• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

do single driver full range speakers perform better? Do they sound different compared to 2 way etc speakers?

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a pair of Norelco-Phillips 12" drivers in large huge open back cabs. The cabs are resonant, so I filled them with pillows... They beam so much, that even 6" change in positions alters the FR... They are absolutely the polar opposites of my other speakers, F35s... And I love em. For some music, they just drill into your head with a sense of being there... and those refelctions from the open back, occasionally create an other worldly ghostly reverb that sends shivers down you spine. Are they speakers that produce the "artist's intent" - no... but they are "fun"!

1636291858420.png
1636291879142.png

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
damn. You still have it? I am thinking about using them high passed in combo with my sub

These monitors are so small it’s almost crazy to think about… hmmmn. Cause you can’t really play them that loud — gonna be higher THD and IMD. I expect that one would use it as is without an additional HPF too, and crank it up even higher with a sub.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
These monitors are so small it’s almost crazy to think about… hmmmn. Cause you can’t really play them that loud — gonna be higher THD and IMD. I expect that one would use it as is without an additional HPF too, and crank it up even higher with a sub.

I wonder if they get loud when high passed high, like 200Hz

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I wonder if they get loud when high passed high, like 200Hz

Well, I can align them with a sub and see how loud they go before they crap out. But just don’t hold your breath as the KH120s are also directly beside them.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Well, I can align them with a sub and see how loud they go before they crap out. But just don’t hold your breath as the KH120s are also directly beside them.
have you ever meassured them? cause distorsion meassurment should show if it is realy the bass what is restricting their loudness.

how is the midrange compared to the KH120s?

you have the modern version, right? Fostex 6301NE?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
have you ever meassured them? cause distorsion meassurment should show if it is realy the bass what is restricting their loudness.

how is the midrange compared to the KH120s?

you have the modern version, right? Fostex 6301NE?

Modern NX version.

I’ve only done quick sweeps.

I believe it might be the IMD that’s causing some of the differences in the quality of the sound when pushed too hard. But I’ll have to do a more thorough side-by-side listening test… But you have to realize that being a completely sealed system without the benefit of a port its output is already pretty limited.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Modern NX version.

I’ve only done quick sweeps.

I believe it might be the IMD that’s causing some of the differences in the quality of the sound when pushed too hard. But I’ll have to do a more thorough side-by-side listening test… But you have to realize that being a completely sealed system without the benefit of a port its output is already pretty limited.

afaik a port would only effect the bass.
high-passing it would also bring the IMD down. also we know that all speakers have the worst distorsion near the low frequency roll-off. since this thing rolls-off around 130Hz-ish allready, this would make it's distorsion there pretty anoying. I think you might be surprised with what it can do when high-passed. I could be wrong though lol

Also I wonder if a DSP phase corrected multi-way speaker can compete with the accurancy of a crossover-less one (talking about the midrange). It might be an outdated concept in the DSP age

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
damn. You still have it? I am thinking about using them high passed in combo with my sub

Here are some measurements of the Fostex 6301 paired with a sealed sub taken at my (repositioned) desk MLP:

1637206074511.png

No EQ applied to the Fostex 6301 and KH120 monitors -- except HPF, LPF and 3 peak filters for the subwoofer. Actually, I probably prefer it that way as well... just plug-and-play! :cool:

1637202104961.png

Desk positioning for context:
1637206119093.jpeg

Microphone distance is 0.75m from the Fostex 6301 and 0.85m from the KH120 -- both are off-axis facing mostly forward so barely any toe-in at all -- however, there's just a teeny bit of angling in order to match the natural HF shelving closer to each other. The KH120 has the wider horizontal dispersion so it naturally has an advantage here.

1637206210493.png

There appears to be some off-axis baffle and grill diffraction and reflections going on with the Fostex which isn't present in the very smoothly waveguided Neumann.

Except this:

1637208594180.png

I also took some very nearfield off-axis measurements (25cm):

1637202631703.jpeg

*The HF is going to be naturally elevated at such close distance (see MDAT file)

I stuck a protractor on the side of the monitor and used it as a guide to adjust by 10 degree shifts. I didn't bother measuring left-to-right of this setup since the mounting bracket's central axis is not in line with the center of the driver itself -- horizontally, I mean. So I'm afraid there's not gonna be a spinorama until I can come up with a much better dedicated measuring setup and rotating platform -- whenever that will be.

And a few more close up pictures of the monitor dissembled:

FOSTEX 6301 1.jpg FOSTEX 6301 2.jpg FOSTEX 6301 3.jpg FOSTEX 6301 4.jpg FOSTEX 6301 5.jpg FOSTEX 6301 6.jpg FOSTEX 6301 7.jpg FOSTEX 6301  8.jpg

Driver seems to be closer to 3.54" in diameter.

I only have a few comments with regards to my listening test (SPL leveled):

1. Without a sub, the KH120 sounds significantly more "dynamic" despite the room position-induced bass and HF shelving.
2. The 6301 still sounds very, very neutral, but much more milder/subdued. The HF is definitely audible, but it doesn't "sparkle" or it simply lacks the presence and brilliance I heard coming from the Neumann's dedicated tweeter.
3. One is likely going to have fewer issues with the bass response of the 6301 when placed almost anywhere -- it's extremely portable, too -- though, rather still heavy with the metal mount bracket and stand.
4. Listening to music and monologue vocals, I preferred the more "dynamic" sounding KH120's
5. Add-in the sub and extra bass extension, I found myself more often than not listening to the Fostex monitor. In fact, I'd be very, very happy to have these as my dedicated monitors in my desk setup when paired with a sub -- if I ever found myself needing to part ways with the Neumann, that is.

MDAT file: Fostex 6301 (there's already windowing and smoothing applied which you can change if desired).

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
2. The 6301 still sounds very, very neutral, but much more milder/subdued. The HF is definitely audible, but it doesn't "sparkle" or it simply lacks the presence and brilliance I heard coming from the Neumann's dedicated tweeter.
The missing brilliance is almost always a problem with full range loudspeakers as their beaming increases suddenly and more than with usual tweeters which can also be seen with your nice measurements:

1637226663946.png

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Here are some measurements of the Fostex 6301

very impressive afford, Amir should hire you lol

overall performance is kind of what I expected

LP:
intresting how the small thing can match distorsion of the Neumann until 200Hz

f.jpg

I noticed the Neumann graph has a stronger rear wall reflection at 17-20 ms-ish

e.jpg

somehow visible in the wavelet, too

f.jpg

I also noted that while the Neumann seams to be DSP corrected in the group delay, the GD of the Fostex is cleaner in the midrange (not sure how relevant that would be):

d.jpg

this is something observable on the unsmoothed FR graph, too.
Fostex's GD get's crazy after 10kHz though, as does the phase.

I see 2 mains problem zones in the FR compared to the Neuman:

h.jpg

the left one in the "presence" range in not so drastic and an easy EQ,
in the right "brilliance" one is strong and shows severe conacelations.
I think it is caused by the case and I wouldn't be present if toed-in to the neo-standard on-axis (note the dip the 30-degrees takes in the same range):

g.jpg

about the off-axis meassurements: there is an increasing dip caused by a resonance (wall mode?). here on the 90 degrees:

h.jpg

btw: when you have the oportunity (while meassureing another thing), could you just add a single mid and/or far field meassurement? in another thread there was a theory that HF would decay rapidly with distance.

I am so happy to see these meassurements. thank you a lot, man. even though not anechoic, they show enough to have a good idea, even more so compared to a great monitor the Neuman is. I spent the whole morning studying them.
Now I am eager to see Armir's meassurements of the Edifier G2000. even though they are cheap-ish "gaming" monitors, it will be intresting to compare since they are single-driver

grill diffraction

hard to remove the grill?

Add-in the sub and extra bass extension, I found myself more often than not listening to the Fostex monitor

why do you think that is?

I didn't bother measuring left-to-right of this setup

It shouldn't differ with a single driver

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
absence of a crossover will mean that the phase response of a single driver speaker is more linear than a (passive) multi-way speaker.
Maybe. At higher frequencies both the woofer cone and "whizzer" will output sound, and everything will go into breakup mode. I'm not sure that remains linear phase any more, or better than multi-ways. This would be an interesting area for measurement and comparison.

I'd expect that in the midrange the fullrange speakers would be good, whereas a two-way with its crossover will have a mathematically unavoidable dip in the total power response. The fullrange will also have symmetrical dispersion whereas multiways tend to lobing and asymmetry. This could sound quite different in a room versus fullrange.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
here is what dispersion 0 and 70 would look like if 0 was EQed

fost-disp-neutralized.jpg

So how come that if the Fostex is more dispersive in the midrange, it causes less combfiltering there?

s.jpg

maybe there might lie the answer to why suposly the midrange in a crossoverless design sounds more accurate.
are those wilder swings caused by the crossover?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
intresting how the small thing can match distorsion of the Neumann until 200Hz

Yes, but, at higher SPL there's more distortion from the single driver. At moderate nearfield volumes both perform well.

With regards to the difference in wall reflection, I was either standing or sitting beside the mic while controlling the mouse, so could've been my body changing the pattern. Just disregard that.

Oh, and I absolutely did not apply any EQ to the two monitors myself, even with the sub added they ran full-range "as-is". The difference in GD is caused by the mid-to-high frequency driver analog crossover present in the Neumann -- which is very simple to post-correct with DSP to make it more "flat" -- horizontally, mostly. The weirdness in the Fostex above 10kHz is likely from baffle edge diffraction and/or reflections -- desk measurement was off-axis so this exaggerated things a bit. If you look at the Neumann's baffle design, even the mid-woofer part is very precisely shaped via computer modelling to make the transition as smooth as possible.

1637267280291.png

Axial trace in white exhibits less peaking in the GD above 10 kHz.

the left one in the "presence" range in not so drastic and an easy EQ,
in the right "brilliance" one is strong and shows severe conacelations.
I think it is caused by the case and I wouldn't be present if toed-in to the neo-standard on-axis (note the dip the 30-degrees takes in the same range):

Listening on-axis gives you more HF, but it is still lacks that magical sparkle or alternatively, let's say, "metallic clang" I would expect from certain brass or percussive instruments. The HF sounds much louder, sure, yet still somewhat muted, damped, or subdued in comparison. EQ may be possible to improve things a little, but there's the possibility it would introduce some unwanted harshness; even more likely, distortion will rise earlier there when increasing the volume.

about the off-axis meassurements: there is an increasing dip caused by a resonance (wall mode?). here on the 90 degrees:

Unfortunately, the measurements are not as pristine as I would like since this was measured indoors (consider all the boundaries) and I did not move much furniture out of the way -- so can't totally be sure the cause of every single difference, to be honest -- but an obvious guess would be off-axis driver beamwidth significantly narrows particularly at that point adjunct to diffraction. Now, at 90 degrees, driver is pointing up the ceiling... which is about 7 feet high with the single driver about at midpoint height perhaps (not exact estimate). If the monitor were shaped round like an egg we might not see such a severe dip.

btw: when you have the oportunity (while meassureing another thing), could you just add a single mid and/or far field meassurement? in another thread there was a theory that HF would decay rapidly with distance.

A theory ... supported by a body of evidence. I've actually made measurements at different distances and the theory holds true. I'll post one of the KH120 I already have done at less than a meter and one at more than two meters shortly.

I am so happy to see these meassurements. thank you a lot, man. even though not anechoic, they show enough to have a good idea, even more so compared to a great monitor the Neuman is. I spent the whole morning studying them.

Very much welcome and appreciate that you found these useful. :)

hard to remove the grill?

Don't remember if the grill was removable, however, it was already completely flush with the rest of the aluminum cabinet so it likely would not have made a big difference even if it did contribute a little bit to some of the visible FR unevenness/irregularity.

As to why I found myself listening to the Fostex more with the sub, well listeners generally like more (good) bass extension. The HF still sounded very good and was audible when listening to music. For now, let's just say HF "sparkle" or brilliance isn't number one in my list of priorities. Bass is far more important.

Lastly, with the importance of left-to-right measurements... even though we have a single driver, the cabinet geometry contributes to the sound and is different depending on which off-axis angle your ears/head are positioned at relative the monitor orientation.

6301N_top-main.jpg

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
now the dispersion below 5k seams to be much wider? how can that be?
Often this is due to partial break up of the cone (which can be also fully seen at 5 kHz), making the active radiating area smaller. Also we shouldn't forget that the KH120 tweeter has a waveguide which purpose is to make its radiation narrower on its lower octaves to match the directivity of the woofer (and a good waveguide makes it also wider on the last octaves compared to without one).

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Depends in the monitor's sound power, distance, as well as room's acoustic properties.

Recycling the KH120 trace at 0.85m and comparing that to one I made in the same room at the couch MLP (2.6m) behind the desk:

1637272924116.png

No EQ

We are getting more room reflections so the decline is not even.

SPL was offset by 9.7 dB according to "theoretical" attenuation by distance

1637273036413.png

Additional filtering applied to show more of the direct sound, we actually lose more energy:

1637273144913.png

I put the Fostex back in place a different room so don't have it here now -- but, I'm very certain it would show even more attenuation.

In the highly reflective garage, where I normally have it installed, the HF do not attenuate as much listening off-axis as the in-room reflections sort of better preserves the energy.

Top Bottom