• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do USB Filters Make DACs Sound Better? (Video)

amccausland

Here is tonight's video. It is a digest of previous reviews of a couple of USB filters:

Reviews referenced:

AudioQuest JitterBug USB Filter Review: AudioQuest JitterBug USB Filter Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
ifi micro iUSB3.0 USB Filter Review: ifi micro iUSB3.0 USB Filter Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Not anything new for longtime members here but I thought was a good one for newer members and youtube viewers.

The icing on the Audioquest cake for me was the instruction in the manual and on the jitterbug box that tells us plugging in a second jitterbug "in parallel" with the first one will improve the sound further (among other incredible claims, such as plugging one into the USB cable connected to your hard drive on your NAS where your music is stored). In other words, you plug in the first into the USB port that your USB to DAC cable is in, then plug in another into an empty port. I'm not an expert, but is it not correct that the one plugged into the empty USB port would have no current even flowing through it? How would it make any difference at all? With that kind of snake oil salesmanship, how can I trust anything from Audioquest?

[By the way, I also tried the Audioquest Beetle, and it was a dud. The output was audibly noisy, and since the output level was so low I had to crank up my amplifier to almost max gain just to listen at normal levels (for me about 75 dBA peaks). With that gain it was easy to hear the noise which appeared to be coming from the USB connection, and which occured even with a different usb cable or when I plugged it into power with no audio signal in. As a comparison, I plugged my Scarlett 2i4 interface into the same USB port and the same amp input and the noise disappeared. Even at a reduced price of $65 on Amazon the beetle was not worth it.]

Thanks for your reviews! It is refreshing to get some real data-driven analysis on audio products.

roog

Forum Donor
I received an AQ jitterbug some years ago, gifted to me by my HiFi dealer. I tried it with a couple of different devices. At best, I have never found any benefit in using it, but the negative was that it creates a greater cantilever on the source USB socket.

alexb997

OK, so I got the Jitterbug together with my Audioquest Dragonfly (craigslist)... AND, I can definitely hear "some" improvements IF used with my Focal Elear headphones, while I can't hear much difference on any other headphones, earphones I own. So, not sure if it was worth it if bought new.

However, I've been using a cheap Amazon USB Bluetooth transmitter, on my desktop, so I can listen to wireless earbuds when I am on the move. They had TERRIBLE range, horrific noisy sound, and voices would sound robotic, distorted, noisy 30-50% of the time... just about 15mins ago, I went on Amazon to order a more expensive Bluetooth transmitter as this was driving me nuts... then I realized, hey, let's TRY this Jitterbug and see if it makes any difference... OMG, it literally TRANSFORMED the BT transmitter, ALL of the screeching, noise, distortion, robotic voice GONE! It's actually LOUDER TOO, and I am FLOORED!

It is 100% doing SOMETHING! It has clearly removed some noise, or reduced interference coming from my desktop (CPU, GPU, fans, motherboard, etc...) on this crappy USB Bluetooth transmitter. So, while Amir testing is thorough... REAL LIFE USAGE is different and this CLEARLY SHOWS Jitterbug WORKS in some scenarios like my Bluetooth. Here's a pic of how I am using it, so you all know it's NOT BS!

@amirm - maybe you wanna try and test this BT transmitter I own, with AQ Jitterbug to CONFIRM this thing actually DOES WORK! I trust almost all of the reviews here, but maybe we also need to test use cases! So, maybe those crappy parts in there WORK for crappy BT/DAC devices that don't filter noise? Maybe...

Mpow Bluetooth 5.0 USB Adapter for PC, Bluetooth Dongle Supports Windows 7/8.1/10, for Desktop, Laptop, Mouse, Keyboard, Printers, Headsets, Speakers: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories

Attachments

• jitter-bug.jpg
    jitter-bug.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

DSS

OK, so I got the Jitterbug together with my Audioquest Dragonfly (craigslist)... AND, I can definitely hear "some" improvements IF used with my Focal Elear headphones, while I can't hear much difference on any other headphones, earphones I own. So, not sure if it was worth it if bought new.

However, I've been using a cheap Amazon USB Bluetooth transmitter, on my desktop, so I can listen to wireless earbuds when I am on the move. They had TERRIBLE range, horrific noisy sound, and voices would sound robotic, distorted, noisy 30-50% of the time... just about 15mins ago, I went on Amazon to order a more expensive Bluetooth transmitter as this was driving me nuts... then I realized, hey, let's TRY this Jitterbug and see if it makes any difference... OMG, it literally TRANSFORMED the BT transmitter, ALL of the screeching, noise, distortion, robotic voice GONE! It's actually LOUDER TOO, and I am FLOORED!

It is 100% doing SOMETHING! It has clearly removed some noise, or reduced interference coming from my desktop (CPU, GPU, fans, motherboard, etc...) on this crappy USB Bluetooth transmitter. So, while Amir testing is thorough... REAL LIFE USAGE is different and this CLEARLY SHOWS Jitterbug WORKS in some scenarios like my Bluetooth. Here's a pic of how I am using it, so you all know it's NOT BS!

@amirm - maybe you wanna try and test this BT transmitter I own, with AQ Jitterbug to CONFIRM this thing actually DOES WORK! I trust almost all of the reviews here, but maybe we also need to test use cases! So, maybe those crappy parts in there WORK for crappy BT/DAC devices that don't filter noise? Maybe...

Mpow Bluetooth 5.0 USB Adapter for PC, Bluetooth Dongle Supports Windows 7/8.1/10, for Desktop, Laptop, Mouse, Keyboard, Printers, Headsets, Speakers: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories
Ain’t it better to consider a better BT transmitter? Probably cheaper too.

alexb997

Ain’t it better to consider a better BT transmitter? Probably cheaper too.

possibly but I have this jitterbug so might as well use it. Point is, it DOES WORK in this case and it’s not a fake product or snake oil. It may not be effective on good DACs with good noise filtering but this real life case shows it works.

Lambda

Major Contributor
it DOES WORK in this case and it’s not a fake product or snake oil. It may not be effective on good DACs with good noise filtering but this real life case shows it works.
Yeah i plugged it in my car stereo and instantly gained >5HP AND get better fule economy.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If your system needs a bug to improve the sound, there is something serious wrong with your system

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That is not a "real life" use. Real life use is people buying it and adding it to perfectly working DACs and saying it improved the sound. You say you heard the same thing with your headphones. Have someone else blind test you 10 times randomly plugging or not plugging the USB filter in and see if you can tell the difference. That, we are interested in.

On your other test, you have an RF transmitter in the form of Bluetooth. A ton of things can change its behavior even including where you sit, reflections in the room, really, anything. The adapter you bought worked for 1000 people based on Amazon ratings. So clearly they didn't need the jitterbug to make it work.

alexb997

That is not a "real life" use. Real life use is people buying it and adding it to perfectly working DACs and saying it improved the sound. You say you heard the same thing with your headphones. Have someone else blind test you 10 times randomly plugging or not plugging the USB filter in and see if you can tell the difference. That, we are interested in.

On your other test, you have an RF transmitter in the form of Bluetooth. A ton of things can change its behavior even including where you sit, reflections in the room, really, anything. The adapter you bought worked for 1000 people based on Amazon ratings. So clearly they didn't need the jitterbug to make it work.

Wow, I didn't expect such denial! I will try to make a video if I can, I cannot capture the sound on the video from my earbuds, but just to show this thing is clearly making a major difference, I might get a BT speaker to show exactly how it changes and clears the sound.

Bottom line, Jitterbug in this particular REAL LIFE scenario works like magic! Now, I am one to admit, on their own Dragonfly, apart from on the Focal headphone, it's hard to say if it does anything. Essentially I do agree that on a clean, good designed DAC it doesn't make a major difference in sound, BUT on poorly designed USB devices like this BT module, it clearly makes a difference so a caveat must be added somewhere on this review.

