• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you have an annual, mandatory, car/vehicle inspection in your country/state?

Do you have an annual, mandatory, car/vehicle inspection in your country?

• Yes

Votes: 40 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
In Sweden, you have to hand in the car for a car inspection, once a year. It is not covered, does not need to be done, for new cars.What is mainly checked is that the brakes are in good condition, but also other things that have to do with safety and the environment, exhaust emission levels.

If you do not carry out this inspection, you will be banned from driving for the car in question.

These will be the remarks at the inspection:
*Without remark. Just drive for another year.
* Note, something you are responsible for fixing.
* Note with re-inspection within one month
* Direct driving ban.

Slightly different rules, in different countries I now see:

Vehicle inspection is a procedure mandated by national or subnational governments in many countries, in which a vehicle is inspected to ensure that it conforms to regulations governing safety, emissions, or both. Inspection can be required at various times, e.g., periodically or on transfer of title to a vehicle. If required periodically, it is often termed periodic motor vehicle inspection; typical intervals are every two years and every year.

Attached photos, I at the car inspection a little over an hour ago. The parking brake only took on one side. Re-inspection within one month. Booked time with the car mechanic fixed now. They, the car mechanics, can "switch off" the inspection by getting the handbrake ready.:)

The inspector also discovered that the fuel filter under the car, the casing was really rusty. The roads are salted in Sweden in the winter. You can figure out for yourself what it can do regarding rust. That in itself, the fuel filter, I got no remark on. But I take the opportunity to change it in connection with the car mechanic fixing the handbrake.:)

Attachments

• IMG_20220711_091701.jpg
    IMG_20220711_091701.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20220711_092146.jpg
    IMG_20220711_092146.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Nah... we used to many may years ago, however now it is outsourced to registered mechanics. They need to give a "pink slip" after inspection, which they register with the roads authority online. If there are any questions or issues (like an accident with bald tyres) regarding the road-worthiness of the vehicle, the mechanic can lose their license... so most mechanics are quite careful. Seems to work well and negates needing to wait for the roads authority to inspect the car (which used to be a long delay most of the time). Cars that are 5 years or less old don't need to do this however, otherwise it's every time you register the car, generally every 12 months.

JSmith

Vacceo

Major Contributor
In Sweden, you have to hand in the car for a car inspection, once a year. It is not covered, does not need to be done, for new cars.What is mainly checked is that the brakes are in good condition, but also other things that have to do with safety and the environment, exhaust emission levels.

If you do not carry out this inspection, you will be banned from driving for the car in question.

These will be the remarks at the inspection:
*Without remark. Just drive for another year.
* Note, something you are responsible for fixing.
* Note with re-inspection within one month
* Direct driving ban.

Slightly different rules, in different countries I now see:

Vehicle inspection is a procedure mandated by national or subnational governments in many countries, in which a vehicle is inspected to ensure that it conforms to regulations governing safety, emissions, or both. Inspection can be required at various times, e.g., periodically or on transfer of title to a vehicle. If required periodically, it is often termed periodic motor vehicle inspection; typical intervals are every two years and every year.

Attached photos, I at the car inspection a little over an hour ago. The parking brake only took on one side. Re-inspection within one month. Booked time with the car mechanic fixed now. They, the car mechanics, can "switch off" the inspection by getting the handbrake ready.:)

The inspector also discovered that the fuel filter under the car, the casing was really rusty. The roads are salted in Sweden in the winter. You can figure out for yourself what it can do regarding rust. That in itself, the fuel filter, I got no remark on. But I take the opportunity to change it in connection with the car mechanic fixing the handbrake.:)
I think that the inspection, one way or another, is common for every EU country. Mine is due in January.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
In the UK, once a car is over three years old, it needs to pass an annual inspection commonly referred to as an MOT (Ministry of Transport).

It's quite a comprehensive check: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-checklist-vt-29 and for someone like me, that doesn't often have a car, but when I do, it's typically cheap and old, it's reassuring to know that the wheels probably won't fall off and the brakes should work. :)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think that the inspection, one way or another, is common for every EU country. Mine is due in January.
Yep:

Europe
The European Union Council directive 96/96/EC of 20 December 1996 mandates all its member states to carry out periodic safety and emission inspections for most types of motor vehicles. It also sets minimum requirements for those inspections and their intervals. For light commercial vehicles (up to 3.5 t) and private cars (up to 8 seats) the first inspection shall occur no later than 4 years and at a frequency of up to 2 years thereafter. All other types of vehicles shall be subject to yearly inspection (busses, vans, trucks, trailers, taxis, ambulances, coaches). Vehicles from the military and fire departments are exempted from the directive.

Edit:
In the US, it seems to differ between different states, see the that Wikipedia link.

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Btw, I realized Daniel is Swedish. When I get to pass the inspection, I'll blast some Marduk on the Volvo I drive. :D
We who hang out at ASR do not listen to music. Do not you know that? That's what Danny, GR Resharch, said.;)

Edit:
By the way,Marduk,they are from the neighboring town, where I grew up.:)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
We who hang out at ASR do not listen to music. Do not you know that? That's what Danny, GR Resharch, said.;)

Many would argue that what I listen to is not even music. Still, to the Death's Head True!

I have visited Norrköping years ago when I lived in Norway. Fun ride from Bergen. :D

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
I have owned cars in 3 different EU countries and all required periodic technical inspections. With different cadences though. And it is enforced, no jokes.
Very profitable business must be.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
In Maryland, we need an inspection done when transferring ownership of a used vehicle. Once it's registered, no more inspections required unless it is sold and re-registered.

Edit: We do have required emissions tests that are done on a drive through basis every couple of years.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yup! Gotta get your APK certificate here (NL) every year or the car isn't allowed on the public roads. The fines are hefty. Trust me, I know. :p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There were emission tests in Illinois when I left 12 years ago, don't know about now.
Nothing here in Florida
They're more about a cult of money makers.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the UK, once a car is over three years old, it needs to pass an annual inspection commonly referred to as an MOT (Ministry of Transport).
should really be called a 'DOT' now (Department Of Transport) as the Ministry Of Transport has not existed since 1970, so it's a quaint anachronism.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
US (Virginia) We have annual safety inspection here. And emissions testing every other year for many areas within the State (generally if you are in/ near a major metropolitan area).

For >25 year old cars you can get "antique" license plates and you will no longer need safety inspections or emissions testing.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Basically you can drive a car here until it's either a) pulled over and defected or b) it breaks down.

Only time you'll get emissions type defects are when the car is belching so much smoke the cars behind cannot see.

If you go to sell it, it needs a 'roadworthy' certificate, but they are pretty easy to get 'organized'* if you know what I mean...

*standard 'fee' is a carton of beer in most cases.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
In germany everythink gets controlled and you can find a law for it :(
So sure you have to go every two year to inspection. And they look into details. We even exported this system to turkey.

Willem

Major Contributor
Annual safety and emissions check up in the Netherlands for somewhat older cars, and quite comprehensive following a precise protocol. It is done by your own garage (and randomly checked by government inspectors). People normally combine this with an annual service when the car has to be looked over anyway. Ours happens to be in the autumn, so it is also a good moment to change the tyres to winter tyres.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Florida - no.

Florida some basic mechanical testing many years ago, and emissions testing not as many years ago, but both programs have since been cancelled.

Top Bottom