• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do speaker company's headphones have similar sound signature as their speakers?

Archsam

I'm curious about this as there are many traditional speaker companies who are now offering high end headphones. Do they generally voice their headphones to sound similar to their speaker products? How close or far do they sound?

What comes to mind are Focal, Quad, B&W and Klipsch. My go to headphones at the moment is my Focal Clear. I have never listened to a pair of Focal speakers, so how similar will a pair of Kanta or Sopra be compared to the Clear?

I will exclude big Japanese companies like Sony, Pioneers and Denon since they are not primarily speaker manufacturers.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Headphones are quite different from speakers, sonically speaking. I think it is reasonable to assume that a speaker company may try to impart a tuning philosophy onto headphones, but despite both being used for musical reproduction, they differ significantly. I have owned KEF speakers and headphones, B&W speakers and headphones, Pioneer speakers and headphones (still have HPM100 speakers and a SE Monitor 5 headphone). Generally I like when speaker companies try their hand at headphones. I had the Quad ERA-1 on hand for several weeks and very much enjoyed it. I now own the Klipsch HP-3, but I have never owned any Klipsch speaker.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No clue about Sopra or Kanta, as I haven't had the pleasure of hearing them but my Clear has pretty much the same perceived sonic signature as my Aria 906 / my friends Aria 926.

Judging by the FR graphs, both Utopia and Sopra/Kanta have around +5dB in the high end vs Aria/Clear, so I'd expect the character of the Utopia to be closer to their Be speaker drivers as the Clear.

Of course all bets are off, as soon as you touch any sort of EQ.

Top Bottom