Sure, I bought the device per the reviews on Amazon, many might have different expectations... it does work on its own, BUT it's 100% noisy, specially with my Galaxy Buds.

I am sitting at EXACTLY the same position in front of my monitor, using the EXACT same USB port on the back of the desktop, and just using it with or without Jitterbug, and the difference in sound is immense. I've used other USB ports in the past and all had the same BT issues with that mpow device... but can try each with the Jitterbug to see if the same improvement can be replicated.

I came to this by luck BTW, the quality of BT was driving me nuts, listening to live broadcast of F1 pre-testing at midnight and was literally on Amazon trying to buy a more expensive BT when I thought, let's try this and see if it makes a difference and oh boy did it surprise me!

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow, I didn't expect such denial!
What denial? I take it at face value that you heard what you did. I am explaining that with RF transmission, there can be many factors that led to better Bluetooth performance that had nothing to do with USB being filtered or not. You naturally don't have any instrumentation or means to verify the filter is filtering USB or some other factor in play.

Sure, I bought the device per the reviews on Amazon, many might have different expectations...
I am sure they all had the same expectation: that the BT doesn't glitch and crackle. To the extent the average review is 4.5 stars for 1000 people, it means the BT adapter is of no need of such filter.

alexb997

What denial? I take it at face value that you heard what you did. I am explaining that with RF transmission, there can be many factors that led to better Bluetooth performance that had nothing to do with USB being filtered or not. You naturally don't have any instrumentation or means to verify the filter is filtering USB or some other factor in play.

I am sure they all had the same expectation: that the BT doesn't glitch and crackle. To the extent the average review is 4.5 stars for 1000 people, it means the BT adapter is of no need of such filter.

It sure is crackling in my case. Just to explain it, now with Jitterbug, to get the same crackling sound I have to walk out of my office, walk to the kitchen and sound quality at that distance is the same as if I didn't use Jitterbug sitting next to my desk.

What factors can playa role? I use THE SAME USB PORT sitting 4 feet away, it's crackling.. I use Jitterbug, the crackling goes away. WHAT FACTOR am I missing? What instrumentation do I need to VERIFY the CLEAR difference in sound... you guys sound like anti-vaxxers, or the audiophile measurement deniers. It's like even if I hear the MAJOR difference, it doesn't exist unless I can measure it?!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It sure is crackling in my case. Just to explain it, now with Jitterbug, to get the same crackling sound I have to walk out of my office, walk to the kitchen and sound quality at that distance is the same as if I didn't use Jitterbug sitting next to my desk.

What factors can playa role? I use THE SAME USB PORT sitting 4 feet away, it's crackling.. I use Jitterbug, the crackling goes away. WHAT FACTOR am I missing?
In our bedroom, if I place my body between my tablet and wifi source a few rooms away, I lose the signal. If I just turn my body, it locks on the signal. This is RF for you. Without instrumentation it is hard to know. Maybe your computer is radiating interference which just happened to get blocked the right way with the filter. Or maybe some other unknown factor. What we know is that you are by far an outlier as others who have bought the same BT adapter are not seeing it.

alexb997

In our bedroom, if I place my body between my tablet and wifi source a few rooms away, I lose the signal. If I just turn my body, it locks on the signal. This is RF for you. Without instrumentation it is hard to know. Maybe your computer is radiating interference which just happened to get blocked the right way with the filter. Or maybe some other unknown factor. What we know is that you are by far an outlier as others who have bought the same BT adapter are not seeing it.

Possibly, but it's working for me and that's a fact. So, it does do something in some cases. I've lost my job, otherwise just to contribute will buy a BT speaker to be able and demo this on video for non-believers. Will see if I find one to do so.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've lost my job, otherwise just to contribute will buy a BT speaker to be able and demo this on video for non-believers.
Sorry to hear you losing your job. Hopefully you find a better one soon. But once again, no one is doubting your experience. It is the cause and effect that we are discussing. Please don't spend more money on this, do videos or whatever. That won't move the dial on the conversation.

