• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do not know anything I can improve for my AVR set

OP
C

cheungliu

You need a device to measure. Something like the U-MIK 1 a laptop with HDMI out and the free software REW would be the most beginner friendly setup. If you already have the computer, you only have to buy the measurement mic, around 100€, IIRC.

Then you need a device that is actually capable of 20-20KHz room correction DSP. Not sure if your current Onkyo can do that. No clue how good the "AccuEQ" is. However, once you can measure, you can measure the same signal with and without the EQ, to see what it does.

Just to reiterate: how exactly do you get the Dolby Atmos signal into the AVR?
You mentioned a blu-ray player that works. (Due to HDMI outs, these don't actually need HDMI 2.1 to make Atmos work)

Since your X90J is eARC capable, if you want to use ATMOS streams, the first order of business would indeed be the AVR. The 3700H has eARC capability, so that should work nicely.

My AVR support Dolby Atmos but the HDMI is only 2.0 hence there is no way to test the Atmos without the Blu-ray
Seems I really need to find the AVR with pre-out and HDMI 2.1 available first.

Thanks for your DSP measurement ability information. I would have a try.
But one question want to know, for the measurement mic, is it connected to the computer but not the AVR? Coz the AVR had the measuring mic for the AccuEQ measure.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems I really need to find the AVR with pre-out and HDMI 2.1 available first.
You need eARC. Technically, eARC can be realized within the HDMI 2.0 protocol but I'd wager that such devices are rare.

Yes, the UMIK-1 is a USB microphone with a calibration file and connected to the computer running REW. You could technically use any mic but w/o access to hardware calibration, you would lose measurement accuracy. How much? Depends on how linear the mic is.

For giggles, you can give the measurements a shot by connecting your AVR's mic to the computer or use the laptop's internal mic (to familiarize yourself with the setup) but be aware of the limitations.

OP
C

cheungliu

You need eARC. Technically, eARC can be realized within the HDMI 2.0 protocol but I'd wager that such devices are rare.

Yes, the UMIK-1 is a USB microphone with a calibration file and connected to the computer running REW. You could technically use any mic but w/o access to hardware calibration, you would lose measurement accuracy. How much? Depends on how linear the mic is.

For giggles, you can give the measurements a shot by connecting your AVR's mic to the computer or use the laptop's internal mic (to familiarize yourself with the setup) but be aware of the limitations.
Thanks want to ask a silly question
why I need a laptop with the HDMI output for the UMIK-1 connection?

Last edited:

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks want to ask a silly question
why I need a laptop with the HDMI output for the UMIK-1 connection?
So you can feed a multichannel test signal into your AVR.
Else, you are pretty much limited to stereo or 5.1 (TOSLINK).
Not sure whether REW can handle Atmos channels at all, to be honest, multichannel support is flaky as it is.

Top Bottom