• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do network streamers need to be expensive?

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so far then it seems that I can stay with my wiim and do not care about it too much
Yes. It gives bit-perfect high-rez digital output. Not much to improve other than features, and it's feature set is good too.

TSB

The difference is in the software.

Support for more streaming services, EQ, room correction, voice assistants, multi-room, nice apps and UI experience, update policy, easy of use, remote controllable, etc..

If you have no need for those features then you don't need to spend a lot of money

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When WiiM gets Roon then you have everything including a monthly bill.

Kegemusha

I have old chromecast audio since they launched them, they are ok, costed like 40$, but I will buy a Wiim, I also experience dropouts if I listen many hrs per day.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Streamers are more about features than audio quality. If it works well as an endpoint for your player, and has the right interface for your DAC, you are probably all set. For me, I want Roon, and Chromecast or Airplay, plus USB out. That's it. Raspberry Pi 3 or 4, ROPIEEXL, I'm done.

For volume control in roon - I have a Cambridge Audio streamer which does all of the above and then some.

Reactions: TSB

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a regular original Chromecast, a Chromecast audio, and my NVidia shield has a built in Chromecast. Plus I have a Mele Quieter 3 which I control with a remote Logitech keyboard. I can't even conceive why I would ever need to buy another streamer, let alone pay thousands of dollars for it. Wouldn't even spend another dollar on a streamer if I won $2 billion in Powerball, and I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on absolutely nothing.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love my Bluesound Node, especially its excellent (to my mind) user interface. I have no illusions that its audio output is any better than that of the Wiim products or other "cheap" streamers.

symphara

I have a regular original Chromecast, a Chromecast audio, and my NVidia shield has a built in Chromecast. Plus I have a Mele Quieter 3 which I control with a remote Logitech keyboard. I can't even conceive why I would ever need to buy another streamer, let alone pay thousands of dollars for it. Wouldn't even spend another dollar on a streamer if I won $2 billion in Powerball, and I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on absolutely nothing.
I have those various Chromecast devices too. The Shield is a more complex thing, being an Android TV you can install stuff on it, we personally use it for AV and never just to play music but I'm not sure if Tidal Atmos worked on it.

One would be missing DSD playback (perhaps the Shield can do it, but certainly not the dongles). MQA too, for what is worth.

If you have an iPhone it's also less than ideal, I had some issues, not all streaming services work, I couldn't get gapless playback (I think this is an intrinsic Chromecast issue).
I've never tried it myself but I also have the feeling that Apple Music / Spatial Audio /Atmos (whatever they call their surround thing) might not work.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I also have a Mele Quieter 3 as a streamer. It runs Amazon Music HD, Foobar2000, and Dirac Standalone. I control it with RDP on my Android tablet. Could not be happier. $200 for the hardware.

I was pretty much forced this direction by being an Amazon Music subscriber who demands DRC.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Unless you really want a big, nice, quality SCREEN aside the phone app plus a good REMOTE control, then it gets expensive.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Unless you really want a big, nice, quality SCREEN aside the phone app plus a good REMOTE control, then it gets expensive.
Is a 75" QLED big enough and of sufficient quality? What about the remote control on my integrated amp? Lots of different scenarios out there.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Yeah, I have some friends that only accept streamers with built in large screen and handy remote, the 1k type of streamers. I asked what's the point, as I am happy with Wiim Pro and the phone screen, but they are willing to pay for such devices to allow them to navigate their own FLACs on their server, directly on the streamer screen.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Yeah, I have some friends that only accept streamers with built in large screen and handy remote, the 1k type of streamers. I asked what's the point, as I am happy with Wiim Pro and the phone screen, but they are willing to pay for such devices to allow them to navigate their own FLACs on their server, directly on the streamer screen.
Those people are weridos. I had a Cambridge CXNv2 for a few years. I disabled the volume control and found the tiny screen to be useless unless I was laying on the floor in front of it. Eventually, once I discovered Dirac, it turned into a USB DAC, which made it pointless. So, it was replaced with a $200 USB DAC, which I eventually fronted with a $200 silent PC. Works perfectly and supports RDP, a TV screen, keyboard and mouse if desired, any software I want to run, etc.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Streamers are more about features than audio quality. If it works well as an endpoint for your player, and has the right interface for your DAC, you are probably all set. For me, I want Roon, and Chromecast or Airplay, plus USB out. That's it. Raspberry Pi 3 or 4, ROPIEEXL, I'm done.
is there an echo in here?

Hey @BDWoody I think appliancechoices is an ad bot. inspect the links where it says "blogs"

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And you can use BubbleUPNP or equivalent to navigate your library anyway

rperry01

Great discussion that all makes sense. I'm just starting to take streaming seriously and have been, of course, reading a ton of audio streamer reviews. Very confusing that there are claims that a streamer is adding things like 'sound stage', 'clarity' etc. Now, obviously, if the streamer is manipulating the digital bits (DSP?), then sure, there will be a difference. This thread confirms my understanding that as long as the digital file's journey (whether streamed from the internet or from NAS) doesn't encounter packet loss, the streamer should be able to pass those bits to an external DAC unaltered.
One of the claims I see regularly is that power supply or fan noise affects the output of bits to the DAC? Is there any validity to this claim? Is a usb connection susceptible to data corruption based on such electromagnetic noise?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very confusing that there are claims that a streamer is adding things like 'sound stage', 'clarity' etc.
Intentionally confusing and dishonest, I'd say.

One of the claims I see regularly is that power supply or fan noise affects the output of bits to the DAC? Is there any validity to this claim? Is a usb connection susceptible to data corruption based on such electromagnetic noise?

Not to the digital stream (that would show up as dropouts). I think @amirm covers it here:

I'm just starting to take streaming seriously

Streaming access is one of the biggest improvements in my lifetime (I'm 59). When I was a kid, I used to go to a music library to explore, pulling records off the shelf and playing them in uncomfortable headphones. Now I sit in my living room, with my great-sounding (and cheap, apart from speakers) system and have everything at my finger tips in high quality. A musical omnivore's dream come true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom