• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do or don't I like classical music? [sugestions?]

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I have a problem with classical music:

there are 3 works I like....no I love.
They give me goosebumps, they hipnotize me to a point that I can barly get up of my seat after a concert. I have seen playing musicians react to my (visual) involvement.
No other music does this to me. All the other music I hear is "danceable"/rythmic.

Now, on the other hand every other work I listened to basicly bores me. There is stuff I find beautiful, but mostly passages, or at max a single movement; and even then they don't "hipnotize" me.

But maybe I just haven't gotten deep enough in the classical world to discover.
So I am kindly asking experts to give me sugestions that could potentionaly match my taste based on those 3 works, which are:

Beethoven 5
I love all movements > all other Beethoven stuff bores me to death.

Dvořák 9
love all movements > heard other works of him which didn't trigger intrest

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade op.35

this is a little difrent. I like all movements, but the second one makes me crazy like no other stuff I ever heard. the ever rising climaxes drive me to total ecstasy. the movements 1 and 3 are like perfect foreplay and cigerate after orgasm. the 4th is a second orgasm with the violin at the end making you fall in love with Schreherazade even though you only wanted sex with her

q3cpma

Major Contributor
1) You seem to like powerful romantic music, try some classic works by classic composers: Strauss (Eine Alpensinfonie, Also sprach Zarathustra), Sibelius (Finlandia, Tapiola), Stravinsky (Pétrouchka, Le Sacre du printemps), Dukas (all orchestra work), Rimsky-Korsakov (The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh, The Golden Cockerel), Mussorgsky (orchestral arrangements for Night on the Bald Mountain and Pictures at an Exhibition), Rachmaninoff (Piano Concerto n°2, of course)
2) In general, when you like something by a composer, try his other stuff, they're generally consistent in quality and sonic themes.

Rotiv

Classical music is a beautiful world, more than 500 years of music, i believe it will grow in you, and the sistem, if low distortion, will be secondary.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor

this is a little difrent. I like all movements, but the second one makes me crazy like no other stuff I ever heard. the ever rising climaxes drive me to total ecstasy. the movements 1 and 3 are like perfect foreplay and cigerate after orgasm. the 4th is a second orgasm with the violin at the end making you fall in love with Schreherazade even though you only wanted sex with her
This description is so-o-O good, it makes me wonder why you would bother listening to anything else? (Assuming the experience is repeatable on demand....)

No, but seriously.... since you like Scheherazade so much, maybe you'll like other works for solo violin with orchestra. How about Vaughan Williams, The Lark Ascending?

Daverz

Major Contributor
It sounds to me like you are on your way. Some suggestions:

More Rimsky-Korsakov, particularly Russian Easter Overture:

81-lbOl56PL._SS500_.jpg

For Beethoven, give the Symphony 7 a chance.

For Dvorak, try the Cello Concerto.

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I have a problem with classical music
I hear you.

I have found:
  • Anything up to (but not including) Mozart is worth a listen. The older the better.
  • Anything after (and including) Schönberg is worth a listen. The more dissonant and/or repetitive the better.
  • The fewer instruments the more I like it
  • The performance/recording matters. The same work can be spine-tinglingly brilliant or toe-curlingly dreadful
  • For older works (pre mid 19th century) seek out performances using original/period instruments and performance techniques
  • The romantic classical 'symphony orchestra' is one of the most stultifyingly dull noises imaginable. If you have to listen to it the smaller the orchestra the better
  • Bach was a genius
  • I prefer the Portsmouth Sinfonia to the Berliner Philharmonika
  • There are other 'classical' musics that are every bit as interesting as the Western canon, i.e. Persian, Indian, Japanese, Balinese, Chinese etc.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beethoven 5

Dvořák 9
See if this does anything for you:

Danny Elfman – Justice League OST
John Williams – Jurassic Park OST (esp. Journey to the Island)
John Williams – pretty much any Star Wars, but try The Jedi Steps and Finale from The Force Awakens.

Also good:

Alan Silvestri – Ready Player One OST

If you're into more of a "powerful" sound:

Christophe Beck – Edge of Tomorrow OST
Rupert Gregson-Williams – Wonder Woman OST

iMickey503

Forum Donor
If you don't find it involving? There is a reason.

