• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do USB Audio Cables Make A Difference?

Viper Necklampy

???
The referenced USB cable covers the digital stream transfer from the source (PC) to the D50.
From the D50 to the Atom you need a pair of RCA cables.
Yeah i know, i was referring Atom just in case it would mean something about choosing the usb but if not... Does the USB i linked works perfectly with connecting d50 to pc?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Yeah i know, i was referring Atom just in case it would mean something about choosing the usb but if not... Does the USB i linked works perfectly with connecting d50 to pc?

Sure ... The most difficult task will be the color selection between Black and Grey ... :)

Empirical Audio

Audio Company
I wonder if this is exactly same even for Optical cables... Do you guys know the best Optical cable around 200$? I'm tempted to buy Atlas Mavros Toslink, as a reviewed talked like it was just near at Audioquest diamond in sound quality, even Audioquest vodka seems not bad..

This is an excellent cable, and not very expensive:

https://btpa.com/TOSLINK-XXX.html

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

hyperknot

Hi, a very basic question related to this thread. If I have a speaker about 15 meters from my PC (cable has to go through the corner of the room), which cables should I make short and which ones long? PC --- DAC --- Amp --- Speakers

My DAC is an AUDINST HUD-mx1, I have no idea how sensitive it is to cable lengths or jitter. I'd use the USB to power the DAC, (though it supports external power).

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@hyperknot, 15m long speakers cable is safe-enough and usually most of us want to keep all our audio gear in one place/desk, so I would personally keep all the other cables short and increase speakers cables length, but I guess it's more important your desk setup and how do you want your room and Hi-Fi equipment to make perfect fit in there.

I've seen 15m USB cables working perfectly in audio setup (also on USB2.0 video webcam), but not sure anyone ever bothered to measure DAC jitter on 2 identical USB cables (same manufacturer and cable type) but with different length (e.g.: 1m vs. 15 m).

Worth mentioning that increasing speakers cables length means to increase their gauge too, see https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge.

L.E.: In bedroom I have studio monitor connected via balanced XLR interconnects, in living I have passive speakers with <10m cable length. I'm OK with both setups.

hyperknot

I can only use RCA for interconnects. Also I can run the amp and the PC from the same mains socket, so ground loops shouldn't be an issue (I hope that's what would cause a ground loop).

So generally you'd recommend to have the USB and interconnect short and the speaker cables longer?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I can only use RCA for interconnects. Also I can run the amp and the PC from the same mains socket, so ground loops shouldn't be an issue (I hope that's what would cause a ground loop).

So generally you'd recommend to have the USB and interconnect short and the speaker cables longer?

Yes, that's what I have me too, the minimum possible length for both USB and interconnects.

DeepSpace57

is there anyone who could suggest a proper C to B usb cable (preferably 2ft to 3ft) ?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
When I had a MacBook Pro (thank goodness no more, I deeply hated it), I used a standard USB-B to USB-B cable (Amazon Basics), and had a USB-B to USB-C adapter (Syntech) in the Mac port. Worked fine, despite my cursing at Apple for introducing Thunderbolt in the first place.

Top Bottom