Mark Lawless

I wonder if you missed the point? I'm using a USB isolation filter and it makes a huge difference in noise. Maybe that's not what this unit is designed to do. I have a terrible hum from my desktop computer when I plug it into the DAC. But if I plug the isolator into the back of the computer and then attach the usb cable to that. Then the noise goes away. I was hoping that you were going to review that. :( If you could try that it would be great to hear what you discover. https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-ADUM...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Lambda

Major Contributor
If you want to test a filter you need to add a known amount of the thing you want to filter and test how good the filter rejects it.
The AP Analyzer already has a pseudo "floating" input and rejects common mode hum/noise.

So as long as there is no test with controlled noise injection and realistic input/gnd impedance the filter and cable testes are not conclusive.

Or "if its not broken you can’t fix it"
best case the usb isolator dose nothing to a already good signal.

DavidSvehla

I have deep respect of @amirm work, reviews and measurements. I also bought few products thanks to his reviews and recommendations and I am really happy with them. But I must say I had a different experience with the "USB cleaners".

Few years ago I had ifi iDSD Nano + JBL LSR305 hooked up to my older PC with Asus Sabertooth P67 mobo and it was quite noisy. When the CPU was in load or even when I was moving the mouse I heard buzzing and weird electronic sounds in the speakers. I tried everything (unplug all mechanical HDDs, fans, checked grounding) and nothing helped. So I tried to buy ifi iUSB 3.0, hooked it between PC and DAC and the noise was eliminated by 80%. It was still there but very low volume. Than I upgraded to ifi iDSD micro and the noise was same (without iUSB cleaner). After I bought new PC (mobo X570 Aorus Master) the noise is gone (same DAC, same speakers, same house, same place, same AC outlet). The iUSB 3.0 has its own AC adapter so you are receiving only data from the PC and DAC/AMP has separate power from the "USB cleaner".. so maybe that solved the problem. I don't know but I heard with my ears that the iUSB 3.0 was doing something. And I could easily pass the blind test 10/10 times, it was that obvious. Maybe there are special cases where these things actually work. But thanks for the "review" ;)

grebg

Hi,
I read this website since some time and like it a lot but never created an account. But now I’m confused…
I don’t want to be the troll but as an iFi iPurifier 3 owner, I can A/B test this thing all day long on my Gustard X12 Dac and there’s a significant difference. Not just me but my friends, my wife, and potentially anybody listening to my setup. The specific device has not been tested here but still I didn't expected that.

Honestly, I don’t want to convince anyone that it’s doing “something”. But I very confused that it shows nothing on the measurements we currently have for hifi gear. At least If I’m coherent with myself I have to accept that measurements (as of today) don’t tell the whole story to me and I should probably step back from performance numbers.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
The iUSB 3.0 has its own AC adapter so you are receiving only data from the PC and DAC/AMP has separate power from the "USB cleaner".. so maybe that solved the problem.
It did. That's what it 'defends' against.

Hi,
Not just me but my friend, my wife, and potentially anybody listening to my setup.
Not the wife... :p

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hi,
I read this website since some time and like it a lot but never created an account. But now I’m confused…
I don’t want to be the troll but as an iFi iPurifier 3 owner, I can A/B test this thing all day long on my Gustard X12 Dac and there’s a significant difference. Not just me but my friends, my wife, and potentially anybody listening to my setup. The specific device has not been tested here but still I didn't expected that.

Honestly, I don’t want to convince anyone that it’s doing “something”. But I very confused that it shows nothing on the measurements we currently have for hifi gear. At least If I’m coherent with myself I have to accept that measurements (as of today) don’t tell the whole story to me and I should probably step back from performance numbers.
Welcome Aboard @grebg. Give the facts some time to sink in. It’s hard to break the hypnotic trace of Marketing and Sales claims.

Top Bottom