Classical music was made to be enjoyed by an audience. It was there to give you the connection with the performers. Its a Kinetic thing. And there lies the problem.

it's a similar effect with analog sources such as records where you actually interact with it and that's why I lot of people still prefer using records even though they don't really understand the modicum of why the angel had so much. (Theory)

it's the same reason why I love listening to soundtracks from movies because I connect with it. you can almost Envision it happening all around you.

there really is a difference between accurate sound in reproduction and recreating the actual feeling of the reproduction which is completely different.

classical music also doesn't necessarily follow the formula of a accompaniment of notes that you find basically to your actual brain being a sensory Joy or Delight. classical music in the past for example was meant to tell a story and if you didn't understand the story then the actual company music wouldn't really make much sense.

imagine a beach and then insert the Beach Boys kind of like the same thing.
today music and imagery are closely related to each other and hence therefore have higher penetration in the market as far as those that listen to regular top 40 Style music.

in practicality you're not actually listening to the music as much as you are experiencing it if that makes sense.
that's why music especially starting in the 50s started pushing a certain kind of image that went along with it and it was there before but again not in the same penetration as you see now especially modern day music.

again this is just from my perspective yours will probably completely be different.
but classical music in fact has for centuries been there to tell a story of some kind not just to be some kind of music or art piece that is made to be enjoyed simply for its complex scores and so forth.

imagine it much like watching a game or a sport. music in the classical sense is there to derive emotion to give you a connection with the music.
watching it live is almost the same thing as you are carefully studying the actual performance and measuring that with what to expect. you become very involved with the musicians the conductor and of course the room itself.

you may remember some of the light boxes from the sixties and seventies that were produced up until the 80s as well where the music was then choreograph with the lights in these boxes that reacted with the music.

it's basically the same phenomenon. to bring back that realism and connection that you had with music playback when you were able to experience it live. it helps with the auditory and visual cues.

modern-day classical music is actually a different Beast compared to what was written centuries ago. today most people even the young Among Us have experienced this not by physically purchasing a work of classical music but within the music that we experience and of course the media and movies.

I never really enjoyed the Nutcracker very much until I actually saw a live theater play of The Nutcracker and then I purchase the CD and I think I still have them someplace but I enjoy the recording so much more.

by itself it was an interesting piece but after seeing it performed live and with a actual theatrical play well it's a completely different animal. I saw it at the Schnitz here in Portland Oregon.

the initial idea of classical music was to match its environment. it's much the same as when you go off on a camping Trail in the Pacific Northwest and it's raining and it is an extremely calming experience because it matches your surroundings.
if this doesn't take place then you're not really going to experience it in the same way. again this is just for me and a theory but I think it holds some Merit.

for example when I listen to the Superman theme I always enjoy it because it reminds me of the movie. it even takes me back to a better time in history and that's just what it's designed to do conveying emotion in an attachment to your surroundings. even transformed them if able.

I don't know if any of you noticed this or not but remember department stores always used to have music going on in the background? they don't do that anymore because he popular music that's on the radio today really doesn't make you want to actually buy anything. I don't know if anybody's actually noticed that or not?

classical music is supposed to convey Beauty. well what beauty is there in our world today?
where is the magic and wonder that made you look forward to the future or in fact even today?

We had or could have had this...

Replaced with this... Nice movie, but... I think you get the distopian feeling.

posvibes

Aaron Copland

Appalachian Spring Suite
Billy the Kid Suite
Fanfare for the Common Man
The Red Pony
The Quiet City

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Vaughan Williams Enigma variations, particularly “Nimrod”

Rachmaninov Piano Concertos

Or break out into Chamber Music, try
Brahms Piano Quartet in C Minor, 3rd movement:

Lots more where that came from.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We were required to be able to read and play music (minimum: 3 instruments) from the 1st grade onward.
I got the 'spinach syndrome' and rebelled after 7 years!
Later, each time I would get near a %^&* piano, my fingers would tremble, for some reason...
Finally, in mid-teens, I came to the 'decision' that "If you can't bang your head to it; then, it ain't music!"
Maybe it was peer-pressure during the punk era, around NYC. I dunno and I don't care, really.
I kinda graduated to the Alt-scene bcuz the headaches were not calculated into that early 'decision'.
It turns out, that there is much music in the world that are extremely enjoyable and can EVEN raise goosebumps and cause tears.
The only few that just don't gel with me are 1)MiddleEastern and 2)C&W twang... and of course 'spinach': that which I was forced to indulge in and they used to call it 3)classical music. [No Disco, Jazz or Emo, for extra points?]
Give me good Blues, BigBand, Motown, Rock, African, Salsa, Island, Reggae/Ska, Cumbia, even Reggaeton; I am perfectly chillin' and have no complaints.
What I am trying to say is that variety is the spice of life, as well as music. ;)

