• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do speakers need to be fixed in place?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I don't see why this wouldn't work - it's more or less equivalent to pressing your ear against the surface (which tends to pick up plenty of structural vibration), just more convenient.
It will work and you will hear things, it's just difficult to quantify good/bad/acceptable.

I used to analyse vibration in industrial machinery and we would use on occasions an electronic stethoscope and headphones to hear bearing faults. Along with of course accelerometers and FFT analysis. It's amazing what you could pick up, even subsurface cracks in raceways.

OP
R

reza

Just to follow up: I ordered a pack of these on Amazon for $17 plus free shipping. They seem to work quite well.

OP
R

reza

sorbothane removed finish on wood when I used it.

Don't scare me! I already did away with Blu Tack fearing it might damage the wood. I'm going to pretend I didn't read your post :|

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Just to follow up: I ordered a pack of these on Amazon for $17 plus free shipping. They seem to work quite well.

sorbothane removed finish on wood when I used it.

Don't scare me! I already did away with Blu Tack fearing it might damage the wood. I'm going to pretend I didn't read your post :|

Just stick a layer of 3M Scotch Tape or a piece of self-adhesive vinyl between the Sorbothane and your cabinet top, you'll be fine.

If you're worried it slipping, them stick a piece of felt between the Sorbothane and the cabinet top.

DKT88

just sandwitch the sorbothane between some thin material that won't damage the wood. It's a lot better than Blu Tack which is made of calcium carbonate, mineral oil, and polyisobutene. Those last two ingredients are nasty on wood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom