• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do some DACs decode MQA better than others?

OP
S

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To me @amirm, It sounded like it solved like 2 problems. One having to do with impulse response (i think) and making it easier to stream hifi saving resources.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
What's with the hate. I haven't heard any reasons why it's bad. It's like zip format for music.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
What's with the hate. I haven't heard any reasons why it's bad. It's like zip format for music.
No, that's what FLAC is. Pretty sure MQA is kind of lossy; and an unnecessary DRM format from a company that wants to become a parasitic leech on the whole industry.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I understand people's fears about the company, but doesn't it just compress and uncompress when you play through a mqa dac, saving bandwidth ect?

I want to find out whats wrong with it...

Theriverlethe

I understand people's fears about the company, but doesn't it just compress and uncompress when you play through a mqa dac, saving bandwidth ect?

I want to find out whats wrong with ot...

It involves licensing fees on both producer and consumer sides for an equivalent result that could be achieved for free. Ie., there's absolutely nothing wrong with 16/44.1kHz FLAC as an audibly transparent delivery mechanism.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
It involves licensing fees on both producer and consumer sides for an equivalent result that could be achieved for free. Ie., there's absolutely nothing wrong with 16/44.1kHz FLAC as an audibly transparent delivery mechanism.
Yes but streaming a flac file and a mqa is quite different as far as resources used.

jhwalker

MQA is NOT a "ZIP file for audio" - it is lossy.

When Meridian started developing it 15 years (or so) ago, there may have been a use case (i.e., a "better" MP3, transmitting near-CD quality results from a smaller file, using lower bandwidth); however, by the time it was actually released, both disk space and bandwidth had ceased to be a problem for most.

If you are still concerned about space / bandwidth, FLAC (for example) can be tweaked to produce smaller files (and therefore require less bandwidth to stream) than MQA files, and it WOULD be lossless.

So MQA is simply a solution looking for a problem. IMO.

ryohnosuke

I would really like to say yes... But ultrasonics (above 20KHz) is completely lossy (even they add garbage) and the content below 20KHz -with cropped bitdeph- will be just upsampled to "any rate". So no, isn't true 'Hi Res'.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

MQA performs an unnecessary irreversible lossy compression of your wallet.

mansr

Major Contributor
It depends on the certification requirement from MQA. Some codec vendors require very high level of matching against their own results. Some not.
The decoder core is provided by MQA for common systems (x86, ARM, XMOS). The ARM and x86 versions produce output identical down to the last bit. I haven't had an opportunity to examine an XMOS decoder. The computational resource requirements of the ARM decoder are far lower than what XMOS chips provide, so there is no reason for them to have reduced precision there.

Top Bottom