MRC01

Major Contributor
  • Anything up to (but not including) Mozart is worth a listen. The older the better.
  • Anything after (and including) Schönberg is worth a listen. The more dissonant and/or repetitive the better.
  • The fewer instruments the more I like it
Have you listened to Schubert's piano trios and the Trout? Brahms trios? If not, they're worth a try, might change your opinion about the period from Mozart to Schonberg. Also Beethoven's string quartets.
PS and Chopin's Sonata in G min Op. 65, either the DuPre/Barenboim or Ma/Ax performances. Anyone who doesn't appreciate that kind of musical beauty must be from another planet.

Last edited:
OP
dasdoing

dasdoing

Major Contributor
wow, so many replies. will take me a while to check all this stuff out and respond. So far I can allready thank for all the sugestions

raif71

Major Contributor
I like Beethoven 5th like you and would like you to try Beethoven 6th and Schubert 9th (The Great) for a start.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I have a problem with classical music:

there are 3 works I like....no I love.
They give me goosebumps, they hipnotize me to a point that I can barly get up of my seat after a concert. I have seen playing musicians react to my (visual) involvement.
No other music does this to me. All the other music I hear is "danceable"/rythmic.

Now, on the other hand every other work I listened to basicly bores me. There is stuff I find beautiful, but mostly passages, or at max a single movement; and even then they don't "hipnotize" me.

But maybe I just haven't gotten deep enough in the classical world to discover.
So I am kindly asking experts to give me sugestions that could potentionaly match my taste based on those 3 works, which are:

Beethoven 5

Dvořák 9

I'm going to point to musical works that relate to the three you posted.

I'm not sure how Beethoven's other works would bore you*, but just in case you were examining some of the best unknown corners of his works [the Scottish and Irish songs come to mind], the two other works of Beethoven that strike me as having the most in common with the Fifth Symphony are the Seventh Symphony and the 21st Piano Sonata, also known as the "Waldstein". There are many great performances of both works, my favorites of the Seventh Symphony include Bernstein's second commercial recording with the New York Philharmonic followed by his third recording of the score, this time with the Vienna Philharmonic. One of the greatest performances of the Fifth---Carlos Klieber, Vienna Philharmonic---is coupled with a fine performance of the Seventh with the same performers. That is a disc/stream well worth seeking out. I still have the SACD, though I no longer have a surround system. For the Waldstein, there are many recommendable performances. I'd note the great, but little known, Annie Fischer on Hungaroton.

Dvořák's Ninth is bettered by his even more dramatic Seventh Symphony. Szell and also Dohnanyi with the Cleveland orchestra are both great in this work, Dohnanyi has the better recorded sound.

Scheherazade became a popular orchestral warhorse due in large part to colorful orchestration and the use of a very large orchestra. This brings to mind two other high-romantic symphonic works, Saint-Saens' Third [Organ] Symphony and Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique. There's is an old, but particularly well-recorded performance with Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, on a hybrid SACD from RCA. I am especially fond of the same forces in the Symphonie Fantastique, also on a hybrid SACD from RCA. Munch was particularly expert with French Romantic music.

*I'll cop to being a fanatic.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m sort of the opposite, although there are examples in these bands I really like. But to me, Schubert, Beethoven, Brahms, Schumann, Ravel, Debussy, Faure, Mahler…golden age.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Scheherazade became a popular orchestral warhorse due in large part to colorful orchestration and the use of a very large orchestra. This brings to mind two other high-romantic symphonic works, Saint-Saens' Third [Organ] Symphony and Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique. There's is an old, but particularly well-recorded performance with Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, on a hybrid SACD from RCA. I am especially fond of the same forces in the Symphonie Fantastique, also on a hybrid SACD from RCA. Munch was particularly expert with French Romantic music. ...
Good suggestions. Most classical music listeners have more than 1 performance of these pieces. I'll add two other performances pairs I like:
Modern:
In 2019 Les Siecles performed Symphony Fantastique on Harmonia Mundi, a great performance and recording.
In 2020 Petrenko conducted the Oslo Phil playing Scheherazade on Lawo, a great performance and recording.

Vintage:
The Reiner / Chicago recording of Scheherazada on RCA Victor, or the Chesky reissue.
The Freccia / Royal Phil recording of Symphony Fanatastique on RCA Victor, or the Chesky reissue.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Last edited:
Top Bottom