• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do You EQ Speakers Above About 500Hz?

Do You EQ Speakers Above About 500Hz?

• Yes, I EQ Above 500Hz

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • No, I Cut EQ Off Below 500Hz

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters

luft262

I'm curious if people are using EQ at the higher frequencies where speakers dominate the response instead of the room. Or are they cutting the EQ (automatic or manual) off at the lower frequencies. I've heard mixed things about whether or not it's good to EQ at higher frequencies unless the speakers are very flawed.

D

Deleted member 48726

Absolutely! -How do I else make the sound exactly like I want and to fit a house curve and to cure the rooms effect.

Couldn't live without it.

goat76

Major Contributor
I don't EQ my speakers above 500 Hz, not even above 100 Hz with my current speakers.

I have tried to make some corrections to my speaker's direct sound response based on gated measurements, but for some reason, I didn't like how that sounded either. But that's the way to go if any adjustments should be done to the frequency range above 500 Hz.

As Toole says, the “house curve” is just a result, not a target. What a microphone picks up at the listening position is not what our hearing will pick up from the same spot, at least not for the frequencies for around 500 Hz and up.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Sound is too complex to be EQ-ed by just one microphone result.

Even for bass, I EQ when I can hear peaks/dips, and I test to make sure my ears agree with the mic. And even then I allow for 3dB variation post-EQ.

Then of course there are those who Dirac their system to be <0.5dB flatness.......

Daverz

Major Contributor
Yes, I use Acourate for room correction with excellent results.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dirac Live is active from 20 to 20K for my system but it doesn't do too much past 500Hz.
Mostly lowers the treble a bit to compensate for me sitting so close to speakers that weren't designed as nearfield monitors.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only near-field speaker correction, not room correction. I can never get it to sound good. Dirac, Audiolense, AutoEQ in REW doesn't matter, it never sounds quite right.

goat76

Major Contributor
Only near-field speaker correction, not room correction. I can never get it to sound good. Dirac, Audiolense, AutoEQ in REW doesn't matter, it never sounds quite right.
How does Dirac work, do they base all their corrections on a regular house curve measurement, or is it based on a gated response above a certain frequency point?

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have two presets, one with curtain at 500Hz and one full range. I have to admit that it might be difficult to tell them apart without very critical listening.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How does Dirac work, do they base all their corrections on a regular house curve measurement, or is it based on a gated response above a certain frequency point?
Dirac works in mysterious ways, it's all hidden in proprietary stuff. What they do is they correct phase and frequency response based on a number of measurements around the listening position where Dirac calculates the overall sensible way of correcting what can be corrected and leaves things that shouldn't well alone. Or so they say.

As a user all you can decide is how many measurements to take, where to take them and give the system a target response - and decide the frequency range you want corrected.
How well this works depends heavily on both the amount and quality of the measurements and the target response you give Dirac.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as I'm using proper time-gated measurements, the EQ works pretty well everywhere.

D

Deleted member 58722

I use no eq on my main speaker system at all. EXCEPT when having a dub session, in which case it's bottom and top to the max.... sound system style.

Top Bottom