• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do software VU meters react the same as hardware versions?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I understand your point, but how about the transient movement behavior of your "voltage" meter? Is it compatible with the IEC VU (volume unit) meter standard/specification?

I mean "The rise time, defined as the time it takes for the needle to reach 99% of the distance to 0 VU when the VU-meter is submitted to a signal that steps from 0 to a level that reads 0 VU, is 300 ms. The overshoot must be within 1 to 1.5%. The fall time is the same as the rise time, 300 ms."
I really don't know that's why I edited and posted the spec's I have in hand.
Any help will be valuable!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don't know that's why I edited and posted the spec's I have in hand.
Any help will be valuable!

As far as your spec sheet tells, your meter is pure ampere meter to monitor the voltage of your SP level signal(s). Since there is no info on the transient (rise time/swing up, fall time/swing down, overshoot) behavior of your meter, I believe it is not the standard VU (volume unit) meter compatible with IEC 60268-17. You would please read carefully this wiki descriptions on standard VU meter.

Sokel

Master Contributor
As far as your spec sheet tells, your meter is pure ampere meter to monitor the voltage of your SP level signal(s). Since there is no info on the transient (rise time/swing up, fall time/swing down, overshoot) behavior of your meter, I believe it is not the standard VU (volume unit) meter compatible with IEC 60268-17. You would please read carefully this wiki descriptions on standard VU meter.
I'll mail Icepower guys for definition (they are always helpful) and I'll report back.
Thanks a lot!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Talking about "VU meter", we should be careful about genuine VU meter standard/specification IEC 60268-17.

We should not mix up genuine IEC compatible VU meter with, quasi VU meter, sham VU meter, peak program meter, bar-graph peak meter, and so on.

As @knobtwiddler kindly wrote here, "the IEC VU spec requires a special ballistic that 99/100 meters on the market do not meet."

Sokel

Master Contributor
Talking about "VU meter", we should be careful about genuine VU meter standard/specification IEC 60268-17.

We should not mix up genuine IEC compatible VU meter with, quasi VU meter, sham VU meter, peak program meter, bar-graph peak meter, and so on.

As @knobtwiddler kindly wrote here, "the IEC VU spec requires a special ballistic that 99/100 meters on the market do not meet."
Reading back I think we have a misunderstand here.
The specs I posted is my amplifier's (Ice Power 1200as2) output option for connecting various meters (four of them,2 in each channel for volts and amperes respectivally). So it obviously means voltmeters with the appropriate range.
So,my question is: are the classical VU meters suitable?Or I must specificaly look for pure voltometers?

(English is not my language so it's not so strange to seem silly :facepalm: )

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reading back I think we have a misunderstand here.
The specs I posted is my amplifier's (Ice Power 1200as2) output option for connecting various meters (four of them,2 in each channel for volts and amperes respectivally). So it obviously means voltmeters with the appropriate range.
So,my question is: are the classical VU meters suitable?Or I must specificaly look for pure voltometers?

(English is not my language so it's not so strange to seem silly :facepalm: )

You are quite welcome! For me too, English is not my mother language...

According to page 33 of the data sheet of ICEPower 1200as2;
WS003860.JPG

The monitoring output is still the SP high-level signals, right?

As I wrote in my previous post, if you would seriously like to monitor the SP high-level signals with genuine IEC compatible VU meters, you need to convert the SP high-level signal into line-level signal using High-to-Low Converter (20 Hz - 40 kHz +/- 1dB precision) like Audio-Technical's AT-HLC130 which I use, and connect the line-level signal to genuine IEC compatible VU meters with proper VU amp board, just like I did in my post here on my project thread; even though now it has become more and more difficult finding/purchasing genuine IEC compatible VU meters with proper VU amp board like NISHIZAWA R-65 VU meter plus VU amp board ATV205EX which I use in my DIY 12-VU-Meter Array in my setup.

You would please read through carefully my specific post there.

I also highly recommend you to read the recent discussions on the thread entitled "VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!"

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
According to page 33 of the data sheet of ICEPower 1200as2;
View attachment 213284

The monitoring output is still the SP high-level signals, right?

As I wrote in my previous post, if you would seriously like to monitor the SP high-level signals with genuine IEC compatible VU meters, you need to convert the SP high-level signal into line-level signal using High-to-Low Converter (20 Hz - 40 kHz +/- 1dB precision) like Audio-Technical's AT-HLC130 which I use, and connect the line-level signal to genuine IEC compatible VU meters with proper VU amp board, just like I did in my post here on my project thread; even though now it has become more and more difficult finding/purchasing genuine IEC compatible VU meters with proper VU amp board like NISHIZAWA R-65 VU meter plus VU amp board ATV205EX which I use in my DIY 12-VU-Meter Array in my setup.
Ok,everything makes sense now.Even if the high level signal is reduced to a tenth (not exactly,but close as is the 0.12 of the original signal) will not be accurate on a VU meter as standards report.
So I have the option of making something that shows accurate VU like yours or a simple voltometer which will report the state scaled accordingly.
Thank you very much!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @restorer-john and friends,

As I shared in my post #17 above, SUZUDES10 very kindly sent me the memorial VU meter panels (plates) of NISHIZAWA R-series meters at the occasion of NISHIZAWA's final production together with the already out-of-print catalog book (VOL.2) of NISHIZAWA containing the details of R-series VU meters. You would please visit my post here on my project thread for the details.

I am happy sharing with you that NISHIZAWA R-65 VU meter plus ATV205EXT VU amp board is compatible with IEC 60268-17 VU meter specification/standard.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

Just for your reference,,,

- Dancing video of my IEC 60268-17 compatible large glass-face DIY 12-VU-Meter Array
_____Part-1:
with "High Frequency Linearity Check Track" of Sony Super Audio Check CD: #750
_____Part-2: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-1: #751
_____Part-3: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-2: #752
_____Part-4: with typical "Jazz Piano Trio Music": #753

Top Bottom