• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do not choose speakers by reading reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

HorizonsEdge

Rather than reading reviews ; Find out who designed the speakers and under what conditions.

This is a ridiculous assertion. Inappropriate in the generic manner in which it was offered.

You clearly have an opinion and a recipe but you left out all the important supporting criteria so ridiculous and useless.

I suggest you expand your platitude into a thesis if you plan to post non-crap.

DWI

I don't think there isn't a single company that is not oriented to make money, so in all companies I'm aware off the business pragmatist guy is in charge, not the science idealist guy. IMHO, the difference is the target: Wilson Audio (to use some name) is targeted at people with a lot of budget that doesn't care about measurements and want to be impressed by the sound, and then the engineers try to achieve such product. Genelec's or Neumann's target is someone that with good numbers and maybe a recommendation by someone trustworthy can buy a pair without hearing them. And then there are a lot of companies in the middle. But I think it's more a company idiosyncrasy than a matter of the specific designer, that may not be a single person to begin with, don't you think?
I agree, if a company isn't into making money, the shareholders should sack the directors and get a new bunch that are into making money.

Wilson (and just about any other consumer audio brand) are into making speakers that look and sound good in people's homes so that they can enjoy listening to music. Genelec make speakers that audio engineers can rely upon for 100% accuracy in acoustically designed recording studios when engineering and mastering recordings. I don't understand why anyone expects these products to be similar, but there are some that do both jobs pretty well.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ok, now I have to see this tested by Amir. I'm sure on this one occasion his wife won't mind giving a helping hand. ;)

For this one, I think it takes a Village..

Descartes

Major Contributor
I chose my new speakers exclusively by reading reviews. When I read Amir's review of them, in which he confirmed by ear the excellent measurements he posted, that was enough for me. I thought I was really happy with them too, but now I learn I may have made a mistake? Should I return them now? I'm so confused...
Good measurements by two independent labs is necessary to weed out bad speakers but then one needs to do listening sessions preferably in your own environment with all same equipment, room, condition, volume level and time so that you can decide for yourself!

Descartes

Major Contributor
However accurate it is a small speaker, not capable of sounding like a concert hall. I pass on anything with less than a 10 inch woofer.
Well then you maybe missing out! Do you always listen at concert hall level? If you do you will loose your hearing very fast!

OP
G

Goodman

This is a ridiculous assertion. Inappropriate in the generic manner in which it was offered.

You clearly have an opinion and a recipe but you left out all the important supporting criteria so ridiculous and useless.

I suggest you expand your platitude into a thesis if you plan to post non-crap.
I looked at your "non crap replies" such as: "You are over thinking it. Get something you can afford that has a remote". Impressive and profound thesis indeed..

OP
G

Goodman

Well then you maybe missing out! Do you always listen at concert hall level? If you do you will loose your hearing very fast!
Hearing loss is going to happen any way, but if you have ever stood in front of a band, you know that drums don't sound pretty and that they are always going to be loader than a flute.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I looked at your "non crap replies" such as: "You are over thinking it. Get something you can afford that has a remote". Impressive and profound thesis indeed..
To be fair, I'm not sure you are articulating your point effectively nor eloquently either. You say don't buy based on reviews, then mention something about market conditions, but then list some review sources that are ok? Perhaps you could take a minute to compose more coherent statements and explain what you really mean?

HorizonsEdge

So unwilling or unable to support your claim. Preference towards internet jousting. Why even bother posting in this forum?

OP
G

Goodman

Good measurements by two independent labs is necessary to weed out bad speakers but then one needs to do listening sessions preferably in your own environment with all same equipment, room, condition, volume level and time so that you can decide for yourself!
Absolutely, but who offer that kind of service?

OP
G

Goodman

I don't think there isn't a single company that is not oriented to make money, so in all companies I'm aware off the business pragmatist guy is in charge, not the science idealist guy. IMHO, the difference is the target: Wilson Audio (to use some name) is targeted at people with a lot of budget that doesn't care about measurements and want to be impressed by the sound, and then the engineers try to achieve such product. Genelec's or Neumann's target is someone that with good numbers and maybe a recommendation by someone trustworthy can buy a pair without hearing them. And then there are a lot of companies in the middle. But I think it's more a company idiosyncrasy than a matter of the specific designer, that may not be a single person to begin with, don't you think?
I agree with you comparison of Wilson audio to Genelec. There is not much engineering in the big Wilsons just four or five speakers with caps and coils. Old, tired stuff. Not impressive.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Choose speakers ONE way. Listen to them The best speakers are relatively terrible, so it is your preference, and yours alone what set of defects is most acceptable to you.

I don't listen to speakers in a anechoic chamber, so they are of little use unless you are designing and testing drivers. Who designed one? Irrelevant. Their environment? Irreverent. Performance and price in your eyes. Relevant.

I have been building speakers off and on for 40 years. I used to believe is some of that stuff. I know better now. Smarter designers will test their speakers in a variety of "typical" environments and choose the best tradeoffs. A studio monitor is not what I want in my living room. My living room speakers are not what I want in a big dedicated HT and so on. A speaker targeting the Asian market may not be preferable for the Western market.

Again, listen. To the speakers, not reviewers. The worst speakers I ever bought were tip top rated in their class by all the magazines. Paradigm Studio 20's.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I agree with you comparison of Wilson audio to Genelec. There is not much engineering in the big Wilsons just four or five speakers with caps and coils. Old, tired stuff. Not impressive.
Agree the older Wilsons were less than impressive. Newer ones are getting a lot better. But they are not in the best sounding speaker business. They are in the ego-prestige business. People buy Wilsons to say they have Wilsons. I would rather have a pair of 2Ce's in my living room. Ugly, but not as ugly and they are still one of the most listenable speakers in the market.

HOW you get results in not important. Results are. Caps and coils work very well if you know how to use them. They are not the weak link in speakers. The drivers are. You can't fix a poor driver with DSP any more than with caps and coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom