires and safety. Since 1975 in Sweden, mandatory for those who take a driver's license to conduct a slip test, the so-called Risk Test 2.

Risk 2 is a mandatory element that you must pass in order to obtain a driving license. The purpose of risk training 2 is for you to learn more about how to best handle serious and dangerous situations, when you lose control of your car.

Winter and summer tires
(you must use such) to use winter tires if it is winter road law. It is forbidden to use studded tires during the period 16 April - 30 September if it is not or is expected to be winter road law.

Personally, I think unstudded winter tires are useless to have in the winter.It should be studded tires.

View attachment 217887

I agree on the studded tires. I drove 120 miles per weekday round trip in the mountain valleys of British Columbia when I attended a technical drafting study in my late teens and I was passing cars over the middle rough snowy part of the road at ~100 kmh (62 mph) while they where slipping all over. I bought the meanest looking winter tires that I could find and had them studded. Studs work great!

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I agree on the studded tires. I drove 120 miles per weekday round trip in the mountain valleys of British Columbia when I attended a technical drafting study in my late teens and I was passing cars over the middle rough snowy part of the road at ~100 kmh (62 mph) while they where slipping all over. I bought the meanest looking winter tires that I could find and had them studded. Studs work great!
Absolutely studded tires!

BUT the problem with studded tires is that it wears hard on the roads. So there are pros and cons.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely studded tires!

BUT the problem with studded tires is that it wears hard on the roads. So there are pros and cons.
The heavy trucks cause way more wear and tear on the roads here. Big dips in the roads all over. Sometimes it gets pretty harsh riding in the ruts and especially crossing them @ 90 degrees can really show off bad car shock absorbers. It can be dangerous it gets that bad.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Texas: Annual inspection (emissions + safety). Results are transmitted electronically from the (licensed) private shop that does the inspection to the DPS. You need a "pass" in order to renew your Registration and receive your annual registration sticker.

Trdat

Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure they can do that in the UK unless the car is parked on private land. If it's on a public road, it has to be fully roadworthy, taxed and insured, with a valid MOT test.
Been watching British television since Season 6 "The Bill" and recently been enjoying watching reality cop shows. I see young kids getting fined and cars impounded for driving their parents car. Is it illegal to drive another persons car if its not insured under your name?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Been watching British television since Season 6 "The Bill" and recently been enjoying watching reality cop shows. I see young kids getting fined and cars impounded for driving their parents car. Is it illegal to drive another persons car if its not insured under your name?
I know that in Sweden, insurance investigators have done this. The person who owns a car is the person who is mainly the one who will drive it, but for young people it can be expensive with insurance. Especially slightly older cars with turbo. Saab turbo had many young people but the car was written on, for example, their mother. The mother was the owner, her children drove with the car. Something she herself never did. Well, if an accident happened. The youth had an accident and the car needed to be repaired. An accident and repair that is normally covered by the insurance. The insurance investigator calls the owner of the car, the mother, and asks:
-It's your car and it's you who usually, mainly drives it, about X miles per year you have stated, is that correct?
-Mother, yes that's right
-Okay, I have a question. On that car model where is the ignition switch, car key?

saab900-37.jpg

..... insurance fraud ...

Nop, it's not about me. The story above.:)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The heavy trucks cause way more wear and tear on the roads here. Big dips in the roads all over. Sometimes it gets pretty harsh riding in the ruts and especially crossing them @ 90 degrees can really show off bad car shock absorbers. It can be dangerous it gets that bad.
I've read where damage to roadways is related to weight by a 4th power function. So wear/damage is 16 times more for double the weight. In this case weight per axle or weight per tire.

