• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do tubes do anything well in circuits?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It looks like a thermistor to me -- basically an inrush current limiter, methinks (since it's sittin' next to what appears to be the HV rectifier bridge).

EDIT:
PS Looks like someone's loaded that amp up with some frou-frou capacitors...

Last edited:

Murray A

Forum Donor
I'd like to see one of these amplifiers driving a vibration exciter at full power 24 hours a day o_O
Does anybody know what the component circled in red is/does?
index.php
A 60 ohm negative temperature coefficient thermistor, in series with the two series connected input caps. Prevents hammering of the power transformer upon turn on.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'd like to see one of these amplifiers driving a vibration exciter at full power 24 hours a day o_O

A 60 ohm negative temperature coefficient thermistor, in series with the two series connected input caps. Prevents hammering of the power transformer upon turn on.

I doubt it would last anything like 24 hours. The end might be fun to watch, from a distance.

Exactly my thoughts on the thermistor, except I don't remember the common cold resistances any more. Too many years since my TV days when they were in all sets -- and a frequent source of repairs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Too many years since my TV days when they were in all sets -- and a frequent source of repairs.
I thankfully am pleased that I never repaired a TV set nor a microwave oven. :D I took one look at those TV sets with brown dust/fur inside and the greasy smelly microwave ovens and I decided that mechatronics, car audio and home audio would be my thang at the time. That and after seeing a workmate take a hit off a magnetron. He yelped like a badly hurt dog and was not himself for ~3-4 days after. :facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Exactly my thoughts on the thermistor, except I don't remember the common cold resistances any more. Too many years since my TV days when they were in all sets -- and a frequent source of repairs.
Yeah, that one looks like the thermistors straight outta 1960s colo(u)r TV sets.
My father was a self-employed TV repair person for most of my young life, until he (asymptotically) retired in the late 1980s/early 90s.
I knew my way around the CRT TVs of the 60s and 70s pretty well, as a consequence. ;)

Top Bottom