• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you distrust some engineering? Like bridges, roads, electronics, buildings, vehicles, planes, trains etc etc?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
worlds highest bridge.jpg

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah, like quote 500 dump trucks of dirt to be moved and then only move 250 loads and charge for 500. That kind of mafia. They have their mitts in government and in the consulting firms and wherever they need them to be to pull off white collar crime.

Its the ones that put 20 tons less reinforcement into the concrete you need to be worried about. If they are in for the long term....:cool:, collapsing bridges would be bad for business.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, like quote 500 dump trucks of dirt to be moved and then only move 250 loads and charge for 500. That kind of mafia. They have their mitts in government and in the consulting firms and wherever they need them to be to pull off white collar crime.
And our PM is a Quebec native.

Loron

Forum Donor
Depends, where do you live?

Here in Canada if I lived in Quebec I’d be less trusting.
I’d be more worried in Ontario, just thinking about Heron road bridge collapse and the Desjardins canal bridge….or in BC with the Second Narrows bridge and the Point Ellie Bridge……

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about that one?

A lot might happen down there and no one will ever find you if it comes down on you. ;-)

Yeah, being buried has lotsa fear factor and pucker factor. I was thinking about it today when I was under the city commuting on the train.
Some very cool pics to go with that Swiss train.
800px-SBB_-_Gotthard_Base_Tunnel_%2830346410681%29.jpg

800px-Periscopio_Pollegio_140515.jpg

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, being buried has lotsa fear factor and pucker factor. I was thinking about it today when I was under the city commuting on the train.
Some very cool pics to go with that Swiss train.
800px-SBB_-_Gotthard_Base_Tunnel_%2830346410681%29.jpg

800px-Periscopio_Pollegio_140515.jpg
I’ll bet my Swiss watch that it’ll be alright.

G|force

Forum Donor
I daily have the heebie geeebies when I cross over a bridge span that must be I'm guessing ~180' high (~55m.) and no columns to support it. I've crossed when a heavy tanker truck, 2 city transit buses and several cars where crossing it simultaneously and I never detected any sort of weird stuff like swaying or dipping in the structure. If this bridge falls it's going to be a one way trip to death and doom. :D
View attachment 231342
As an armchair engineer, there are appropriate size and quantity of I-beams to support >5:1 design rating. The terminations to the cement piers are the potiential weak link(s) over time, assuming the steel is maintained and free from rust.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is one of my favorite Youtube channels. I may trust bridges and their upkeep a lot less now! ;)

Extremely thorough. I first discovered him when he released a video on the 35W bridge collapse.

I had traveled across the 35W bridge earlier on the day it collapsed; it was a surreal announcement to hear that it had happened. :oops::oops::oops:
What kind of education/training would a bridge inspector require to carry out the duty?
zzzz.png

Peluvius

Forum Donor
What kind of education/training would a bridge inspector require to carry out the duty?

Excellent hearing (maybe even Audiophile grade), you ever heard a bridge starting to come down?

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent hearing (maybe even Audiphile grade), you ever heard a bridge starting to come down?
Lol... I would not inspect a bridge, take the responsibly of signing off on the docs and hanging from some contraption hundreds of feet in the air for peanuts. I would want proper compensation. :D

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
As an armchair engineer, there are appropriate size and quantity of I-beams to support >5:1 design rating. The terminations to the cement piers are the potiential weak link(s) over time, assuming the steel is maintained and free from rust.
Don't trust a bridge that has cement piers. Look for ones with concrete piers instead. The water, fine and course aggregates and admixture result in a material that can actually withstand compression.

(ha, finally something in my wheel house -- civil/ structural engineering)

sam_adams

I used to drive over this beautiful structure everyday for years:

east_queensboro_new.jpg

When it rained, the open grating steel deck was extremely slippery. In winter, when the ice would clog the deck grating and turn it into a skating rink, it was a nerve-racking crossing—no matter what speed you were driving. In the early 1980s people began to be concerned about the bridge's structural safety when huge, rusty chunks started dropping off the structure onto traffic below. It has been under restoration for nearly thirty-five years in one way or another. They named it after Mayor Ed "How am I doin'?" Koch sometime around 2010. (The response to hizzoner's question was, in the typical, lovable New Yorker way was, "You suck!")

Top Bottom