So heavy EV's are not only not paying gasoline tax to keep the road up they are also causing lots more wear than gasoline cars of similar size.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know that in Sweden, insurance investigators have done this. The person who owns a car is the person who is mainly the one who will drive it, but for young people it can be expensive with insurance. Especially slightly older cars with turbo. Saab turbo had many young people but the car was written on, for example, their mother. The mother was the owner, her children drove with the car. Something she herself never did. Well, if an accident happened. The youth had an accident and the car needed to be repaired. An accident and repair that is normally covered by the insurance. The insurance investigator calls the owner of the car, the mother, and asks:
-It's your car and it's you who usually, mainly drives it, about X miles per year you have stated, is that correct?
-Okay, I have a question. On that car model where is the ignition switch, car key?

View attachment 217890

Usually in Canada if full coverage insurance is purchased then anybody may drive the car. If a basic pink slip is purchased then the owner is responsible for anything and must be the principle driver.

Chrise36

Major Contributor

Winter and summer tires

View attachment 217887

That is why great rally drivers come from the North!

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I've read where damage to roadways is related to weight by a 4th power function. So wear/damage is 16 times more for double the weight. In this case weight per axle or weight per tire.

So heavy EV's are not only paying gasoline tax to keep the road up they are also causing lots more wear than gasoline cars of similar size.
That's right Mercedes is producing a 1.3 liter GLB class to avoid tax which is rediculous for a 40000 euro car. EV s should pay taxes according to price not only co2 emissions.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My insurance covers me if I borrow someone's car with their permission. It also covers someone if they borrow my car with my permission. Maybe that isn't true for drivers under 25 I'm not sure. Also I have a different policy for a collector car which does not do this. It only covers the car with me driving it.

symphara

Why annual? We have the test in Switzerland but it's like every 4 years in my canton.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's right Mercedes is producing a 1.3 liter GLB class to avoid tax which is rediculous for a 40000 euro car. EV s should pay taxes according to price not only co2 emissions.
Some taxes by price already apply here, but in the USA highways are funded mostly by gasoline taxes. EVs aren't paying those. Plus EVs weight is worse for the roads so they should pay extra clearly, but as of now that isn't settled as to how it will be done. Most places now nothing is done.

Gasoline taxes partly compensate as normally larger vehicles use more fuel. But the compensation isn't really enough either. So small car drivers are subsidizing people who own much larger and more expensive vehicles.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Usually in Canada if full coverage insurance is purchased then anybody may drive the car. If a basic pink slip is purchased then the owner is responsible for anything and must be the principle driver.
Usually the same in Sweden with one exception. Some insurance companies offer an option , alternatives may be available when choosing insurance:

Can I drive my parents' car?
Yes, of course you can! If you live at home and you have your parents' permission to borrow their car. But then make sure that your parents have indicated to their insurance company that someone under the age of 25 may drive the car (if you are under the age of 25). To avoid problems with the insurance company in the event of an accident.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some taxes by price already apply here, but in the USA highways are funded mostly by gasoline taxes. EVs aren't paying those. Plus EVs weight is worse for the roads so they should pay extra clearly, but as of now that isn't settled as to how it will be done. Most places now nothing is done.
RightO. It will be interesting to see the compensatory measures that will be adopted to fund the highways. Right now it's a free ride.

symphara

I don't quite understand the resistance. Your car needs a serious annual service in any case, and this can simply be part of that.
Not quite - Porsche service interval is generally 2 years, minor/major.

Perhaps these new EVs also have longer service intervals.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not quite - Porsche service interval is generally 2 years, minor/major.

Perhaps these new EVs also have longer service intervals.
Also the safety problem are not the young cars which are usually regularly inspected according to manufacturer specs (also for warranty reasons) and anyway usually do not have large safety related flaws like worn brakes, tires and suspension parts or significant corrosion but older cars which aren't, some people just do an oil change if at all.

Trdat

Forum Donor

View attachment 217890

I get that, thanks for explanation. In Australia you add other names on the insurance contract or at least a secondary driver without a name with a higher insurance premium with according excess payment depending on who drives but it seems in Britain your absolutely not allowed to drive another car if your not insured under it.

Top Bottom