• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do servo subwoofers actually lower distortion?

snapsc

I have no numbers to prove this but I’m reasonably certain that the distortion from subs made by the big 4 independents... rythmik. Power Sound Audio. SVS. and HSU are very close ... and 3 of them are not servo.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I have no numbers to prove this but I’m reasonably certain that the distortion from subs made by the big 4 independents... rythmik. Power Sound Audio. SVS. and HSU are very close ... and 3 of them are not servo.
Kind of a strange assertion to make with no data, no?

snapsc

Not strange at all... if servo subs were considered to be sonically superior, these companies would either adopt the technology or suffer sales declines... neither seems to be happening... why? They all make great sounding subs suggesting that the servo difference is small.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not strange at all... if servo subs were considered to be sonically superior, these companies would either adopt the technology or suffer sales declines... neither seems to be happening... why? They all make great sounding subs suggesting that the servo difference is small.
I don't think servO sub systems solve it all. I've pounded the crap outta Velodynes and it was no better than a good pair of good big bore speakers.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the past, Brian Ding refused to divulge or discuss any of the techniques utilized in his products. I don't know if he still holds to that.
The basic concept is he uses a separate coil on the woofers for voltage feedback and also a current monitor on the driven coil. Those two parameters are inputs to the servo mechanism that's adapted into the amplifiers.

But, as mentioned by pozz, he provides next to nothing regards any objective data for his products.

If you want to get into a discussion where you ultimately throw your hands in the air......he's your guy. :)

Dave.
i believe brian is sending one of his subs to amir for testing.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

You do know this forum is heavy on numbers and not unfounded assumptions, yes?

I don't know the distortion levels but there are plenty of great subwoofers around these days and many ways to achieve low distortion. As for not using servo, it costs money -- you need a sensor (in Rythmik's case a special driver) and amplifier plus R&D to develop the systems. Velodyne still does, or did, use a servo design, and there have been a few others over the years. There are some things a servo can help (e.g. driver control to reduce distortion and "ringing", thermal issues in the voice coil) that are difficult to solve without a feedback loop. But a lot of that will go unnoticed at sub frequencies and of course optimized conventional designs may provide equal or better performance for the dollar.

Always trades...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Give me a box with a dead monkey in it anytime. It could stink, but if it sounds good, what do I care.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Give me a box with a dead monkey in it anytime. It could stink, but if it sounds good, what do I care.

What? To make a subwoofer, the box must contain a live monkey! Geez...

That does remind me of an old joke about creatures in boxes:

1580876530025.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way to reduce distortion on woofers you don't necessarily need closed loop feedback control, but if you know your system well and it doesn't drift much you can even use open loop control like Harman/Samsung does for their newer soundbars

1580897050059.png

1580897001937.png

(from https://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-sp...nien-zu-besuch-im-samsung-audio-research-lab/)

By the way they also did blind listening tests compared to some small Genelec monitors and the soundbars did comparably well, quite impressive.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
By the way to reduce distortion on woofers you don't necessarily need closed loop feedback control, but if you know your system well and it doesn't drift much you can even use open loop control like Harman/Samsung does for their newer soundbars

View attachment 48744

View attachment 48743

(from https://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-sp...nien-zu-besuch-im-samsung-audio-research-lab/)

By the way they also did blind listening tests compared to some small Genelec monitors and the soundbars did comparably well, quite impressive.
Its simpler version is also called pre-distortion(oh it's in the picture). The complexity is also quite high. You have three degrees of freedom: Different frequency, different level, and different distortion phase. Only a complex digital processor can do it.

Closed loop control normally is implemented in analogue circuits (at least preferably), these control systems are more accurate, have less delay, performance is more consistent and is immune to component aging. Small loop gain is going to have a lot of benefit. It's ideal for subs (low frequency).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Closed loop control normally is implemented in analogue circuits (at least preferably), these control systems are more accurate, have less delay, performance is more consistent and is immune to component aging.
Closed loop systems have of course several advantages, but not everything you mention, like for exampe they have more "delay" as they can only correct when deviations already have happend. Also component aging is a problem in their feedback sensors, like for example piezos, myself I have a pair of lovely Philips MFB loudspeakers with such.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Closed loop systems have of course several advantages, but not everything you mention, like for exampe they have more "delay" as they can only correct when deviations already have happend. Also component aging is a problem in their feedback sensors, like for example piezos, myself I have a pair of lovely Philips MFB loudspeakers with such.

MFB can give you less delay, the feedback will make the speaker actually move faster to its 'wanted' position.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Wouldn't an accelerometer measure woofer motion and send corrective signals far faster than the time it takes to complete a period of a single bass wave?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't an accelerometer measure woofer motion and send corrective signals far faster than the time it takes to complete a period of a single bass wave?
With a well implemented feed forward controller you don't need to have any waiting of feedback as your pre-compensate any deviations so the output signal is already optimal from the start.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
With a well implemented feed forward controller you don't need to have any waiting of feedback as your pre-compensate any deviations so the output signal is already optimal from the start.
It's a good point. Are you saying that feed forward would be be superior to servos for sub design? Are there any examples of subs like that yet?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a good point. Are you saying that feed forward would be be superior to servos for sub design? Are there any examples of subs like that yet?
Often the combination of feedforward control for speed and feedback control for error reduction and parameter drift is the optimal way, I don't know of such an implementation on loudspeakers though, only the known feedback woofers and the feedforward on the new Samsung soundbars.

Top Bottom