• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do MQA DACs benefit non-MQA music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lossless

Reputable YouTube reviewers and in forums it has been said that MQA equipped DACs have the ability to improve non-MQA files because of the MQA DAC’s impulse response filters used in the MQA rendering process. I have noticed regular FLAC files seem to have more depth, better separation, better soundstage, better dynamics, and bass response when using DAC’s certified for MQA. Is there any science behind these claims than an MQA DAC can improved regular FLAC sound quality?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
L

Lossless

I wouldn't bother with that guy....audiophool big time.
Hans seems well versed and seems to have the ability to explain otherwise confusing topics to others in plain English.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Is there any science behind the claim that MQA can line the pockets of reputable YouTube reviewers?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hans seems well versed and seems to have the ability to explain otherwise confusing topics to others in plain English.
Yeah, he makes stuff up and believes in nonsense, too.

ps His english is better than my dutch, but that's not saying a lot....

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Would you be able to explain why there wouldn’t or couldn’t be a change in SQ by the way a MQA DAC handles a signal?

There could well be a change, due to additional (unnecessary and therefore potentially detrimental) processing, but there could never be an improvement.

Reactions: RHO

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Reputable YouTube reviewers and in forums it has been said that MQA equipped DACs have the ability to improve non-MQA files because of the MQA DAC’s impulse response filters used in the MQA rendering process. I have noticed regular FLAC files seem to have more depth, better separation, better soundstage, better dynamics, and bass response when using DAC’s certified for MQA. Is there any science behind these claims than an MQA DAC can improved regular FLAC sound quality?
I fooled around with a number of MQA-enabled DACs, many of which defaulted to the MQA-specific filter. However, when I manually chose among the non-MQA filters and aurally compared the sound on non-MQA sources with the MQA filter, I always preferred the sound of several non-MQA filters.

So, my experience is different from yours and I know of no reason why the MQA filter would be optimum for non-MQA source material.

OP
L

Lossless

I don’t know. I do know there’s FLAC music I’ve listened to that seems better using MQA DAC. Maybe it’s the apodizing filter.‍

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I don’t think the MQA DAC unfolding process is even triggered by non-MQA content. I have a MQA DAC dongle and the MQA light does not activate for Any non-MQA content. So what you are speculating seems rather improbable at best. But this is just my opinion and about as trustworthy as your source.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Is temporal blur not a real thing?

I know it’s a real special effect in video editing. Can you link to a paper that explains how it pertains to digital audio?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Is temporal blur not a real thing?
I think probably not. But perhaps if you define what you think temporal blur is, we'd stand a better chance of telling you whether that is a thing or not.

OP
L

Lossless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom