• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do plugging ports affect frequencies beyond bass range?

Mario Sanchez

We can see that some speaker ports tend to make some "noise" beyond their tuned frequency (e.g. JBL 7 series), thus affecting midrange performance. This left me rather curious:
If one already has a sub catching the lower frequencies of their content, and hence *technically* don't need the extra extension afforded by a port, should one then try to plug one's mains?
Do plugging a problematic port on a otherwise nicely designed speaker "solve" these midrange anomalies? What about on other designs where port resonance at higher frequencies are well controlled, would plugging a port amount to any difference other than changing bass response?
Personal experiences and theoretical discussions are both welcome!

OP
Mario Sanchez

Mario Sanchez

Oh and if one wishes to plug a port that doesn't have a supplied port plug, what's the best way to do it?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Oh and if one wishes to plug a port that doesn't have a supplied port plug, what's the best way to do it?
1656447878078.png

Nice clean new ones will also work. :)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I think the plugs that come with some speakers are some kind of foam rubber so maybe just stuff it with foam rubber. It doesn't have to seal it, it just needs to block most of the sound & resonances.

Or if you can get the speaker apart maybe you can hot-glue a piece of wood (or something) on the inside to block the port (hot glue because it might be removeable).

...And would expect this to stop your port noises.

Midnight Audiophile

I buy rubber lab stoppers. Most of the sizes are standardized by number. Just measure your port and make sure it falls within the plug's top and bottom diameters. For instance, Dali Spektor 2s use #7, Sony SS-CS5 use #9. You can get the plugs on Amazon usually in a 3-pack for around $10.
RS-SizeChart-Small_480x480.jpg

Chaconne

Love the lab stoppers idea. I've also had good luck rolling up strips of that rubber-like kitchen shelf liner made in the grid or web-like pattern. It doesn't create a tight seal, which can sometimes be a good thing, in my unscientific opinion.

Top Bottom